GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,444
3 members and 2,441 guests
Cookiez17, navane

Old 12-14-2000, 03:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy Can anyone help?

I have attended community colleges for the past four years and now I plan to attend a university for my masters degree. One thing I have been longing to do is join a sorority. Only problem is...with all of the things I have heard, I'm starting to wonder whether it will be worth while or not. So my questions are: What is the hardest part about joining a sorority? Is there any hazing involved? If so, do I have to be apart of it? Is there an age limit? What is a rush? Are there any membership dues? What are some of the advantages in joining a sorority? Are there any possibilities of advancement within a sorority? E.g. Director, President, etc.? Is there any community service involved? Any information that anyone can provide will be very helpful...THANKS!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-14-2000, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Hardest part about joining: deciding which group suits you best

Hazing: forbidden by every national group and all college campuses

Age limit: no, but most national groups require collegiate members to be undergrads. There may be exceptions but those are on a 'by group' basis.

Rush: former term used to describe the membership selection process

Dues: Yes, both local and national fees. Costs vary from group to group and from campus to campus.

Advantages: lifelong friendships, community service, networking, campus involvement, leadership skills, teamwork

Advancement: anything you desire!

Community service: YES, absolutely.

Sororities also have alumnae chapters that offer similar opportunities for their members. Membership criteria to join as a college grad varies from group to group.

The historically African-American groups have different membership selection processes than those of the NPC (National Panhellenic Conference).

All groups look for women that are outgoing, hardworking and want to be involved in a chapter and on campus. High grades are also a plus.

If you check my Panhellenic link below, you will read some detailed information regarding NPC recruitment and there are links to the 26 members of the NPC. For information on the NPHC (National Pan-Hellenic Council), visit http://www.nphc.org.

------------------
Fraternally,
Barbara
Zeta Tau Alpha Alumna

If you have to go around telling everyone you're in charge you're not much of a leader.
Tallahassee Area Alumnae of ZTA
Tallahassee Alumnae Panhellenic & Sorority Recruitment FAQ
Old 12-14-2000, 05:09 PM

e-rogers--I'm curious, if you've been attending community colleges for four years, doesn't that mean that your degree(s) is/are associates?
Old 12-15-2000, 10:55 AM
GreekChat Member

To SoCalGirl:

Due to several changes to my major, I will have my associate degree in February 2001 and my bachelor degree in February 2002. After that time, I plan to pursue my master degree. But before I do, what ever university I choose to attend, I will probably take some courses there before I enter a graduate degree program.

Thank you 'PnguinTrax' for your helpful information!