GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,652
2 members and 1,650 guests
Overthinker, Sister Havana

Old 06-25-2000, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverTurtle
blu_theatrics..

I'm assuming you mean tattoos related to your GLO, BGLO, LGLO so I think that's kind of on topic

I would never get my fraternity's letters or crest (or motto... etc,) tattooed on me out of respect for those things and what they represent to and for me.

I don't know that I ever would, but have no problem with, getting tattoos of symbols, mascots, etc. as long as these aren't things that would immediately associate me with my GLO. For exapmle, one of my fraternity's symbols is a yellow rose. If I have that tattooed on me, you're not going to know why until I tell you.

My reasoning is that there are times that you wouldn't be wearing your letters (such as if you're out drinking with friends.. things like this). If you have a visable tattoo that immediately associates you with XYZ, then it reflects that entire organization. (I think someone mentioned this on another thread also). This is another reason I wouldn't get my letters, crest, etc. as a tattoo.

My love for my GLO should show without those permanent marks, through my actions, conversations, and aid to the organization.

Of course, this is how I see things. I have seen people get their letters and such tattooed on them, and I can respect that they do this out of love and pride for their org.

Incidentally, I'm getting my first tattoo in a couple of weeks, and I'm geeked!!! (And it has nothing to do with my fratenrity).

------------------
SilverTurtle@greekchat.com
Phi Beta Fraternity
Phi chapter
Old 07-10-2000, 09:58 AM
GreekChat Member

I didn't read everything about racism and this and that. To answer the original branding question. It had little to do with slavery and more to do with African scarification rituals. These rituals showed which societies an individual belonged to just like our brands do today
Old 08-05-2000, 10:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to Eli
Maybe that will be my christmas present to the fraternity, I will have someone make a brand for my fraternity! Wow, that would be cool. maybe I could get it on my shoulder or something.

Easy E www.angelfire.com/va2/gammachi
Old 08-05-2000, 06:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverTurtle
7BA-

I've never heard that before, but it makes a lot of sense. And I can see how it would be quite sacred to members of certain orgs. if it's viewed in that light. Thanks for a different perspective.

------------------
SilverTurtle@greekchat.com
Phi Beta Fraternity
Phi chapter
Old 08-21-2000, 05:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

As a proud Royal Purple and Old Gold, wearing member of Omega Psi Phi fraternity inc. I believe that it is essential for me to speak on this topic. I have been branded. First of all what makes my brands any different than the tattoos which I can almost guarantee that some of you possess. I was branded of my own free will and accord. I am a man, along with that I am an American. I believe that I do reserve the right to express myself or do anything else I choose as long as I do not injure or offend others ( and I do also believe that I can offend someone if I choose). Branding for me was a way to express to myself and others, the true sense of love and esteem which I possess for my fraternity. As for the slavery issue. I do believe that during those times most slaves had to do the will and desire of their "master", I am no slave. I practice my own wants and desires. During the time of such unfortunate pain and humiliation, slaves also had to eat what was available for them. Green were the weeds that grew in the "masters" gardens. Pig's feet and chitterlings were often discarded pieces of pork after the "masters" family had cut the choice pieces for their own elaborate feasts. Then in this case why is it that I will always enjoy the scrumptous "soul food" dinners which my mother and gradmother continue to prepare. Not to mention the reason the church is such an essential part of the black heritage, is because during the time of the slaves, the only refuge or enjoyment which we as black people were allowed was the family like atmosphere which the church provided to a people who had often know one else to turn to. I know that I have and never will turn my back on my church or heritage.
Old 08-31-2000, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

I've read a few posts about being branded while "pledging" or being on line.......

I have NEVER herad of this.

QUESTION: What happens if that person gets branded and then DROPS??!!