GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,269
0 members and 2,269 guests
No Members online

Old 07-18-2000, 01:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Studio 33 (aka The Bob Barker Studio), CBS Television City
I wrestled with the issue of posting a reply and I must say this to the BGLO members reading:

I agree with those posts that said that the best response to an "inappropriate" response is no response at all. To post a reply just to say "That is priviledged information" gives an air of stuffiness and arrogance. I understand the "research" part. Hell, I did a lot on my own GLO alone. But a more dignified response is not to respond; the interested person should get the message as far as the question is concerned. To respond to an "inappropriate" question validates the question whether you want it to or not.

Just my $19.25
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-18-2000, 04:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DELTABRAT:

BGLOs have a strong "work" ethic...you WORK hard to get in and work even harder when you cross. NOTHING is handed to anyone.
I can understand that BGLO's have a different approach to joining a particular organization, and I can respect that there are plenty of differences between BGLO's and GLO's, but I must emphasize that members of GLO's also work very hard for what they love. I was, and still am, fully committed to being a sister of Alpha Chi Omega Fraternity for Women. I worked hard to become a member, and have definitely worked harder since being initiated. Nothing was handed to me or my pledge sisters.

I realize this statement wasn't made to anyone in particular, but to me, I felt like it suggested that other organizations don't work hard for membership. Its kind of along the same line as saying BGLO membership is for life but GLO's aren't. I have stated previously that BGLO members are much more visible in public than others. But I would never suggest that one group worked hard for membership while another was handed their badge on a silver platter.

I don't mean any offense to any member of any group. I just don't want someone saying that BGLO's work harder for membership than others.
Old 07-18-2000, 05:49 PM
GreekChat Member

AXO:

I apologize if you interpreted my words the wrong way. I did mean what I said, however, I feel it is a general sentiment among members of BGLOs that one must work hard to gather information about our organizations as well. I think the difference is what members of GLOs deem as being public information and NOT public. Information that is freely given, for instance, over the internet, is information that most of us feel needs to be "worked" for. Not that things were handed to you or anyone else in GLOs, but whereas ACHIGirl said "I'll answer your question, it is a relevant one and one that college students and prospective members alike need to know..." (paraphrasing), I think most BGLO members acknowledged prettygyrl as having asked a very significant and important question, many of us feel that there are other ways of acquiring the information. AS my Soror Crimson Tide 4 put it, it makes it more special when found out from members of the sorority in which you may be interested. Additionally, many people who inquire may not make it, if they are serious, they will seek the information. I don't think it is wrong for us to say "Good question prettygyrl, but inappropriate here." prettygyrl KNOWS she is cool with me, that doesn't mean I'll change my viewpoint.

Sorry for the confusion, not to mention length of this post.
Old 07-19-2000, 01:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Wink

You are right Deltabrat. There is nothing wrong with you saying "Good question just inappropriate here" Once again i thank you for responding to my question in such a civilized matter. I can take it if someone tells me a question I have asked is inappropriate. ( I need to know these things) I just do not like it if someone responds to me, by attacking me my and question. Let me know the question was wrong, just like someone said in another forum there is a civilized way to let people know. I appreciate those responses.