GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,356
0 members and 2,356 guests
No Members online

Old 01-05-2004, 05:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking Books in 2006: Princess Briana Fairytale

Letter from e. lynn harris:

Dear Friends:

I wanted to be among the first to wish you and your family a happy,
healthy new year filled with blessings and joy.

Also, I wanted to let you know I will be on the Tom Joyner show
tomorrow morning at 8:45 EST/7:45 CST/6:45 PST discussing the stage
musical debut of my sixth novel, Not A Day Goes By.

The musical will debut January 10, 2004 in my hometown of Little Rock,
Arkansas, and will travel to seventeen cities, so it's very likely
that it will be coming to a location near you. Please visit my website http://info.randomhouse.com/cgi-bin2...U5tm0W10LdQ0AO for
dates and tour cities. Tickets can be
purchased via http://info.randomhouse.com/cgi-bin2...U5tm0W10QgN0AT or at
your local Ticketmaster outlet. Jackee from 227 and Sister, Sister fame and American Idol favorite, Trenyce will star in the production.

As always, I thank you for your wonderful support.

Blessings and joy,
e. lynn harris

Old 01-06-2004, 09:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Kimberla Lawson Roby's Tour and Synopsis

TOO MUCH OF A GOOD THING Tour Schedule as of January 6, 2004

Rockford Saturday, January 10, 2004
Signing 1:00 PM
WAL-MART
3849 Northridge Drive
Rockford , IL 61114

Detroit Monday, January 12, 2004
Signing 12:00 PM
Waldenbooks #1565
Renaissance Center SP 1-3
300 Renaissance Center
Detroit , MI 48243
(313) 259-8263

Reading/Signing 5:00 PM 6:30 PM
Shrine of the Black Madonna
13535 Livernois Avenue
Detroit , MI 48238
(313) 491-0777

Los Angeles Tuesday, January 13, 2004
Reading/Signing 7:00 PM
ESOWAN BOOKS
3655 S. La Brea
Los Angeles , CA 90016
(213) 294-0324

Los Angeles Wednesday, January 14, 2004
Reading/Discussion 7:00 PM
ZAHRA'S BOOKS
900 N. La Brea Ave
Inglewood , CA 90302
(310) 330-1300

Dallas Thursday, January 15, 2004
Reading/Signing 6:00 PM 8:00 PM
BLACK IMAGES
230 Wynnewood Village
Dallas , TX 75224
(214) 943-0142

Houston Friday, January 16, 2004
WALDENBOOKS
The Park Shops
1200 McKinney Avenue
Houston , TX 77010
(713) 951-0041

Reading/Signing 5:00 PM
SHRINE OF THE BLACK MADONNA
5309 Martin Luther King Blvd
Houston , TX 77021
(713) 645-1160

Raleigh/Durham Saturday January 17, 2004
Reading/Signing 2:00 PM
Barnes & Noble
5400 New Hope Commons
Durham , NC 27707
(919) 419-8290

New York - Monday, January 19, 2004
Reading/Signing 3:30 PM 6:00 PM
African-American Writers & Readers Literary Tea
WESTCHESTER LIBRARY SYSTEM
Abigail Kirsch's Tappan Hill
81 Highland Avenue
Tarrytown , NY 10591

Philadelphia Tuesday, January 20, 2004
FREE LIBRARY OF PHILADELHIA
1901 Vine Street
Philadelphia , PA 19103

New York Wednesday , January 21, 2004
Readng/Signing 6:00 PM 7:30 PM
BROWNSTONE BOOKS
409 Lewis Avenue
Brooklyn , NY 11233
(718) 953-7328

Columbus , GA Thursday, January 22, 2004
Signing 7:00 PM
Waldenbooks
Peachtree Mall
3153 Manchester Road
Columbus , GA 3190 1
(706) 322-7287
hosted by April Hand, Host of The Diva's Den
K95.7

Atlanta Friday, January 23, 2004
Signing 5:00 6:30 PM
Nubian Bookstore
2449 South Lake Mall
Morrow, GA 30260
(678) 422-6120

Signing 7:00 PM
Sign & Dine
Copeland's Restaurant
Buckhead Location
Atlanta , GA
(770) 808-2177

Jackson , MS Saturday, 24, 2004
Signing
Time - 1:00 PM
Waldenbooks Metrocenter Mall
3645 Hwy 80 W
Jackson , MS 39209
Hosted by Reading Between The Lines Book Club

Chicago Tuesday, January 27, 2004
Signing 12:30 PM
AFROCENTRIC BOOKS
333 South State Street
Chicago , IL 60604
(312) 939-1956

BORDERS BOOKS
2210 W. 95th Street
Chicago , IL 60643
(773) 445-5471

Chicago Wednesday, January 28, 2004
Waldenbooks #1859
Citicorp Center Main Floor
500 W. Madison Street
Chicago , IL 60661
(312) 627-8334

Milwaukee Friday, January 30, 2004
Reading/Discussion/Signing 5:30 PM
CULTURAL CONNECTION
3424 W. Villard Avenue
Milwaukee , WI 53209
(414) 461-6160

Tulsa - Monday, February 2, 2004
Reading/Discussion/Signing 7:00 PM
RUDISILL REGIONAL LIBRARY
1520 N. Hartford
Tulsa , OK 74106
(918) 596-7280

Oklahoma City Tuesday, February 3, 2004
Reception/Signing 1:30 3:30 PM
Langston University
Langston , OK
(405) 466-3372

Signing 5:00 PM 7:00 PM
Waldenbooks
Penn Square Mall
Oklahoma City , OK

Oklahoma City Wednesday, February 4, 2004
Signing 11:00 AM 1:00 PM
Black History Month Celebration
Tinker Air Force Base Conference Center
Midwest City , OK
(405) 739-3041

Signing 4:00 PM 6:00 PM
Base Exchange Store
Tinker Air Force Base
Midwest City , OK

Cincinnati Friday, February 6, 2004
Time and Location - TBD
Reading/Signing
Reach For The Stars 2004 Celebration
Cincinnati , OH
Sponsored by Applause Magazine

Cincinnati Saturday , February 7, 2004
Signing - 1:00 - 2:30 PM
Kroger Black History Month Program
Reading/Signing
Kroger
6150 Glenway Road
Cincinnati , OH
sponsored by Levy Distributors

Austin , TX Saturday, February 14, 2004
Signing 2:00 PM
Mitchies Fine Black Art & Gallery
Grand Opening Weekend new location
Airport Boulevard
Austin , TX
(512) 323-6901

San Antonio , TX Saturday, March 20, 2004
Reading/Signing
Time and Location TBD
Luncheon
San Antonio , TX
Hosted by The Ladies Book Club of San Antonio , TX

San Francisco ( Fairfield ) Saturday, March 27, 2004
Time - TBD
Reading/Signing
Black Authors Literary Luncheon
Holiday Inn
Fairfield , CA
Sponsored by Mt. Calvary Baptist Church
in Suisun , CA

Baltimore Saturday, May 1, 2004
Time and Location TBD
Reading/Signing
Literary Showers II Luncheon
Baltimore , MD
Sponsored by Girlfriends Reading Circle

New Orleans Fri, Sat, Sun, October 15-17, 2004
Location in Quarters TBD
Literary Retreat for Women Who Love to Read
New Orleans , LA
Sponsored by Atlantic Book Post

Synopsis
Too Much of a Good Thing
Kimberla Lawson Roby
ISBN: 0060568496
US $23.95

The Essence bestselling and Blackboard Award-winning author of A TASTE OF REALITY spins a riveting tale about a philandering minister that readers will love to hate—the same minister they loved hating in Roby’s enormously successful CASTING THE FIRST STONE.

Curtis Black might be a man of the cloth, but with his irresistible looks, seductive charm, and charismatic personality, he’s particularly beloved by his female church members—and almost every other woman he’s ever met.

The trouble is, Curtis is married. At first he tries to resist temptation but not for long. His insatiable appetite for women quickly gets the best of him. Overwhelmed by his sizzling love affairs, and busy trying to convince the deacon board of the need for an ATM machine in the back of the church, Curtis has his hands full. Meanwhile Mariah, his second wife, is slowly discovering that beneath the tranquil and loving facade of their marriage, a storm of lies and betrayal is about to burst.

Not to mention that Curtis’s already shaky relationship with his teenaged daughter Alicia has reached the breaking point. Feeling neglected and unloved, Alicia searches for solace in the arms of a stranger, and before long she finds herself in a dangerous situation.

Eventually, the women in Curtis’s life find that with a little careful planning—sneaky and otherwise—they can help Curtis to reap the punishment that he so richly deserves. With her trademark wit and insight, Kimberla Lawson Roby sets sparks flying in this captivating and dramatic sequel to CASTING THE FIRST STONE.
Old 01-15-2004, 09:14 AM
GreekChat Member

New African-American Novel - "Love Coated Cries For The Streets" By Shontaine
ISBN 1-59109-898-X

Philadelphia, PA - "Love Coated Cries For The Streets" by Shontaine focuses on two young black lovers surrounded by a world of crime. The characters are no victims, though. Shadie and Symir meet and fall in love while in high school. Nearly inseparable, they experience firsthand the ups and downs of adult relationships. Complicating their world is Symir's desire to be Philadelphia's most legendary drug lord ever.

Symir's ways begin to interfere with the relationship. The two begin to grow apart and eventually drift away from one another. Years later, when they rediscover each other, things are much more explosive. Still ensnared in a web of criminal activities, sex, murder, and mayhem ensue. Read the book to get the real feel.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Shontaine was raised in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and Long Beach, California. She started writing short stories and poetry at the tender age of seven. She has written and directed plays for family and friends. She served a year with City Year Americorp, and utilized her writing skills there as well, writing and directing plays with the high school students she mentored.

She currently resides in Philadelphia with L.J., her son. "Love Coated Cries For The Streets" is available through BookSurge.com for $12.99. Booksellers and libraries may order through BooksInPrint.com or GlobalBookPeddler.com - Trade discounts apply.

5341 Dorchester Road, Suite 16
North Charleston, SC 29418
www.booksurge.com
Old 01-15-2004, 09:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Detroit, MI - Despite progress that has been made in the struggle for racial equality, many women of color have yet to fully understand their true worth and potential. In author Terri McFaddin's newest book entitled Sapphires and Other Precious Jewels, she uncovers the distorted perceptions African American women deal with on a daily basis and empowers them to embrace and celebrate their value and strength.

In Sapphires and Other Precious Jewels (WaterBrook/Random House, 224 pages, paperback, 1-57856-599-5, $12.99), McFaddin draws from biblical scripture to describe 12 precious gemstones that correlate to a characteristic shared by women of African descent. The book is written for women of African ancestry, particularly those who need to discover and rediscover their beauty and value. McFaddin hopes the book will tackle the self-esteem issues many women of color have and give them the courage to overcome the adversities in their life.

"If any race of women should recognize that their value is far above rubies, pearls and sapphires, it's those of African ancestry," says McFaddin. "The challenges that Black women have faced throughout history might have crushed their spirits. But instead adversity has caused these women to shine with the brilliance of precious jewels."

Sapphires and Other Precious Jewels is due to be released on January 20, 2004. Receiving endorsements from entertainers like Marilyn McCoo and Alaine Reed Hall, relationships experts Michelle McKinney Hammond and Dr. Ronn Elmore and African American Woman on Tour founder Marie Dowd, the book sizzles.

To schedule an interview with author Terri McFaddin, contact Pam Perry at (248) 426-2300. For more information on the Grammy award-winning author, go to: www.terrimcfaddin.org. The book is also available at amazon.com and bookstores across the nation.

Old 01-18-2004, 02:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Told in a distinctive style, BLAME IT ON THE RAIN marks the debut of K. Mitchell Thomas, a new voice in African-American fiction.

Blame It On The Rain - Synopsis

March Anne Terrebonne is determined to revive her humdrum life once she moves to Houston. At thirty-two, she turns her career corporate, ditches the SUV for a trendy Mercedes and buys her own gated-community dream house. The only thing left unchanged is her habit for attracting “bad boys.” That is—until the illustrious Kress Tyler Jordan walks into her life. Besides, bad boys don’t wear designer suits. Or do they?

Patrick Greene is ideal—charming, sexy, intelligent, sensitive—but off-limits. The pair has always had each others’ back during a few futile relationships, until March decides to keep hers with Kress a secret. When Kress’s behavior becomes dangerously possessive, March reluctantly confides in Patrick, then questions his loyalty when he refuses to stick by her. To further complicate their friendship, Patrick opens up by confessing his own dark secret.

March quickly finds herself on shaky ground. With faith, friendship and future—all at stake, she soon discovers that fixin’ her life means facing her tormented past and forgiving the ones to blame. But, is the pain just too great?

About the Author:

K. Mitchell Thomas, a former veteran, self-published her debut novel BLAME IT ON THE RAIN under her own publishing company ShuNu Publishing. She attended Northwestern State University in Louisiana; and has worked within the Federal government, to include the Federal Bureau of Prisons and Department of Veterans Affairs for several years. Currently a Houston native, but a true G.R.I.T.S (girl raised in the south), she will release her second novel in the summer of 2004.

We hope you will consider choosing BLAME IT ON THE RAIN as one of your monthly reading selections, and we look forward to hearing your comments.

Please feel free to visit Ms. Mitchell’s website at: http://www.kathymitchellthomas.com for further information regarding her current tour schedule.
Old 01-19-2004, 08:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Free and nearly 53 in San Diego and Lake Forest, CA
Send a message via AIM to Steeltrap Send a message via Yahoo to Steeltrap
Breaking format...

Cosmopolitan Girls by Charlotte Burley and Lyah Beth LeFlore

Editorial Reviews
From Booklist
When two New York City girls, Charlie Thornton and Lindsey Bradley, meet at the Shark Bar, a new friendship is born over a round of cosmopolitan martinis. Charlie is a copywriter from Buffalo, New York, whose passion for writing brought her to the Big Apple. Lindsey is an aspiring television producer from St. Louis who left home to escape the shadow of her famous mother. Both women are determined to confront their bosses and demand more respect for their contributions. Charlie is living with a man who has been unfaithful and carelessly flaunts his current affair. Lindsey is in love with a video producer whose playboy personality makes him that much more desirable. Both women need the courage to leave these unworthy men and get on with their lives. Charlie and Lindsey grow to depend on each other for the moral and spiritual support missing in their relationships with other women. Coauthors Burley and LeFlore have many touching things to say about the nature of true friendship. Lillian Lewis
Copyright © American Library Association. All rights reserved

Review

"I'm not really a big fiction guy, but I couldn't put this book down! The journey of Lindsay and Charlie is a fascinating and fun ride. Enjoy!" -- Tavis Smiley, author and talk-show host
"Two parts love and friendship, with a twist of attitude, Cosmopolitan Girls is a heady cocktail that should be enjoyed one decadent sip at a time." -- Lori Bryant-Woolridge, author of Hitts & Mrs.

Book Description

What happens when two small-town girls’ lives collide in the Big Apple? Meet Lindsay and Charlie. Two smart and fabulous African American single girls who work hard and play hard, only to find their careers and love lives taking tragicomic turns.
Lindsay, a successful television executive, makes the “A” list for the hottest events in New York City. Charlie is devoted to the dream of becoming a screenwriter, and happily in love with her fiancé. And while Lindsay’s heart belongs to a handsome, high-powered video director, Charlie’s fiancé offers stability and family life – two kids from a previous relationship. When they meet it’s the classic case of each one thinking the other’s grass is greener. But the romance of Gotham starts to fade as reality shakes up both women’s worlds. They discover they are two sides of the same coin.
Funny, sweet, and endlessly charming, Cosmopolitan Girls is a winning concoction that will resonate with women everywhere.
Old 01-19-2004, 08:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for passing this on. I will be ordering it from the library tonight in between AI commercials.

it does not come out until 2.24.04 but I will definitely check it out.

Would I Lie To You by Trisha R. Thomas (author of Nappily Ever After) 2.3.04

Venus Johnston picks up where she left off after ending her relationship with Clint. Although she supported him while he attended medical school, he wouldn't commit to marriage. This time she's close to marriage, engaged for two years to a successful businessman, Airic, a divorced father of two adult daughters. But she's plagued by a continuing dream of being left at the altar by Clint. Venus is all set to have what she's always wanted--the perfect job and a perfect marriage--until the job takes her on assignment to L.A., and she's irresistibly drawn to her client. Jake Parson is a former rapper who has parlayed his popularity into success in the clothing-design world with a line of hip-hop fashions. Jake's appeal, her mother's bout with cancer, and her doubts about Airic's suitability throw Venus into self-reflection about the true meaning of love and marriage. Readers who enjoyed Thomas' Nappily Ever After (2000) will enjoy this sequel. Vanessa Bush
Copyright © American Library Association. All rights reserved

Major reunites some of the cast from his popular debut, Good Peoples (2000), in another engaging if predictable tale that explores the erosion of trust and commitment among the members of an African-American family. Jasmine, a 17-year-old teenager blossoming into womanhood, is adjusting to living with her Aunt Peg and Uncle Leonard Moore in Camden, N.J. Jasmine views her successful cousins, Amir and Myles, and their beautiful wives, Marisa and Kenya, as role models and yearns to find a soul mate of her own. But first she's got to test the rules. Abandoned by her parents, Jasmine is troubled by adults and their refusal to understand her feelings about trust. She's determined to be her own person, in spite of the strict rules set by Aunt Peg, and she's also reluctant to recognize the benefits of a good education. Major is especially adept at highlighting the conflicts between the older and younger generations. Conscious of the poor choices made by Jasmine's mother, especially involving men, Peg will do whatever is necessary to ensure that her niece avoids a similar fate. Things get complicated when Jasmine meets Darius, a young man with a troubled past, and Peg and Leonard's relationship seems to be heading south. Older teenagers interested in romance, the target audience for this novel, will be drawn by the inviting jacket art, depicting an attractive African-American couple.
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

Last edited by CrimsonTide4; 01-19-2004 at 08:24 PM.
Old 02-12-2004, 09:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

If You Are Black and Law School Bound, Help Has Finally Arrived: New Book Showcases 75 Models of Excellence For Aspiring African American Law Students

Profiles & Essays of Successful African American Law School Applicants

Houston, TX - In 1993 a young African American woman aspiring to go to law school received some invaluable information. A friend, with the same educational goals, shared copies of resumes, profiles and personal statements she received from Black law students at a prestigious Ivy League law school she visited. This young woman reviewed the coveted materials with amazement. She now had an "inside" and more educated perspective of what admissions officers were truly looking for. "This young woman," author Evangeline M. Mitchell, went from becoming the first college graduate in her immediate and extended family and on to successfully gaining entry into a top-ranked law school. Reflecting on her experience and how early exposure to this information could have impacted her, she was inspired to inform and educate other minority law school hopefuls with models of "real life" successful African American law school applicants. The idea for her new book was born.

"During the application process, I mistakenly thought it was primarily about good grades and strong Law School Admission Test scores. But reviewing actual application materials from Black law students gave me a better and more accurate picture of the very high level of competition out there," states author Mitchell. "It was defining and eye-opening. I had no clue about what I was up against. At the same time, I was proud to see that these accomplished individuals were African American. It was stimulating to learn about all of the impressive internships they completed, the awards they received and community service they accomplished. It was affirming to read their personal essays and relate to our common experiences and their unique, diverse and complex perspectives as Black Americans. Even more compelling was the adversity some of those applicants had to conquer to achieve their dreams."

To assist prospective Black lawyers, Mitchell has compiled and edited Profiles & Essays of Successful African American Law School Applicants. This dynamic resource book includes:

75 profiles and over 60 essays from a diversity of outstanding African Americans who were successfully admitted to over 100 different law schools from every tier-level across the nation

Advice from African American law students and graduates specifically for future applicants

Checklists to assist applicants in essay preparation

Expert insight on the admissions process and the importance of the personal statement, resume and profile from experienced law school admissions directors

An advice book/workbook including numerous detailed tips on writing the personal statement, the resume, profile, addendum and recommendations

A listing of useful writing resources, pre-law organizations and websites

The text of the landmark Grutter v. Bollinger University of Michigan Law School Supreme Court affirmative action admissions decision

Self-assessment, strategic planning and law school admissions committee exercises

Affirmations for law school admissions success, and

Personal statement/essay instructions from the majority of ABA-approved law schools.
"If I would have had this book as a high school or college student it would have meant the world to me. It would have helped me strategize, plan and step up my game a few more levels in every area," shares the author.

"Although I was a focused "straight A" college student with the desire to break the cycle and "make it," there is so much more I could have achieved. I would have been more proactive and willing to create opportunities that weren't readily available to me. Unfortunately, I navigated the law school admissions process alone. I had no role models to emulate or mentors to explain the high level of expectation to be considered a truly competitive candidate."

"Knowing what I learned too late in the game, I would have made a concerted effort to really stand out from the literally thousands of other smart prospective law students I was competing against by highlighting my unique background, personal characteristics, leadership qualities and accomplishments, especially in light of the obstacles I overcame. In addition, I would have emphasized the unusual and interesting perspectives I could bring to the diversity of the law school classroom and community. I can't change the past. However, I can impact the future by assisting others through this groundbreaking and practical publication. This book will help people with law school aspirations, especially those from disadvantaged backgrounds like myself who need guidance to create a strategic plan or blueprint for their law school admissions success."

If you or someone you know is interested in attending law school, this book is a worthy investment. Hope's Promise Publishing will have a special release of Profiles & Essays of Successful African American Law School Applicants (ISBN: 0-9679303-1-6) this month in honor and recognition of Black History Month and the Law School Admission Council's Minority Recruitment Month. For a limited time, the book will only be available direct from the publisher. In the fall, the book will be officially re-released on a larger scale and become widely available through on-line bookstores and selected bookstores nationwide.

For more information, please contact Hope's Promise Publishing at P.O. Box 631234, Houston, Texas 77263-1234, call at 713-867-5923, or visit their website at http://www.hopespromisepublishing.com

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Evangeline M. Mitchell, J.D., Ed.M. is a graduate of Prairie View A&M University, the University of Iowa College of Law and the Harvard University Graduate School of Education. She is the founder and CEO of Hope's Promise Publishing. She is also the founder of the highly acclaimed website For Future Black Law Students: Information and Support Network (www.forfutureblacklawstudents.com) and the founding advisor of the National Association of Future Black Law Students (NAFBLS), the first national Black pre-law empowerment, support and networking organization.

In addition, she is the author of The African American Pre-Law School Advice Guide: Things You Really Need to Know Before Applying to Law School (Hope's Promise Publishing, 2002), the first law school admissions reference book written especially for African Americans.

PRESS CONTACT:
Hope's Promise Publishing, P.O. Box 631234, Houston, Texas 77263-1234
713-867-5923, www.hopespromisepublishing.com, info@hopespromisepublishing.com
Old 02-26-2004, 08:51 AM
GreekChat Member

New Book On Self Enhancement - Women and "The Feeling" Why We Mistake "Sex" For Love

Rialto, CA - When our spirit is wounded, it may lose ability to seek, empathize with, and embrace God and others. It may lose vitality, to shape the soul with wholesome attitudes and expectations. Mind and heart are part of our soul. They are storehouses of memory, thought, and emotion. We act and speak not only from that which fills our mind, but also from that which fills and motivates us from the hidden areas of our heart (see Luke 6:45; 1 Cor. 4:5).

So many women today take on the duties and responsibilities of being "Superman", but what about being able to defeat the strong powers of the manipulation and control of man. Especially for the career minded women; we are the strong and hard working trying to satisfy everyone's needs, until Mr. Man comes in making love to us, and we mistake "the feeling" of the moment for "love". And women, vulnerable at the heart, give in and allow any thing to happen. So, in all honesty, we cannot blame anyone but ourselves. Nevertheless, men feel as though they are the most important things in a woman's life and once again we allow this to happen, but I have a news flash. Ladies, wake up and get focused on what is going on around you. Stop giving into the myths and the old fables of the ancient world; and stop letting "the feeling" do the talking and giving the thrill of the moment the control. And "don't get it twisted", there are some beautiful men out there that appreciate us for the Queens that we are. There are men and women; there is love and hate, but when it comes down to strength we have it from the top of our head down to the bottom of our toes. But, we as superior beings need to rely on our brainpower and not the ignorance of a good feeling. And, don't misunderstand what I say, and think that "the feeling" is bad; all I want you to understand is that to enjoy a good feeling is to practice intelligence.

Women and "The Feeling" Why we mistake "SEX" for love purpose is to offer some answers as to why love is beautiful, however not perfect. It is happiness and joyful, but due to the fact that the understanding of it can be clouded by the good feelings when it fails bitterness is accepted into one's being which causes the lack of trust, honesty, compassion, and understanding within a relationship. Where as, when a relationship fails taking the time to accept that we are not perfect and we should learn from our mistakes because love is beautiful and will happen again.

The world is full of so much hate and jealousy that not knowing the true meaning of two words [trust and love] can cause fighting and sometimes killing amongst us all. There are too many people involved for us to let this tragedy happen time and time again. That is why it is so important to understand what you want out of life and establish the foundation that you expect in a relationship. Also, it is only right and fair for you to include a man's feelings to make the time that you spend together as valuable and as solid as a rock. Time does not go backwards nor does it stop, it only continues to pass and if you are not careful it will pass you up without a trace.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Caprice Winstead is the mother of three beautiful boys and founder/CEO of a nonprofit organization that specializes in self-enhancement and career development for youth. Caprice has been writing since she was a little girl, expressing her creativity to be compassionate, understanding, and wise on paper. Her passion for writing comes from her heart, mind, body, and soul, with the joy of God traveling through the ink of her pen.

The book is currently available for $16.95 (including shipping & tax). ISBN 1-4137-0998-2

Send your request along with Check or Money Order to:

Caprice Winstead
P.O. Box 193
Rialto, CA 92377

PRESS CONTACT: Caprice Winstead, (909) 562-0022, caprice@seasoningforthesoul.com, www.seasoningforthesoul.com
Old 04-27-2004, 08:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Eric Jerome Dickey's 10th Novel

Book Description
Dickey's tenth novel is packed with twists and turns, filled with titillations and poignancy. Drive Me Crazy is the latest example that "Dickey is an excellent writer at the top of his game." (Chicago Defender)

After his blockbuster holiday novel, Naughty or Nice, New York Times bestselling author Eric Jerome Dickey is serving up his new novel with style, sexiness, and a bit of grit. "Driver" is an ex-con trying to make his life right but who shares an expensive secret and a past affair with his boss’s wife-a woman who is nothing but trouble. Dickey’s rich characters jump off the page, making readers feel as if they are present in the hustle-filled pool hall, the bedroom, and the Lincoln Town Car that Driver chauffeurs his wealthy and notorious clients around in.

Dickey’s millions of readers will be happy to see the reappearance of a femme fatale from Thieves’ Paradise, who adds spice and surprises every time she turns up. This is Dickey writing at his best-a fast-paced novel of raw emotions, softened as always with his incomparable humor and characters you will always remember.

Available on July 12th
Old 04-27-2004, 08:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Book about the Down Low lifestyle

Editorial Reviews
Book Description
Down Low, Double Life is a tale of infidelity, reality and relationships. Jamie Kennedy is an ex pro football player who is about to get married to his college sweetheart, Mia. The day of the wedding, he has his doubts. Mia has been in his corner for years. She was there when he had nothing. Still, Jamie is afraid to commit to the one person in the world that has his back.

After getting married Jamie experiences the fabled seven-year itch. Mia's career as an editor for a popular magazine begins to demand most of her time. Jamie feels neglected and gets the urge to cheat. His best friend, Michael tells him that infidelity is why he lost his wife, Loretta. After two years of being divorced, Michael is still trying to win back his ex wife's heart. Loretta loves Michael, but she is afraid to give her heart to him again.

This is a tale of suspense, love, betrayal and drama.
$14.95 at Amazon
Old 04-27-2004, 09:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Ghetto Fiction

Book Description
Sheisty
Epiphany Wright, Keisha Moore, Shana Scott spend their teenage years as best friends growing up in hood of southside Jamaica Queens.

Now as adults their friendship is put to the test when envy, built up animosity, hidden betrayal and the bad boys in their lives causing more havoc come into play, everyday becomes a struggle to keep it tight. With all that's already riding against them when drastic situations occur will these girls be down for one another or just plain Sheisty.

The other book is called GRIMEY but there isn't a description for the book.
Old 05-09-2004, 07:08 PM
GreekChat Member

An uplifting story about finding true love and a true voice—with a fresh spin on Pygmalion—from the bestselling author whose novels top 300,000 copies in print.
Yolanda Joe has wowed thousands of fans with her lively storylines and savvy heroines. Now she introduces Imani, a rising star whose dreams and challenges will capture the hearts of thousands more.

Talented, ambitious, and just twenty-two years old, Imani is surrounded by men with advice about her singing career. Her father, who owns a struggling nightclub, sees Imani’s future as a chance to fulfill his own failed dreams. Her boyfriend, Taz, is determined to become a mega-producer, with Imani’s street rapping as his ticket to fame. But Professor Orenthal Hopson, who teaches in the music department of a historically black college, has his own designs on her: he struck a bet with a colleague requiring him to transform Imani from a hip-hop hopeful into a traditional jazz singer. Like a modern-day Eliza Doolittle, Imani finds herself caught up in a musical makeover that causes her to question who she really wants to become. As Professor Hopson begins to sweep her off her feet, she also has to decide whether to stand by Taz, the man she’s cared about since childhood, or let herself fall for the dashing intellectual.

A delight on every page, My Fine Lady presents the dilemmas of romance, family, and career with Yolanda Joe’s signature wit and flair.

Available June 1

. . . though the block had long ago made the transition from white to colored to Negro to Black Is Beautiful, the city still provided street cleaning . . . when the children took to the outside and there was the familiar smack, smack of the double-Dutch rope. The sound was a predictable comfort. Like the sounds of the Corner Boys, a mildly delinquent lot consumed with pilfering Kool cigarettes or the feel of a virgin girl's behind. . . .

As she did in her previous novels Tumbling and Blues Dancing, Diane McKinney-Whetstone once again masterfully renders time and place, character and emotional intensities. It is 1969 and Cecil Street is "feeling some kind of way," so the residents decide to have two block parties this year. These energetic, sensual street celebrations serve as backdrops to the stories of the people on the block. Joe, a long-ago sax player, has turned his eye across the street to a newly arrived young southern beauty even as he is suddenly haunted by memories of his horn-playing nights and his affection for a shy, soft hooker from years ago. Joe's wife, Louise, a licensed practical nurse, is losing her teeth to gum disease and her joy to sensing that Joe's attention has wandered. Their teenage daughter, Shay, is consumed with helping her best friend and next-door neighbor Neet, who has gotten pregnant by a Corner Boy. Neet's mother, Alberta, is shunned by the block because of her immersion in a religion that has no name. As the novel opens, the first block party has ended and a naked woman has secretly taken up residence in Joe and Louise's cellar.

McKinney-Whetstone's superb gift for language and storytelling, for crafting scenes that leave the reader breathless, for distilling complex human emotion in a well-turned phrase, is on full display here. She portrays the community and the times with precision and compassion in an unforgettable story that gets under the skin. As the novel builds to the second block party, the past becomes as immediate as the present, condemnable acts become righteous, and what is tragic is also filled with hope.

Tastes Like Chicken by Lolita Files to be released on 5.10.04 ~ Sequel from Getting to the Good Part

The poignant tale of a woman who discovers the fragility of life and the strength of a family’s love, from an author praised by Toni Morrison for "searing, expertly imagined scenes"
Known for bringing to life a host of endearing characters who reveal tender truths about humanity, Bernice L. McFadden now turns her storytelling talents to an unforgettable and deeply troubled woman named Camilla.

Unfolding in a progression of stirring and powerful chapters, Camilla’s Roses presents a life haunted by the past. Camilla’s childhood was immersed in chaos and love, and steeped in the myth of perfection. As an adult, she never looked back, refusing to acknowledge the people and places that had scarred her so many years ago. But a legacy of cancer proves inescapable, forcing Camilla to embrace the past—no matter how painful it may be—and to salvage what is left of her love in order to save her daughter. As Camilla discovers the bittersweet limitations of motherhood and reconciliation, she also awakens an inspiring message about the mortality issues we all must face.

The author of four bestselling novels, Bernice L. McFadden receives consistent accolades from reviewers coast to coast, and has captured the hearts of thousands of readers. With Camilla’s Roses, she is poised to win over her widest audience yet.
Old 05-11-2004, 06:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I finished this book yesterday

Quote:
Originally posted by CrimsonTide4
Tastes Like Chicken by Lolita Files to be released on 5.10.04 ~ Sequel from Getting to the Good Part
Reesey & Misty are at their best this time. If you liked Scenes and Getting then you will LOVE Tastes Like Chicken. PS...If you thought Reesey was a trip wait til you meet "The Twins".
Old 05-23-2004, 08:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Be My Sorority Sister-Under Pressure
by Dorrie Williams-Wheeler

Book Description
Beta Gamma Psi had been a part of Eva Perkins life since birth. When she starts college at Edwin Carver Science & Technology University she takes strides to become a member of the sorority that both her mother and sister belong to.
After years of attending Beta events and pre-pledging at Carver; Eva eventually finds herself on line pledging Beta. Discord and infighting among the big sisters and within the pledge class leads to drama.

An unexpected event divides the big sisters and the pledges. When rumors of hazing threaten the chapter, the pledge sisters have to bond together to solidify their future within the organization. Eva discovers that a sorority is about hard work, dedication, and building lifelong friendships.