GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,193
1 members and 1,192 guests
JayhawkAOII

Old 08-27-2012, 11:45 PM
GreekChat Member

A Re-Rush Story!

So last year I rushed and ended up deciding to drop out in the early rounds. I wasn't sure if Greek life was for me. But then this year I decided I would try it again. Anywho I will start by telling a little about what happened last year.

There are 16 sororities at my competitive university. I have named them after some of my favorite tv shows.

Dance Moms
House
Law & Order
How I Met Your Mother
Burn Notice
Sex and the City
Dexter
Scrubs
Real Housewives
Workaholics
Millionaire Matchmaker
Top Chef
Modern Family
Game of Thrones
Say Yes to the Dress
Glee

Day 1 & 2: We visited 8 houses on the first day and 8 on the second.

Say Yes To The Dress: This was the first house I went to and I was very nervous. But once I was paired with a girl, it went smoothly. This house is one of the lesser popular houses on campus, but the girls I talked to were very nice. I didn’t think I would ever be a Say Yes though.

Millionaire Matchmaker: A lot of the girls in my group were very excited to visit this house. The girl that rushed me was very pretty. When we sat to watch their video I spilled my cup of water all over my legs. That was kind of embarrassing but I laughed it off.

Top Chef: A girl from my high school who had a very bad reputation in high school was in this sorority so I kind of automatically didn’t like it very much. She came up and talked to me though and she was very nice. The girl that rushed me was nice but I thought it was weird because she started talking about going out and partying where the other houses I went to strictly talked about majors and clubs and involvement. But I still thought she was nice.

Workaholics: This house is by far the prettiest one in my opinion. But the sorority itself is not a very popular one on campus. Still I had a great experience at this house and I could see myself there. I really liked the girl that rushed me and I felt comfortable.

How I Met Your Mother: I knew a girl from my high school at this house who I really liked. She came up and talked to me while I was with my rusher and gave me a hug. I really liked the girls I met at this house and I really hoped I would be invited back.

Modern Family: This was the newest sorority on campus and the only one without a house. The girls I met were all very nice. I did not expect to like everyone as much as I did, and I wouldn’t mind coming back.

Burn Notice: This was my favorite house of the day. They aren’t really well known on campus but the girl that rushed me was beautiful and everyone was very nice. I really hoped to be invited back here.

Dexter: I was excited to go to this house, and when I got there my rusher had the same name as me. We laughed about that as we introduced ourselves at the same time. But after that we really didn’t have a connection and it ended up being really awkward. I was wishing to be bumped to another girl but it never happened. I still wouldn’t mind going back to this house though.

Sex and the City: I was nervous to go here because I heard that this house of girls were all very pretty. But I ended up having a good time there and talked to my rusher about Dexter and Glee (the TV shows, not the sororities J ) We laughed and I hoped I would be invited back to Sex and the City.

Real Housewives: I was even more nervous to go to this house. Everyone says this is the top house on campus. They also have a party girl reputation though and are known to be stunningly gorgeous. When I walked in at least half of the rumors were right, they were all stunningly gorgeous. I talked to my rusher about their philanthropy, which happens to be dear to my heart and basically what I am majoring in my classes. I liked this house a lot more than I thought I would!

Glee: This house is known to be the least popular house on campus, but I had a friend in this house who I really liked so I was excited to go anyway. The girls were all very nice. I remember though that a girl in my group leaned over to me and whispered “Do you think this is the fat girl house?” I said no and tried to listen to the video and speakers. The girl that whispered that actually ended up being a member of Glee in the end!

Dance Moms: This was the house I was the very most excited about. I dreamed of being a Dance Mom from the beginning. My roommate and a few friends were in Dance Moms and I was so excited to go in. I had a great experience at Dance Moms and was really hoping to go back.

Law & Order: I was excited to go to this house as well. My rusher was very nice and we ended up having a great conversation about their philanthropy and how I have actually volunteered there before not knowing it was their philanthropy. I loved Law & Order and they were in close rankings with Dance Moms.

House: I knew a few girls in this sorority and my boyfriend was one of their house boys freshman year. A lot of girls were really excited to go to this house and they have a great reputation, but for some reason I just never saw myself as a House. I enjoyed my time there though and wouldn’t mind going back.

Scrubs: This house was also one that was looked at as one of the most popular house, always neck and neck with Real Housewives. I was excited to go in, but my rusher and I just did not connect. She talked to me about very trivial things like the weather and how she was hungry and things like that. I tried to steer the conversation to more important topics, but it just didn’t work out and I had a feeling I would not be invited back.

Game of Thrones: I had a really good friend in this house and I was excited to see her. I was not thrilled with my experience here though, my rusher and I did not seem to connect and I found myself just ready to go.

At the end of the day I ranked my houses as follows:

1. Dance Moms
1. Law & Order
1. How I Met Your Mother
1. Burn Notice
1. Sex and the City
1. House
1. Scrubs
1. Dexter
1. Real Housewives
1. Workaholics
1. Top Chef
2. Modern Family
3. Say Yes To The Dress
4. Game of Thrones
5. Millionaire Matchmaker
6. Glee

Old 08-27-2012, 11:50 PM
GreekChat Member

House Tours

Day 3: House Tours

I was so nervous to get our schedules today! One of the girls in our group was already released from recruitment, and one only had 3 houses left out of a possible 12. I was sooo scared to get my schedule. But I was happy to see:
1. Dance Moms
2. House
3. Real Housewives
4. Glee
5. Modern Family
6. Game of Thrones
7. Law and Order
8. How I Met Your Mother
9. Sex and the City
10. Workaholics
11. Top Chef

Almost a full schedule! I was so so happy to still have Dance Moms, How I Met Your Mother, and Law & Order. I was surprised to see that Real Housewives invited me back because they are so competitive and lots of girls want them, but I think they liked that my major was so close to their philanthropy. I was sad to see that Burn Notice was gone, but too excited about Dance Moms to care too much.

We would be going to 6 houses today and 6 houses tomorrow.

House: I was shocked to be invited back to this house because they are considered “top tier” on our campus. I still did not expect to ever be a House so I went into it calm and not too excited, but open to the conversations. My rusher and I did not click that well and it was a bit awkward.

Modern Family: I was again surprised to like this group so much. They told me that by my senior year they would have a house built on campus. I liked them very much.

Workaholics: I had to run to this house because it was so far from Modern Family. I had another great conversation with the girls here. I loved the girl who rushed me, she was so nice and I could see us being friends. Their house was so beautiful.

Dance Moms: My friend’s Grandbig rushed me and I talked to her and her little (my friend’s big). I thought that for sure that would help me out and I felt confident that I would be invited back to Dance Moms.

Law & Order: I loved this house so much, my conversations were great and I was so hopful to be invited back to Law & Order!

How I Met Your Mother: I was excited to be back here. I had another great conversation and I felt I really connected with this house.

Real Housewives: I had another great time at Real Housewives, and was still surprised that they even invited me back in the first place. I loved the girls I talked to and had another great time. I was torn because of their party girl reputation. I know not all the girls are like that, but if you are a Real Housewife, everyone automatically assumes you are crazy and I did not want that reputation.

Sex and the City: I did not connect with this house as well as I did the first day. But I did enjoy seeing their house, it was beautiful and the girl giving me the tour was sweet, but we did not have much to talk about.

Game of Thrones: I liked this house better today. But still did not feel a connection like I did with Dance Moms or Law & Order

Top Chef: I was surprised at how much I liked this house today, I liked the way their house was set up and the girl that rushed me was really funny and nice.

Glee: I had a good time here, but I did not really connect with the girls I spoke to. They all seemed very sweet though.
My rankings for the night:
1. Dance Moms
1. Law & Order
1. How I Met Your Mother
1. House
1. Real Housewives
1. Sex and the City
1. Workaholics
1.Top Chef
2. Modern Family
3. Game of Thrones
4. Glee

I went to bed that night feeling confident and ready for tomorrow.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:52 PM
GreekChat Member

When I got to my group’s meeting the next day, my Rho Gam warned us that heavy cuts had been made. I waited for my schedule as I watched 2 girls withdraw from recruitment from my group after receiving their schedules. I started to get nervous as I was one of the last ones to get called and the party time was arriving. Finally I was called. My schedule was:
1. Glee
2. Game of Thrones
3. Modern Family
4. Workaholics
5. Real Housewives.

Out of a possible 8.

I was devastated. I went to the bathroom immediately because I had a break for my first party. I pulled myself together and tried to decide what I was going to do. I was so upset to see my top three all gone, especially Dance Moms and Law & Order. Shocked to see that Real Housewives still wanted me back, even though they were supposed to be our top sorority on campus. I wanted to cry so badly but I knew many other girls were only invited back to 1 or 2 houses and would love to have my schedule. I liked Real Housewives, but I really did not want the party reputation that came along with that group. The only other sorority I felt I had connected to enough to accept a bid was Workaholics. My Rho Gam encouraged me to go to the parties but I walked home instead. (Immature I know)
Old 08-28-2012, 12:07 AM
GreekChat Member

This Year!

This year ended much happier! So don't worry. Sorry these posts are long but there are so many sororities! My schedule was weirdly the same as last year on day 1 and 2.

Day 1 & 2: (Short Version)

Say Yes to the Dress: felt like the girl I was talking to had no idea what i was talking about, kind of uncomfortable but the girls were nice.

Millionaire Matchmaker: really liked these girls, so sweet

Top Chef: did not feel very comfortable with my conversations but wouldnt mind returning

How I Met Your Mother: LOVED this house, really hoped to return!

Workaholics: i knew my rusher, so it was chill. loved it!

Game of Thrones: liked this house so much better than last year. Both girls were awesome!

Burn Notice: LOVED this house really really want to return.

Modern Family: All I wrote in my book for this was LOUD. could barely hear a thing.

Glee: First girl was hard to talk to, second girl was great!

Dexter: talked to 4 girls and loved all 4!

Sex and the City: only talked to one girl and got awkward towards the end but would not mind coming back!

Real Housewives: felt intimidated here but still wouldnt mind returning.

Scrubs: they dropped me first round last year but i liked the girl wouldnt mind going back.

Law & Order: LOVED this house really wanted to return.

Dance Moms: LOVED this house really wanted to return.

House: LOVED this house really wanted to return.

Rankings for the night:

1. Law & Order
1. Dance Moms
1. How I Met Your Mother
1. Burn Notice
1. House
1. Scrubs
1. Sex and the City
1. Real Housewives
1. Millionaire Matchmaker
1. Dexter
1. Top Chef
1.Workaholics
2. Game of Thrones
3. Say Yes to the Dress
5. Modern Family
6. Glee
Old 08-28-2012, 12:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Love how fast you are posting.

Quick question: on your second recruitment day 1: where was your #4?

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 08-28-2012, 12:21 AM
GreekChat Member

House Tours

Today we got our first schedules and I was so nervous! But I was sooo happy to see:

1. Real Housewives
2. Millionaire Matchmaker
3. How I Met Your Mother
4. Top Chef
5. House
6. Dexter
7. Law & Order
8. Game of Thrones
9. Burn Notice
10. Sex and the City
11. Say Yes to the Dress
12. Workaholics

A full schedule!!! And only two of my alternates were back which meant only two houses dropped me. Kind of surprised that Dance Moms dropped me but I was fine because I still had a lot I liked and I was not surprised that Scrubs dropped me again.

We would go to 6 the first day and 6 the second.

Honestly, at all of the houses this day I had great conversations and ALL of the houses were soo beautiful. So I will skip describing each one and just say my rankings:

1. Law & Order
1. How I Met Your Mother
1. Burn Notice
1. House
1. Dexter
1. Sex and the City
1. Real Housewives
1. Millionaire Matchmaker
2. Workaholics
3. Top Chef
4. Game of Thrones
5. Say Yes to the Dress
Old 08-28-2012, 12:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCsweet<3 View Post
Love how fast you are posting.

Quick question: on your second recruitment day 1: where was your #4?
o wait sorry! I just skipped #4, and added too many. my bad

it was supposed to say

Old 08-28-2012, 12:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Skit Day

This is the day I dropped out last year so I was extremely nervous this morning.
But I was ecstatic to get another full schedule of 8 out of 8 houses!

1. How I Met Your Mother
2. Law & Order
3. Top Chef
4. Workaholics
5. Burn Notice
6. Dexter
7. Millionaire Matchmaker
8. Sex and the City

SOOO excited to have my top 3 all back!! I let out a sigh of relief and was so excited to experience skit day! I got two of my alternates back which means Real Housewives and House dropped me which I was fine with.

How I Met Your Mother: Their skit was great. I talked to a girl I knew from back home and felt really confident about getting invited back here. I LOVED them!

Law & Order: Their skit was hilarious I was dying laughing. The girl I talked to was so sweet but she was rushing both me and the girl next to me who was a little bit more outgoing. I was really afraid that she was outshining me and I tried to pipe in as much as possible. I really really hoped to get invited back for pref day.

Top Chef: Their skit was funny but not amazing. I had great conversations with the girl rushing me though. But I knew I did not want to be a Top Chef.

Workaholics: Their skit was okay but a girl sang a song at the end that got everyone crying and really touched me. I almost teared up a bit. But the girl rushing me I did not connect with too well and I found it difficult to talk to her.

Burn Notice: By far THE most hilarious skit I watched all day. The girl rushing me was beautiful and fun and I knew being a Burn Notice would be a ton of fun. I wanted to pref there tomorrow for sure.

Dexter: The girl who rushed me in round one rushed me again today. The skit was my least favorite of the day but they still seemed enthusiasitc about it and it was nice to talk to a girl who I talked to earlier in the week.

Millionaire Matchmaker: Their skit was reall cute and the girl rushing me was so cute. I could see myself as a Millionaire Matchmaker but I did not feel as strongly about them as I did about How I Met Your Mother, Law and Order, and Burn Notice.

Sex and the City: I did not expect to have as great of a time here as I did. I LOVED my rusher but their skit was just okay.

My rankings for the night:

1. Law and Order
1. How I Met Your Mother
1. Burn Notice
2. Sex and the City
3. Dexter
4. Millionaire Matchmaker
5. Workaholics
6. Top Chef
Old 08-28-2012, 01:13 AM
GreekChat Member

No! You can't just stop there! More please!

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 08-28-2012, 02:13 AM
GreekChat Member

So excited to hear what happens next!! And love how fast you're posting your story
Old 08-28-2012, 07:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
If I'm reading correctly it sounds like you go from 8 to 3?? What a huge jump!
Old 08-28-2012, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

In your next post would you mind sharing what (if anything) you did differently this year, i.e., had recs. to all houses, raised your gpa, got involved on campus, met and befriended sorority members? It would be helpful to future PNMs.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
In your next post would you mind sharing what (if anything) you did differently this year, i.e., had recs. to all houses, raised your gpa, got involved on campus, met and befriended sorority members? It would be helpful to future PNMs.
Yes! This.
There are so few successful second attempt stories here - especially at a competitive campus. It's refreshing to read one.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
yes! before i post what happens next,

i raised my GPA SIGNIFICANTLY. I think that was the most important factor in my success. I didn't get any recs to any of the houses but I did make some friends in a few chapters, specifically two that i ended up preffing in. I also was more prepared for conversation this year. I knew I needed to talk myself up, like about involvement and what i wanted to get involved in the future.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Pref Day

I could barely sleep the night before. I woke up almost every hour on the hour thinking I slept past the meeting time. Finally the time came and I went to my meeting place with my group to get our schedules. I was sooooo nervous but felt confident in getting my top 3 back. When I was called my rho gam read off my schedule like this:

1. Burn Notice (whew! so happy to get that one back)

2. Millionaire Matchmaker (In my head I though, o no! that was my third alternate. Does this mean i didnt get my other favorites back???? I was freaking out.)

3. Law and Order!

I was over the moon!! I was sad to see How I Met Your Mother gone but I was too excited to have my other top 2 back to care too much. My rho gam asked what my favorite was and I hands down knew it was Law and Order.

Burn Notice: I was excited for my first pref. I wondered who would be preffing me since everyone said it would be a girl from earlier in the week. All the girls were in a clump outside of the house getting called one by one into the house. Then to my surprise the girl preffing me was a close friend! I was so excited to see her and the conversaiton went so great and easy. I knew I leaned more towards Law and Order but I let her know that I loved Burn Notice and I felt extremely comfortable there and would be ecstatic to become a Burn Notice. She told me she could see me as a Burn Notice and she really hoped to see me on Bid Day. The ceremony was beautiful and I cried like a baby at some of the stories told. I left feeling happy about Burn Notice but was still excited for the next two.

Millionaire Matchmaker: I loved the girl who preffed me here. She brought me on House Tours earlier in the week and she was extremely cute and sweet. I watched the pref ceremony and it was very sweet and all the girls seemed really in touch with each other. But I didn't feel any deep sense of connection like I did at Burn Notice. I knew in my heart that Millionaire Matchmaker was my third choice. I told the girl preffing me that I though everyone in Millionaire Matchmaker was sooo sweet and nice and that I felt comfortable there but I was very torn because I loved everywhere I was preffing that day. I left trying not to lead the girl on by making her think I would be putting Millionaire Matchmaker first. I knew if I ended up there I would be happy eventually but would be sad not to see my other two choices on my bid card.

Law and Order: I was the most excited for this house. It had been my top choice from the beginning of the week and in my top 2 last year when I rushed. I had a feeling a good friend of mine would be preffing me since thats what happened at Burn Notice. Just like I though, out walked my friend and I was so happy to see her when she called my name. I walked in giddy and couldnt wait for the ceremony. She told me how much Law and Order wanted me and that she wanted to see me on Bid Day and I told her there was no question, that I was listing Law and Order first on my list. I was so excited to be there and felt at home. The ceremony was cute and although it didnt make me cry like at Burn Notice, it had me smiling ear to ear. I left knowing that was my home and went happily to list my top 3 as:

1. Law and Order
2. Burn Notice
3. Millionaire Matchmaker

I went home excited and nervous that for some reason I would open my bid card tomorrow and see anything but Law and Order. I had another sleepless night.