GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma

Old 07-29-2001, 07:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Post Ready for Rush...is this book any good?

I was on Amazon.com and came across a book by Bonnie Thornton entitled Ready for Rush: The Must-Have Manual for Sorority Rushees. Has anyone ever read this? If so, is it worth getting?

------------------
***Tinkerbell***

~~~Don't worry, be happy!~~~
Old 07-29-2001, 08:53 PM
Unregistered-

Smile

I've never read the book, so I can't tell you for sure whether or not you should buy it, but here are some things to consider:

Do you think that it's wise to spend $12.95 for a paperback that you'll probably only use for a few weeks (if even that much)?

You've been getting excellent advice so far from sorority collegians and alumnae. My guess is that much of the book's information is information that you might get from GC.

Pay close attention to the user reviews of the book. While the majority of its reviews have been stellar, read the one posted by the National Panhellenic Conference:

National Panhellenic Conference has concerns about this book, September 24, 1999
Reviewer: A reader from Los Angeles
I'm submitting this review on behalf of the National Panhellenic Conference (NPC), which is a conference of 26 national sororities, including the sororities to which the authors belong.

In certain respects, Ready for Rush is the book we've dreamed of - a straightforward, positive account of the benefits of sorority membership, both during college and in the years beyond. Of particular note are the wonderful testimonials from sorority alumnae from all walks of life, which speak of shared values and lifelong friendships. The authors are also to be commended for stressing the importance of being one's self during the formal recruitment process, and of the focus on and desirability of good grades, a commitment to community service, and active participation in sorority affairs.

Other aspects of the book pose some concern. The book contains one brief mention of "no frills Rush" (a term used to describe various recommendations adopted by NPC in 1991 geared at re-focusing sorority recruitment toward personal interaction and conversation, rather than on the various "trappings" with which sorority rush has long been associated (i.e., matching outfits, decorations, skits and routines)); however, the authors' advice clearly presupposes a recruitment environment that is "full frills" and, as such, may not (and, we hope, does not) accurately reflect the changing sorority recruitment process. Also of concern is the "Stop, Look and Sniff" chapter, which attempts to categorize sororities and their members into various stereotypes, all of which seems rather superficial and more along the lines of what we would expect to see from non-greek authors.

Given the book's target audience, however, the greatest concern from NPC's perspective lies with the authors' advice on the preparation necessary for formal recruitment. Although it is certainly important to present oneself well in any social situation where one is to meet new people, women intent on pledging a sorority need not purchase an entirely new wardrobe, go on a diet, get a professional manicure, change to a particular hairstyle, purchase tea cards or do any "homework" about the sororities they'll meet. Rather, they should simply appear as they generally would for any interactive situation, dressed in a manner they consider appropriate for the weather and region (suggestions from the formal recruitment handbook and panhellenic officers are usually available and helpful, particularly insofar as dress norms for formal recruitment can differ greatly from region to region), and be ready to meet and converse with new people! By going into formal recruitment with an open mind and presenting herself as she really is, albeit in the best light possible, a young woman will be most likely to find a place in the sorority that suits her best, so that she can enjoy all the wonderful benefits of membership that the authors rightfully tout as being part and parcel of sorority life.

Finally, amazon.com lists this book as being on special order and in addition it may be in limited availability. There's no guarantee that you'll get it in time for your Fall Recruitment.

I hate to sound so negative, and I do understand that you are very excited to go through Formal Recruitment, but I'm just wondering if the $12.95 is worth it for this book. To me, I'd try and save that $$$ in case you do get that bid!

Good luck with recruitment! It's almost here!
Old 07-30-2001, 08:35 PM

Red face

I did a search and found this article in the Daily Mississippian. All I can say is wow, don't sugar coat it! I think you should save your money Tink.
http://dm.olemiss.edu/archives/99/99...Nmcdermid.HTML

Although when I read Panhel's response I had to stifle a gaaaaaaaack re their "dressed as they consider appropriate" comment. There was a great piece in the Wall St Journal that suggested banning the words "appropriate" and "inappropriate" because they are PC words that say absolutely nothing. Plus if you are a first semester freshman, you often have to purchase a new wardrobe anyway. I think if Panhel really wants to help women through rush they should initiate a campaign to have a fully functioning NPC website (with rush tips that fit the school, region and climate) at every school where sororities are located. There are some sites that do a great job and put rushees' minds to ease but they are the exception, not the rule.