GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Lambda > Lambda Chi Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,555
1 members and 1,554 guests
No Members online

Old 02-01-2005, 07:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Civil Rights and Lambda Chi Alpha at a Historically Black College

I read this article and frankly thought it was one of the most bizarre things I have ever read, strangely enough LCA was involved.. Switch the words in the article to "And therein lies the rub for some critics who believe black (White) campuses are meant only for black (White) fraternities and sororities" and I think you will get what I am talking about.

Lenoxxx

Allen Johnson: As sit-in observance approaches, A&T takes pair of lessons in tolerance

1-30-05

News & Record

Two new student organizations have arrived on "The Yard."

N.C. A&T's first multi-racial fraternity, Lambda Chi Alpha, is seeking a charter on the historically black campus, and the school's first support group for gay and lesbian students, PRIDE (People Recognizing Individual Diversity and Equality), held its second meeting last week

As A&T continues to grow, such news should not be a surprise. And it's a matter of individual choice whether to participate.

But not everyone is comfortable with the developments.

Some students grumble in particular that they don't like the name of the organization for gay students because it co-opts a familiar rallying cry for A&T students and alumni -- "Aggie Pride"!

Others are not so sure why a fraternity with a non-African American pedigree has a place at A&T.

Lambda Chi Alpha was founded in 1909 at Boston University. Its national membership numbers 300,000 and it has sanctioned 300 chapters throughout the country, including eight on North Carolina campuses.

If the fraternity receives a charter at A&T, it would become the first Lambda Chi Alpha Chapter in the nation at a historically black college.

PRIDE, meanwhile, advertises itself as open to any student who is interested in joining and its initial meeting last fall attracted 45 students. Since then there have been an ice cream social and a second meeting last week that attracted 30 students.

Still, many of the students involved would provide only their first names.

The issue of sexual orientation is particularly sensitive on historically black campuses, which some say are less tolerant on that front than predominantly white campuses.

Instances of hostility toward gay students at all-black and all-male Morehouse College in Atlanta made national headlines two years ago. One student assaulted another with a baseball bat when he suspected the student had been making advances.

A forum at Bennett College on being black and gay attracted a full house that year at Bennett College.

Some students, many of them from A&T, occasionally hooted at the gay members of the panel and fiercely debated a heterosexual minister who defended gay lifestyle as not prohibited by Scripture.

Despite some relatively quiet discontent from a few students, PRIDE's arrival at A&T has been, well, routine.

The chapter was founded by 24-year-old Jasma Johnson, a graduate student from Wilmington. She submitted a constitution and bylaws, paid the $35 filing fee and documented that PRIDE had at least five members. "I thought it could be a place to belong, to feel comfortable, to be accepted for who you are," Johnson said Friday.

Johnson also said she felt such an organization, which already exists at UNCG, could promote awareness and education.

But doesn't that mean pushing an agenda -- trying to get others to change their attitudes about gay people?

Hardly, Johnson insisted. "That's not the purpose of this organization. We're here to promote education and awareness."

Then she added: "An opinion is like a car. Everybody has one."

Lambda Chi Alpha, meanwhile, seems to represent a lot of what many say the doctor has ordered for fraternities and sororities. It does not require pledging and has led the movement to forbid dangerous and demeaning hazing. In a 2003 Forbes magazine rating of "The Best Fraternities for CEOs," Lambda Chi Alpha ranked fourth in the nation with eight members who were chief executives at Forbes 500 companies.

It includes among its most famous members President Harry Truman, department store magnate William Dillard and former Chicago Cubs greats Billy Williams and Ferguson Jenkins, both of whom are black

But the fraternity was not founded by African Americans. And therein lies the rub for some critics who believe black campuses are meant only for black fraternities and sororities.

Fortunately, neither of the new organizations has created much resistance.

PRIDE founder Johnson did note that one male student would not enter the ice cream social because he feared that he would be approached by a gay male.

But that's been more the exception than the rule.

Aggies are living and letting live. At least for now.

Which seems only fitting on the campus that spawned the Feb. 1, 1960, Woolworth sit-ins.

The road to civil rights runs through A&T. And it ought to be a two-way street.

Visit this website if you miss what TV Guide did in destroying www.jumptheshark.com a fan website run by the fans in 2009!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-01-2005, 08:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Cool

I have been in contact with the Colony at NC A & T, via Chris Lo and High Pi, Cliff Lowery.

While they were really struggleing when We attended G A, they are starting to really come on.

According Brother Chris Lo, they have 10 N A, and a possibility of 18-20 more. They are trying to get everything lined up so can get Chartered!

It seems that LXA has been well received at the School and many of the current Greeks on campus have been of great help.

This is what Brotherhood is all about and living with each and every type of person.

Jason, thanks for posting this article!!!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 02-02-2005, 01:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sistermadly
If A&T is moving away from a strictly "HBCU" focus -- meaning they are making strides to take more non-black students -- I can't see how they can keep LXA off the campus. I also can't see why the campus administration would even want to. Regardless of the storied histories and traditions of the NPHC groups on the A&T campus, some non-black students are going to feel uncomfortable with the idea of seeking NPHC membership.

If the campus is going to be truly welcoming to students -- all students -- then they need to strive toward making it a welcoming and safe atmosphere for all - black, white, gay, and straight.
Old 02-02-2005, 05:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

Sistermadly, have not heard that at all.

It is New Venture for a HWF but not it seems to be working as I stated.

As I stated in a previous posting, The Colony was having Problems, not with The BGLOs, but the ADM!

So, that seems to be working out.

It was to Me a Great Experiment whit a HWGLO, but We as LXA did it to be The First.

I was on the Committee to recommend Keep as a Colony or not.

I was very Impressed with the Fact that there was 3 young Men there to respond. 1 White, 1 Asian, and 1 African American.

Johonathan, Chris, and Terrell were there along with The High Pi, or Advisor.

Afro-Merican was a New Associate, the other two were not affiliate with LXA. They paid their own way to Gen. Assem. along with The Advisor.

I was so pleased to work with them for the Whole Weekend introducing them around to LXA Brothers and Backing them.

It did prove what I thought, These Young Men were working to do something that was a new venture for all of us as GLO Members.

Most impressive was the fact that BGLOs were working with Them While The ADM . wasnt.

To Me as an Individual it just shows, Leave People Alone, they so will get along.

It is not about Race but what People can do when left alone!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 02-04-2005, 12:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to aggiepunk83
Hello...straight from the Colony from North Carolina A&T State University! This is Chris Lo, Colony #018. I was kinda shocked to see the article on here but it was cool. We are doing well here at the colony. 8 of us were initated..and we have more AM's hopeing to go through also..all the gentlemen in our colony are from all different types of backgrounds and walks of life..it's amazing...We are currently 22 men strong (9brothers and 13 AMs) also with more to come just to remind...The other chapters surrounding us has provided great support (High Point, UNC-Greensboro, Wake Forest, Elon, UNC)..It's awsome and all these chapters are all withing an 45mins..I do apologize for not being on as much as I use too..but with being the High Delta it has been a very busy year! Stressful...but it's worth it..I'm just glad to see that our guys had hope for the future of Lambda Chi Alpha!

IN ZAX(been waiting a long time to say that!)

Chris Lo, Colony 332, #018
NCA&TSU
aggiepunk83@hotmail.com

Last edited by aggiepunk83; 02-04-2005 at 12:44 PM.
Old 02-04-2005, 02:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ZetaPhi708
Congrats Chris to you and the new brothers!!! Keep up the great work over in NC!!!

Yours in ZAX

Zeta Phi 708
Old 02-06-2005, 04:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to shogun15
My thoughts. . .

Hello brothers!

Terrell Brown here, Colony332 #015, High Alpha,

I just got back from the CoP meeting in Orlando and I was informed by several people of the article. Of course if you read it you realized it came from our local paper (which means I need to pay closer attention). The article does not bother me much at all. It is just giving some facts and there are lots of narrow minded people in institutions of higher learning, whether they are on an HBCU or a non-HBCU.

We have heard (from just a few) the "a black campus should only have black fraternities and sororities" bull before.

I too believe that civil rights is a two way street.

At colony 332, we still have a lot of work and recruitment to do. Of course it has been a group effort.

Chris Lo, the High Delta has done a great job so far in recruitment.

I my self am doing the best I can to manage everything and we are all implementing standardized ways of doing things now that we have a stronger leadership base. Many showed their support for us at CoP and I hope that the support will be enough so that we may attain our goal.

Thank you all whom have shown their support. Please don't stop with us, because whether it is a new colony or a re-colonization, someone needs your help and encouragement somewhere. . .

And on another note, I am proud to be able to say and understand:

In ZAX. . .

Last edited by shogun15; 02-06-2005 at 04:24 AM.
Old 02-06-2005, 08:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey man good for you,

Im glad that our colony/chapter is there, I posted that article as I thought it was total rubbish. Continue succeeding and prove all the haters wrong!

Lenoxxx

Visit this website if you miss what TV Guide did in destroying www.jumptheshark.com a fan website run by the fans in 2009!
Old 02-06-2005, 04:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to shogun15
Thanks.

It is rubbish, but like I said, doesn't bother me.

I hope to prove these bastards wrong!
Old 02-06-2005, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Brother Brown, has a nice ring to it, may I give you a bigggggg Hello and Welcome to Greek Chat.

Having gone a bit back with you Brothers there, I am so pleased to see you here along with Brother Lo.

Sounds like things have finally turned the corner for ALL OF you at N C A & T!

I am so proud in my heart along with lifesaver, and docroc, to have been a small part of the continuation of a New Group hopefully to be a new Zeta soon!

In ZAX,

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 02-06-2005, 11:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Screeeeech! CRASH

I am so excited about the A&T colony! To hell with the folx who are drinking the HATERADE! Wishing y'all lots of luck and keep us posted!

Do y'all have a website/photos?

end crash
Old 02-06-2005, 11:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Angry

Just one question? What are You doing on our thread?

Jillybean, girl, you are welcome anytime and thank your for the Good Vibes.

Still aint doin now Rollar Coasters With You!

Oh, for those of you that might get worried,
I dont know where she lives in Canada, or Her Phone #

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 02-07-2005, 09:54 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sigtau305 Send a message via Yahoo to sigtau305 Send a message via Skype™ to sigtau305
Thumbs up Just had to crash the party as well

I just wanted to toss in my hat as well and say good luck to the North Carolina A & T Colony. What you guys are doing is great.

LetEmKnow!!RollTau!!
Old 02-10-2005, 08:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sanjiyan69 Send a message via Skype™ to sanjiyan69
Hope everything is going great so you can get your charter soon! Events like this just reminds me "Naught without Labor"

Wayne Hsieh
Delta Theta 109

ΛΧΑ

My facebook
Old 02-16-2005, 09:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to john1082 Send a message via AIM to john1082 Send a message via MSN to john1082 Send a message via Yahoo to john1082
We changed our rules . . .

We changed our rules with respect to non-caucasian individuals in the early sixties. It is sad that others cannot be as open minded. At one time we excluded blacks, hispanics, asians, you name it. But we changed! And for the better!

Fraternities offer many things. Each has a personality and a culture.

It would be tragic is someone was prevented from finding what we have found because of peer pressure.

In addition, I would feel cheated as I would be denied to opportunity from knowing an undergrad from that school as a Brother.

GreekChat.com - The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network