GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 2,101
1 members and 2,100 guests
No Members online

Old 04-21-2010, 12:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
What are you looking to do?

I'm just saying that you are thinking that your joining this colony and recruiting some guys for it is going to mean something if you never initiate.

The only person who is going to really care is you.

If you meet a member of that org and you tell him "Oh I pledged your colony and did this this and this but I'm not a brother" he's gonna be like "Um, ok."

The credit for the growth and longevity of a colony goes to the MEMBERS.

If you're okay with nobody caring about what you did, go for it.
I am not looking for any credit, any respect, I am not looking to gain anything by being a colony member of this certain fraternity. I am aware that I will always be a member of my current fraternity, and that will never change.

What I am looking to do is with my current brothers is to start a new chapter on the values we believe to be true, which can thrive on our campus. If down the road after it were to be founded, it thrived, the simple fact that knowing I had a very minimal part helping to create something that helped others improve themselves to be better men, well that would be more than enough for me.

I am not looking to tell people that I am a member of this fraternity, to use it for networking connections, or anything like that.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-21-2010, 12:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post

Because that's basically what you're doing. You don't like the group you're in and you think you've found a way to get out of it and still be Greek.
Once again, that is simply false. I am not looking to be a member of another organization. I do not want to be initiated, I do not want to be considered a brother, nor will it simply be us. There will be people who are not currently greek who will be the leaders, we will be there to help improve recruiting, organization, and the social re-integration back into the campus.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
I am not looking for any credit, any respect, I am not looking to gain anything by being a colony member of this certain fraternity. I am aware that I will always be a member of my current fraternity, and that will never change.

What I am looking to do is with my current brothers is to start a new chapter on the values we believe to be true, which can thrive on our campus. If down the road after it were to be founded, it thrived, the simple fact that knowing I had a very minimal part helping to create something that helped others improve themselves to be better men, well that would be more than enough for me.

I am not looking to tell people that I am a member of this fraternity, to use it for networking connections, or anything like that.
Imagine if you took all this energy and wanting to help others become better men, and applied this to your own fraternity. Since you'll always be a member of your fraternity and not initiate into a new one...charity starts at home and all that.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
Imagine if you took all this energy and wanting to help others become better men, and applied this to your own fraternity. Since you'll always be a member of your fraternity and not initiate into a new one...charity starts at home and all that.
Both myself and 20 other brothers have worked tirelessly for the past year to try to change the way things are going, but we simply do not have the numbers. We can not get elected to positions, we cannot even have a legitimate effect on voting on potential new members. It's a lost cause.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Once again, that is simply false. I am not looking to be a member of another organization. I do not want to be initiated, I do not want to be considered a brother, nor will it simply be us. There will be people who are not currently greek who will be the leaders, we will be there to help improve recruiting, organization, and the social re-integration back into the campus.
Not currently Greek? Are you unaware that the alumni who work at HQ, on the housing board, the advisers - the people who will be making major decisions including who becomes members of the colony - are alumni members of the fraternity. You obviously haven't learned that brotherhood is for life.

As for the "WE" - are you talking about you and the defectors? Why would ABC fraternity want members of XYZ handling any part of the colonization? Most of the business of colonization is privy only to MEMBERS.

Quote:
Both myself and 20 other brothers have worked tirelessly for the past year to try to change the way things are going, but we simply do not have the numbers. We can not get elected to positions, we cannot even have a legitimate effect on voting on potential new members. It's a lost cause.
One pledge class can change everything. You just haven't tried hard enough.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree-Xi View Post
Not currently Greek? Are you unaware that the alumni who work at HQ, on the housing board, the advisers - the people who will be making major decisions including who becomes members of the colony - are alumni members of the fraternity. You obviously haven't learned that brotherhood is for life.

As for the "WE" - are you talking about you and the defectors? Why would ABC fraternity want members of XYZ handling any part of the colonization? Most of the business of colonization is privy only to MEMBERS.

One pledge class can change everything. You just haven't tried hard enough.
An additional two pledge classes have come through and only compounded the problem.

The specific fraternity is slowing loosing its foothold on campus, it is dangerously close to having people forget it ever existed on this campus. If it wants to come back, which alumni are making it fairly obvious that they would support an attempt, it has to be now.

It may not be ideal, but it would benefit both parties involved.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Why not go and recruit members to your fraternity (you said your numbers were low) who would be potential colony members (your kind of people) and then over throw the guidos? If they are cut from the same cloth as you they may enjoy an insurrection to remove tanning and hair gel from Greek Life, and replace it with rainbows and Vineyard Vines (or whatever's hot in the SEC these days). How can your HQ not support membership growth? They'd totally support new members, and some not crummy alumni might loan you a beach house to get better members.

Required reading doesn't include Machiavaelli's The Prince and Sun Tzu's The Art of War anymore? Real good information in those.

Bonus points for getting the Jersey Shore crowd in unsavory photos, and having your HQ kick them out administratively, saves you the work. They probably won't be mistaken for regular people with their Christian Audigier shirts and pooka shell necklaces. Let them plan a foam party, call the cops to bust it, and be elsewhere (say duck hunting in Stuttgart?) so you're innocent.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:43 AM

Quote:

It may not be ideal, but it would benefit both parties involved.

How?

I still fail to see how your being a member of a colony for like 8 weeks and quitting is really going to do for it.

The people who really contribute to the growth of a fraternity are those guys who stay with it.

Your idea is full of fail.

Lakers Nation.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
Why not go and recruit members to your fraternity (you said your numbers were low) who would be potential colony members (your kind of people) and then over throw the guidos? If they are cut from the same cloth as you they may enjoy an insurrection to remove tanning and hair gel from Greek Life, and replace it with rainbows and Vineyard Vines (or whatever's hot in the SEC these days). How can your HQ not support membership growth? They'd totally support new members, and some not crummy alumni might loan you a beach house to get better members.

Required reading doesn't include Machiavaelli's The Prince and Sun Tzu's The Art of War anymore? Real good information in those.

Bonus points for getting the Jersey Shore crowd in unsavory photos, and having your HQ kick them out administratively, saves you the work. They probably won't be mistaken for regular people with their Christian Audigier shirts and pooka shell necklaces. Let them plan a foam party, call the cops to bust it, and be elsewhere (say duck hunting in Stuttgart?) so you're innocent.
Thats what we have been trying to do for the past year, we simply do not have the numbers to do it anymore. We literally could only get 4 out of 20 pledges which would be considered legitimate fraternity men on any southern campus. You can try to make change as much as you want, but without numbers your efforts will always be futile.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
How?

I still fail to see how your being a member of a colony for like 8 weeks and quitting is really going to do for it.

The people who really contribute to the growth of a fraternity are those guys who stay with it.

Your idea is full of fail.

And those men who contribute to the growth of the fraternity will be great men, those will be the people that are asked about in pledge quizzes in thirty years, not me.

The simple fact of creating something which we all know is possible and can envision, and seeing it come to light is enough for all of us.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:50 AM

Quote:
And those men who contribute to the growth of the fraternity will be great men, those will be the people that are asked about in pledge quizzes in thirty years, not me.

The simple fact of creating something which we all know is possible and can envision, and seeing it come to light is enough for all of us.
But you aren't creating anything...

Lakers Nation.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:50 AM
GreekChat Member

So you want to feel good about yourselves is that is? Instead of trying to see if there is something you can do with your own fraternity. You claimed that you got two pledge classes with more of the same. doesn't seem like the other faction is hurting the fraternity.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:52 AM
GreekChat Member

LOL @ selfish people who think they're selfless
Old 04-21-2010, 12:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Regardless of whether I am creating something, I will play a part. It is pointless to have petty arguments about whether other people will look down upon what I do or accept it. That part is not for anyone to decide, if the right people agree, that is all that is needed.

I do not want to "feel good about myself". If you get have a group of bad guys, and you recruit more bad guys, I'm pretty sure that you continue to hurt it by doing so.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusteau View Post
LOL @ selfish people who think they're selfless
I am not being selfless. Do you think when I pledged and was initiated I wanted to do this? No. I did not. Sometimes things happen that are out of your control, and you need to act accordingly. I am not selfless, I am fully aware that I am betraying the values that have been laid down by my fraternity and the brothers which have founded it both nationally and on my campus. I am not proud, let alone selfless.