GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 802
1 members and 801 guests
Cookiez17

Old 10-07-2020, 07:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Guidelines for wearing your chapter name's letters

I'm looking for guidelines on use of chapter letters.

Like, if I'm a member of the Delta Zeta chapter of XYZ Sorority, are the chapter reference guidelines solely with the Sorority? Or is it totally acceptable to go around wearing the DZ letters?

I mean, NO! That can't possibly be OK. But I am searching for some official guideline somewhere. Where common sense does not, unfortunately, prevail.

This is happening and I'm trying to point out an error in judgment respectfully. Or, if I'm wrong here, I need to see it in writing somewhere.

Help?

AXΩ | B∑Φ | NCL
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-07-2020, 07:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I've never heard of an NPC chapter wearing only the chapter letters. Yes, I've seen Gamma Gamma of Alpha Alpha but not just chapter letters.
Old 10-07-2020, 07:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
I've never heard of an NPC chapter wearing only the chapter letters. Yes, I've seen Gamma Gamma of Alpha Alpha but not just chapter letters.
This. The chapter letters typically accompany the sorority (or fraternity) name/letters in some way, so I don't think it's generally an issue?

@~/~~~~
Old 10-07-2020, 08:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I would assume that may differ depending on the organization. Being in the NPHC, there’s obviously a lot of differences, so take my comment with a grain of salt if it doesn’t help you. But Greeks wearing just their chapter letters on a shirt happens pretty often in our council.
Old 10-07-2020, 08:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersistentDST View Post
I would assume that may differ depending on the organization. Being in the NPHC, there’s obviously a lot of differences, so take my comment with a grain of salt if it doesn’t help you. But Greeks wearing just their chapter letters on a shirt happens pretty often in our council.
and that's exactly why I qualified it with NPC....
Old 10-07-2020, 09:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
I'm looking for guidelines on use of chapter letters.

Like, if I'm a member of the Delta Zeta chapter of XYZ Sorority, are the chapter reference guidelines solely with the Sorority? Or is it totally acceptable to go around wearing the DZ letters?

I mean, NO! That can't possibly be OK. But I am searching for some official guideline somewhere. Where common sense does not, unfortunately, prevail.

This is happening and I'm trying to point out an error in judgment respectfully. Or, if I'm wrong here, I need to see it in writing somewhere.

Help?
Shall I assume the chapter letters in question are not attached to your initiation badge? Unless women are refusing to wear their initiation badges (the rampant Equity Revolt) and are choosing to wear chapter guards alone.

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 10-08-2020, 02:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
and that's exactly why I qualified it with NPC....
*You* did, but the OP didn't. It doesn't look like PersistentDST was replying to you.

Old 10-08-2020, 06:28 AM
Super Moderator

Bee, what council is your sorority a part of?
Old 10-08-2020, 08:59 AM
GreekChat Member

I'd assume NPC. She has Alpha Chi Omega in her signature line.
Old 10-08-2020, 09:49 AM
GreekChat Member

In Indiana, our Fiji chapters often refer to each other by Chapter Greek letter designations. For example, IU is just “the Zeta chapter”, Rose-Hulman is Rho Phi, Hanover is Tau, etc. And it’s not just single letter chapters...it’s just how it’s been. Our brothers from Purdue (Lambda Iota) would never say “the IU FIJIs.” It would just be “the Zeta chapter” and everybody would know who they meant.

In fact, the chapter I’ve advised for 20+ years has had pocket-Ts for rush shirts and on the pocket is: FIJI, below it (in Greeks) Rho Phi and below that Rush 2020 for example.
Old 10-08-2020, 10:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
*You* did, but the OP didn't. It doesn't look like PersistentDST was replying to you.
Precisely this. I saw the OP was in an NPC sorority, but she didn’t specify, so I just added my thoughts. I’m not clear why I received a negative response.

Last edited by PersistentDST; 10-08-2020 at 10:37 AM.
Old 10-08-2020, 10:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersistentDST View Post
Can you share an example, or guidelines that make this acceptable?

AXΩ | B∑Φ | NCL
Old 10-08-2020, 10:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
Shall I assume the chapter letters in question are not attached to your initiation badge? Unless women are refusing to wear their initiation badges (the rampant Equity Revolt) and are choosing to wear chapter guards alone.
It's not related to an Equity Revolt. They just like their chapter letters I guess. I've just never seen this without also featuring the sorority itself. That the chapter letters happen to be identical to another national organization is what's leaving me floored.

AXΩ | B∑Φ | NCL
Old 10-08-2020, 11:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
It's not related to an Equity Revolt. They just like their chapter letters I guess. I've just never seen this without also featuring the sorority itself. That the chapter letters happen to be identical to another national organization is what's leaving me floored.
So... are they wearing, for example, stitched letter shirts with DZ plastered across the front and nothing else on it?

Do they know their chapter designation is the same as another NPC? Perhaps they're simply ignorant to this fact. You'd be surprised how many collegiate members of NPCs have no clue about national sororities that exist outside of their campus.

@~/~~~~
Old 10-08-2020, 11:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
Bee, what council is your sorority a part of?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xidelt View Post
I'd assume NPC. She has Alpha Chi Omega in her signature line.
Quote:
Think about this: the NPC didn't formally come into being until 1902. Even back then some chapter designations were already identical to those of some NPC groups...Alpha Phi, Delta Gamma and Delta Zeta chapters likely existed within several of our oldest NPC groups by 1902. The NPC has never sought to control chapter greek designations within its groups.

And NPC groups joining in 1951 would DEFINITELY have already had chapters with names exacting those of some of our earliest NPC member groups.

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.