GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,633
2 members and 1,631 guests
gatordeltapgh, Overthinker

Old 09-15-2019, 05:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Carnation, what a beautiful story. Thank you for sharing it.
Old 06-22-2020, 02:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you for sharing your story carnation.

If there are any PNM's who are unsure if Greek life is for you, I suggest that you read these stories.

My story also deals with the loss of a family member.

My brother was killed in a car accident in 1992. At the time he was a junior transfer student to Chapman University and was pledging Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity. At the time I was living in Orange County and our parents were living in Napa, CA.

My DG pledge sister left her home to come and to sit with me at 1 am. Six hours later she had dropped her infant son at daycare, called in a substitute teacher and drove me between LA and Orange Counties on a series of errands that I had to do that day. That included visiting my parish church, seeing both devastated grandmothers, collecting my brother's belongings from his dorm room and meeting with Chapman University officials.

A few days later, it was my mother's DG pledge sister who came to take charge of his wake after the funeral Mass. Known as an exceptional hostess, she organized the neighbors and friends with food, beverages and flower arrangements. As the weeks passed she and other DGs continued to check in on my our family.

The bonds of sisterhood provided us with the support that we needed throughout an incredibly difficult year.
Old 06-22-2020, 06:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tcsparky
During Pref, there is a time for a few sisters to share their story about sisterhood with the women going through Recruitment. In my second year as a chapter advisor, we had a sophomore share her story. I had known a little bit about it, but I had never heard the entire thing before.

Her mom had been an Alpha Xi at another school, in another state. This sister, we'll call her Brittany, said that during her senior year of high school, her mom was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. She had known her mom was in a sorority, and sometimes did things with her sisters. As Brittany's mom got more ill, her Sisters started coming by the house. They took her to appointments. They went with her to get a wig. They helped Brittany fill out college applications and get ready to graduate. They took her dress shopping for prom. When her mom went into hospital, someone was always at the house to make sure the girls and their dad had dinner and clean clothes. And when her mom died, her mom's Sisters were there to help with the funeral, the visitation and the gathering at the house afterward. When Brittany left for college, they made sure she had what she needed for her dorm room.

They reached out to the chapter to make sure we knew there was a legacy going through. Brittany was a perfect fit for our chapter, and served on eboard many years. She told the Rushess that she had known that even if she didn't join Alpha Xi, she wanted to have that same experience. To have Sisters she could count on. She found it in Alpha Xi.

Everyone was crying by the time she was finished. We didn't have her tell the story every year, but the new members we got that year said that her story convinced them that they had to join a sorority after hearing that, and had been hoping for us!
Old 06-23-2020, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator

What a wonderful example of sisterhood.