GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 856
3 members and 853 guests
indygphib, PGD-GRAD

Old 04-22-2020, 05:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Honorary membership in BGLOs different from regular?

I'm reading Lawrence Ross Jr's book "The Divine Nine: The History of African American Fraternities and Sororities" and a Sigma Gamma Rho in the book mentions joining as an honorary member and later pledging.

Is there a difference in the rights/experience of an honorary member vs a "regular" member? Do honorary members have a chapter?

I'm just trying to understand why this honorary member later pledged and there was no explanation in the book.

(And if any of this is private info and can't be answered, I understand)

Last edited by Jen; 04-22-2020 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Spacing
Old 04-23-2020, 08:26 AM
GreekChat Member

This really differs from organization to organization, depending on their bylaws.

In Alpha, our honorary members had to have the same basic requirements of regular members (like being a man, having a degree, etc) and could be chosen as national honoraries (rare) or chapter honoraries (more common, but still not prevalent).

I think Hubert Humphrey might have been the last honorary member of Alpha. After that, we adopted "special intake." The same rules apply (must be a college graduate), but I think the difference is that they aren't subject to a chapter vote? I can't recall, but here is a press release on the last special intake that I can remember: http://progressivegreek.com/news_eve...tion-ceremony/

Because those Brothers have a chapter, they have all the rights and privileges of any other brother, including the freedom to be active and transfer chapters.

Other NPHC organizations have different rules. I am told by some friends in sororities that their honoraries don't have the same rights or privileges.

Here is an account of how an honorary member of one BGLO had her membership rescinded: https://youtu.be/Lw51ooqM33A

In Gamma Xi Phi, our honorary members are placed in Eta Chapter. They are entitled to a voice, but no vote. If they want additional privileges, they are welcome to transfer to a traditional chapter.
Old 04-23-2020, 07:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks, this helps a lot!

Old 04-29-2020, 04:30 AM
Super Moderator

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen's Revenge View Post
This really differs from organization to organization, depending on their bylaws.......

Other NPHC organizations have different rules. I am told by some friends in sororities that their honoraries don't have the same rights or privileges.

Here is an account of how an honorary member of one BGLO had her membership rescinded: https://youtu.be/Lw51ooqM33A