GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,443
3 members and 2,440 guests
Cookiez17, navane

Old 08-01-2000, 11:43 AM
Goldenstar

Exclamation Curfew

I could use some advice. I'm about to be a college freshman(only like 30 more days)and i still have a 1AM curfew. My parents don't understand that I need more freedom since I'm in college now and I tried totalk to them about it and they said there is no reason I need to be out later than 1(I think it's just b/c I'm a girl and they are being sexist!)And I'm not living on campus this year so they will know if I'm not home by curfew....any tips before they turn me into an even bigger loser? This sucks more than you can imagine:-(
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-01-2000, 01:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

Man, that really blows. You are living at home I take it? Sounds to me like you're screwed, unless you stay at someones house or a dorm every weekend.

------------------
Steve Corbin
Lambda Chi Alpha
Theta Kappa Chapter
Rose-Hulman Inst. of Tech.
Old 08-02-2000, 08:22 PM
GreekChat Member

basically you are stuck with their rules as long as you live their. Maybe as the year progresses you can convince to move it to later by coming in on time and keeping up on academics.

But believe me, when I lived alone. (payed my own rent, my own water, light, gas etc.)

I repeadtly had phone calls at 1,1:10, 1:11, 1:12 (you get the idea) from my mother wondering why i wasn't at home.

And she also had a key (it's hard to aks for that back, but one day she will push you too the limit)and she would come over and be waitying for me in the morning when i came home....lol

My point is that I've lived on my own for four years and she still calls and still worries. They just care and they are trying to protevct there little girl (yes you are and will forever be there little girl) Just let them care about you, and to tell the truth I think I would take a 1:00 curfew to not have to pay my bills....lol

After time progresses you might get a later curfew, but as we have all heard

"As long as you live under my roof you will live under my rules"
Old 08-03-2000, 12:40 AM
GreekChat Member

another idea: you might go for a few weeks of making curfew every night (so you have some lobbying power!), then say "look, I can handle this responsibility, and you need to respect that I am an adult."

You might also point out that if you were living in a dorm, they would not be able to impose a curfew at all, and that you shouldn't be prevented from having the same college experience that you would if you weren't commuting.
Old 08-03-2000, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I found the only solution to get your parents out of the parts of your life you don't want them in is: Take responsibility for yourself. Get out, get a job, get your own place to stay. I did it when I was 17 and they haven't been able to tell me a thing. They are only involved where I want them to be. But when it comes to cufews, dating, drinking, anything -- I am the boss. It's hard, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.