GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,880
1 members and 1,879 guests
Cookiez17

Old 01-28-2005, 10:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation Important Question

Last semester my soroity had to deal with a very delicate situation. An active sister became pregnant and because we have nothing in our constitution or by-laws on how to deal with it it became a very complicated situtaion. Do any other local sororities have any policies on how to deal with such a situation? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!!
Old 01-28-2005, 11:12 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm not in a Local and my sorority accepts women of my all ages, so I don't have any direct experience with your question, but I do have a bit of advice.

If your sorority needs to develop an actual "policy," do so with absolute sensitivity. Above all, keep the well being of the mom-to-be at the heart of your decision. No matter what the circumstances of her pregnancy, she is your sister, and her situation should be handled with love and respect.

Good luck!

Erica
Order of the Rose recipient
Old 01-28-2005, 07:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to chideltjen
We have a policy that a sister who becomes pregnant (or gets married) before she graduates or goes alum (allowed after 6 semesters), she is allowed to go on alumna status without any questions asked. But it's her choice. (But I don't remember any sisters recently that have gotten pregnant while active.)

We have had mothers join the sorority. We have extended bids and they do tend to depledge/go innactive due to time constraints. But I personally find it unfair to not extend a potential sister a chance and let her discover how much work it is to go to school, take care of a child, AND be in a sorority.
Old 03-18-2005, 07:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Aduladi
While my sorority will typically not pledge a pregrnant woman, for liability issues, we don't have a problem with pledging women with children. We are a two year old local sorority that is moving to regional status and we have two current chapters. We don't have a rule around it because for us, it shouldn't prevent you from being an active member of the sorority.

I guess my big question would be: why do you think you need to have a rule? Unless it is a liability issue, I would say that creating an actual POLICY around pregnant women would be skirting the issue of discrimination. And while courts have typically ruled that private organizations/clubs/societies can make whatever rules they want to around membership requirements, I would still avoid having a WRITTEN policy, especially since as an active memebr,s he ahs already done everythign she needs to do to be a full fledged member. I think it would really devalue that woman to have a policy made because of her.

Personally, I would say that what she probably needs is the space to make her own decisions about her activity level with out pressure from the organization. Nine times out of ten, women who are pregnant or mothering will opt to pull back so they can focus on their families. I would say rather than making apolicy, you should give her some time.

Good luck, its a big decision.
"Dare to be Different"
http://www.omicronlambdapi.com
Old 09-14-2006, 12:13 AM
GreekChat Member

That is why we are here

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaGamma View Post
Last semester my soroity had to deal with a very delicate situation. An active sister became pregnant and because we have nothing in our constitution or by-laws on how to deal with it it became a very complicated situtaion. Do any other local sororities have any policies on how to deal with such a situation? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!!
Hello I hit this because when I searched for other sorority geared for women who are mothers this article came up, as I read all this ideas I knew that my sorority Mu Omicron Mu Colligate Mother Sorority is trulyreeded We must remember that College age women are adults this is not like we are encouraging teen pregnancy but that we are trying to continue women to stay focused on a goal of success for we all must realize that college is a major part of future success so we need to create a place for mother to get a sisterhood where they are supported to continue on there path of success

Last edited by BlACKROSE; 09-14-2006 at 12:15 AM.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlACKROSE View Post
Hello I hit this because when I searched for other sorority geared for women who are mothers this article came up, as I read all this ideas I knew that my sorority Mu Omicron Mu Colligate Mother Sorority is trulyreeded We must remember that College age women are adults this is not like we are encouraging teen pregnancy but that we are trying to continue women to stay focused on a goal of success for we all must realize that college is a major part of future success so we need to create a place for mother to get a sisterhood where they are supported to continue on there path of success

Do you provide free babysitting for ritual and chapter? And, do you do AI? Can I get a sponsor on GC?
Old 09-14-2006, 10:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippiechick View Post
Can I get a sponsor on GC?
I'll sponsor you. I'm not a member of the sorority, nor do I have a kid. But hey, AI is the wave of the future, so that shouldn't be a problem.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLPDaisy View Post
I'll sponsor you. I'm not a member of the sorority, nor do I have a kid. But hey, AI is the wave of the future, so that shouldn't be a problem.
Awesome!
Old 09-18-2006, 06:49 PM
Banned

I worked with a girl that had a baby her senior year when she was in a sorority, at a very prestigious private college...her sisters threw her a huge baby shower and also gave her baby sitting "coupons".

I thought that was amazingly supportive, and she did too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaGamma View Post