GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Kappa Gamma

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,396
0 members and 1,396 guests
No Members online

Old 04-19-2002, 02:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to vukkg
Question Sapphire Sisters

Could anyone explain to me how the sapphire system works....I've heard it used but my chapter only uses Key Sisters. Also, my chapter is is trying to use Kores more effectively - any suggestions?? Thanks guys!!
Old 05-02-2002, 05:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy Please help

Hey everyone..almost 50 people have read my question but no one has made any effort to answer it! PLEASE...someone help me =) My chapter is only 5 years old...we don't have anyone else to ask these kinds of things too!
Old 05-02-2002, 09:35 PM

Hi there!

I'm not a Kappa but I've looked at this more than once so I figured I'd respond. What exactly are Key sisters?
In my chapter, Sigma Kappa, we get Heart sisters at bid day. Your heart sister is like your temporary big sister until everyone gets to know eachother and big/lil pairs are made. We also have Violet sisters. Violet sisters are picked by the pledges and are sisters that inspired the pledge. Violet sis' are matched during inspiration week.
Don't know if this helps at all; but, good luck!
Old 05-03-2002, 09:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Thank you! Your heart sisters sound very much like Kappa's Key Sisters - she's more of a mentor. I really like the violet sister idea! Maybe we can try a variation of that here! Thanks again!
Old 06-02-2002, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to beth5483
Our chapter uses Key Sisters as your permant "big" we get them on Bid Day...we also use the kore families for non-mandatory events....Fraternity Functions, games days, campus activities. The Owl and Key group will attend on thing, the Key and Fluer de lis will attend another, and then the Fluer de lis and Owl, and we just rotate the groups...that way we have 2/3 of our house at events...but you can still attend the event even if its not your groups turn....I hope this helps!
Old 06-03-2002, 01:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to EmilyKKG
Hi!

I'm the N.M. Chairman at Kappa chapter in Hillsdale.

As part of the New Member program, we try to integrate the new members as quickly as possible. One of the ways we do this is to give them a small, closely-knit group of sisters who will teach them about Kappa and all of her ideals. This is the "Kore Group".

We encourage each member of the Kore to meet with the new member and do some sort of bonding activity (i.e. go out for coffee, or volunteer together). This helps form a strong bond in the Kore and teaches the new member the true meaning of sisterhood. It makes them feel as if they really are becoming a part of the chapter.

We also have scholarship games in Kores. Each week at AC we record how many A's you got, how many hours you studied with your Kore members, and thing likes that. It encourages Kores to work together.

Kore groups sit together at AC. We do philanthropies broken up in to Kores and we even use the Kore Groups for membership recruitment.

I have no idea what that sapphire system is.. hmm....

Good luck. Email me if you have any other questions.. I'd be happy to help
Old 07-24-2002, 12:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KappaKittyCat
Lightbulb NMP Cool Stuff

HI!

I've just discovered the KKG area on GC and am super-excited about it. I went to Convention last month and my favorite part was meeting new Kappa sisters from all over. So I'll just take a moment to introduce myself before I throw in my two cents.

Username: KappaKittyCat
Also known as: TetraTitania (on AIM and Yahoo), Andi, or just plain Andrea
Chapter: Zeta Epsilon; Lawrence University; Appleton, WI
Birthday: 7/31/81-- I'm a Leo
Initiated: 12/3/00
Major(s): Currently pursuing a B.A. in history (English minor) and a B.Mus. in choral/general music education
When I grow up I want to be: Pope!
Hometown: Madison, WI
Current Offices: VPS, Marshal
Past Offices: Membership, Scholarship, PR, Philanthropy, Social, Registrar, Panhel Delegate (what can I say... small chapter)
Favorite Clean Kappa Song: "Tirzah's Song" (aka "The Spirit of KKG")
Favorite Rowdy Kappa Song: "Oh, Pat!" (of course!)
Favorite Dirty Kappa Song: "On Top of a Phi Delt"

Okay, here's what I learned about big/little sisses, Key Sisses, and the NMP at Convention:

The only reason they changed the nomenclature was to get away from the supposed "drinking focus" of the big/little relationship. Your "Big Key Sis" is your big sis and your "Little Key Sis" is your little sis. They just wanted to change the name in the hopes that it would make the rest of us forget about alcohol.

Bunches of chapters assign "Heart Sisters," "Sapphire Sisters," "Owl Sisters," "Bid Day Buddies," "Mentors," or whatever you want to call them, for most of the NMP. Big/little matches, what HQ calls "Key Sisters," are assigned via a mutual selection process and revealed before Initiation. We got a huge lecture about it at a workshop at Convention. This practice has been deemed officially naughty by HQ, and we must abide by the NMP of 1998 whether we agree with it or not (and I do have some issues with it). Immediately upon formal pledging, an NM is to be assigned to a Key Sis and a Kore, whose job it is to support the NM's throughout the NMP.

Let me say this again, because it was drilled into me at Convention until I believed it, which I do now. HQ firmly feels that this system is the best way to provide the maximum amount of support for NM's throughout the NMP. It's all about them.

Now, our chapter had certain problems with this. For starters, the other two women's GLOs on campus have a mutual selection process to decide big/little matches, which are revealed just before initiation. The bigs know for a week before the littles, and the bigs take that week to plaster their doors with decorations and build up the suspense. Big Sis Rev night is just like Christmas. The families and bigs shower the littles with gifts. It all seems a little superficial to me, really, and it can and does backfire. [I know of a certain girl in one of these chapters who was unhappy with her "mutually selected" big sis. Her family was small, just her big and her grand, and compared to girls joining the big, six- or seven-woman families, this NM didn't get any stuff at all. Her big was really upset and asked me if I thought she should get the little more stuff to make her feel better. *Shrug* But then, this is the most superficial, shallow group on campus, so what do you expect?]

Another thing I've noted is that the mutual selection process for big/little sisses doesn't necessarily work any better than the seemingly random way that Kappa does it. The above example is case in point. Look at it this way: your best friend is going to be your best friend regardless of whether she's your big/little sis. Our chapter's CCD told me that she and her best friend intentionally did not put each other down on the mutual selection form for big/little sis matches. They figured that they already knew each other and they would be best friends anyway. They wanted to use the big/little relationship to get to know others even more. They were more than a little disappointed when they got matched with each other anyway. A "mutually selected" big sis can be just as great or just as much of a dud as a "randomly selected" one can. Anyway, my point is that sometimes the lack of pomp and circumstance and "stuff" in our system can be a bit of a downer to NM's and actives alike. We spent a lot of time at Convention brainstorming ideas to combat this and make our NMP be the best on campus.

1) Kores only need change once a year, and there's no rule that says they can't be family lines. In my chapter's case, because we are smaller, we lump two lines together into a Kore, but once we grow bigger, we'll change that. This is a good way to keep the lines intact (and alumnae happy) while utilizing the Kore system.

2) Formal Pledging need not occur on Bid Day itself. It can wait until the chapter meeting immediately following Bid Day. With ZE, this gives us two whole days.

3) Maybe this only works because we're smaller and have a smaller Recruitment, but we have fun on Bid Day before the new women show up, arguing and fighting over who gets whom as a little Key Sis. It's really fun to watch girls fight over their "Rush Crushes." In other cases it's one active saying to another, "Oh, I met her, you two would get along great!" The opportunity to get to know a new woman is the focal point of matching.

4) We can tentatively have the Key Sis matches in place for Bid Day, though the new women won't know that there's a method to the madness of who greets whom at the door. Kores can hang out on Bid Day, but they can just be groups for that day, as far as the new women are concerned. Then we can use the time between Bid Day and Formal Pledging to make sure those matches are going to work. If something's horrendously wrong, then a change can be made.

5) The National Director of Membership has approved the use of ceremonies (i.e. ZH's champagne flute overflowing) or games (i.e. puzzles or stringing-- as long as it doesn't leave the building) for revealing Key Sisses and/or Kores. Imagine following your string to a bathroom stall and having not one but five women jump out of it. (How we'd get the five women into the bathroom stall in the first place is beyond me, but you get the point.) We could do Key Sis/Kore Revelation (fun, silly stuff) and move directly into Formal Pledging (beautiful, moving stuff). Think of the potential positive spin on this. "I don't just get one Big Sis, but I get a whole group of women to spoil and take care of me! And I don't have to wait to find out who they are; I get them right away!"

6) At Convention, a NM Chair shared an idea that had worked well with her chapter for making sure the Kores did stuff for the littles for Initiation (i.e. gifts). She uses her budget to get picture frames, candle holders, notepads, white t-shirts, etc., and paints, beads, and glitter. The upperclass women have a day where each Kore decorates stuff for its NM to give to her at Initiation. That way, all NM's are treated equally and they still get "stuff."

7) Another important part of the NMP is the Retreat. It's highly necessary for NM Class bonding (not to mention FUN) and they highly suggest getting off-campus, away from the house/wing/room/whatever. While the NM's are off with the NM Chair doing NM things, it is also a good time for the upperclass women to bond, maybe broken up by class rather than by Kore, and make "stuff" (i.e. door decs) for the NM's.

8) We at ZE also use Kores for things like scholarship programs and teams for competitions and such. Another idea we learned at Convention is to have Kores in an overall competition for each term. They can get points for everything like having members get good grades, hours studied, showing up at events together, or hanging out with each other-- you name it. You could also do a system that would not require the entire Kore to be present. For example, if two girls studied together the Kore would get two points, if four girls had coffee the Kore would get four, etc. Combining everything makes it easier 'cuz you don't have nine separate competitions to keep track of.

Right, then. I should probably stop babbling now. I am just really excited by what I learned at Convention. I'd come in there being very down about our NMP, but this workshop (followed by a long brainstorming session with ZE's President and VPO in the jacuzzi) changed my mind entirely. They made me see how truly flexible the NMP can be and how it provides optimum support for NM's. I just have to add that my NMP was great. My Key Sis and Kore were constantly there for me, checking in to see how I was doing, dropping me silly emails and notes, etc. They made me feel like I was the most important member of Kappa all the time I was an NM. I didn't even get much in the way of physical, tangible "stuff" (in fact I made most of my own door decs), but it was meaningful and loving just the same.

Feel free to drop me an email if you have any questions for me or just want to chat. I'm tetratitania@yahoo.com, and I'd love to get to know any and all of you.

Lovingly Delsigmata,
Andrea

PS: Greek Geek fun fact of the day: The proper pronunciation of "Kore" is actually "kor-AY." A Kore is a maidservant of Athena. Six Kore statues act as columns supporting the entrance to the temple of Athena at the Parthenon in Athens. The plural of "Kore" is, of course, "Korai."

PPS: I'd like to send a shout out to my lovely ZE sister KappaStarGirl out in SoCal. Hey, Carlie! You rock!

Last edited by KappaKittyCat; 08-23-2002 at 09:49 AM.