GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 307,842
Threads: 114,781
Posts: 2,159,168
Welcome to our newest member, AthenaMacd
» Online Users: 387
3 members and 384 guests
naraht, oboissonnedmu, trmsbpgih
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 07-23-2018, 03:03 PM
APhi2KD APhi2KD is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 150
And one thing that is different since most of us went through: RFM.
The result being that in the first rounds, popular houses with traditionally high return percentages have to make DEEP cuts. So a PNM can have a great round at several houses and feel really positive about them but be shocked when see their next round invitation list.
In these rounds, houses MUST cut x number of PNMs so they will look for arbitrary reasons to cut: no rec, GPA, a legacy expected to go to their legacy house, ANYTHING. Unfortunately, it just comes down to numbers.

These cuts are the least personal, but are so shocking they are confidence killers. It’s hard for PNMs (and their moms) to understand why they were cut from half the houses when they’re an awesome girl and the parties went well. Then other girls will have a full schedule and it just won’t make any sense! There simply may be NO reason other than fate.

This is when you are going to die a little inside. This is when you’ll need to be there for your daughter, and we will be here for you! <3
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-23-2018, 03:40 PM
FSUZeta FSUZeta is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: naples, florida
Posts: 15,282
^^^^^AND THIS^^^^^
__________________
I live in Fantasyland and I have waterfront property.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-23-2018, 06:42 PM
ladybug12 ladybug12 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 490
Best explanation I have seen about RFM that breaks it down into a few, simple sentences.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-23-2018, 10:36 PM
funinthesun funinthesun is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by APhi2KD View Post
And one thing that is different since most of us went through: RFM.
The result being that in the first rounds, popular houses with traditionally high return percentages have to make DEEP cuts. So a PNM can have a great round at several houses and feel really positive about them but be shocked when see their next round invitation list.
In these rounds, houses MUST cut x number of PNMs so they will look for arbitrary reasons to cut: no rec, GPA, a legacy expected to go to their legacy house, ANYTHING. Unfortunately, it just comes down to numbers.

These cuts are the least personal, but are so shocking they are confidence killers. It’s hard for PNMs (and their moms) to understand why they were cut from half the houses when they’re an awesome girl and the parties went well. Then other girls will have a full schedule and it just won’t make any sense! There simply may be NO reason other than fate.

This is when you are going to die a little inside. This is when you’ll need to be there for your daughter, and we will be here for you! <3
Wow! I am SO glad I found this group. I'm definitely going to need the support. Already stocking up on wine to help get me through move in and recruitment!! ;-)
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-24-2018, 02:20 PM
NYCMS NYCMS is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 218
Heads up to the moms with daughters rushing this fall, including those on this thread - funinthesun and Theta1234 - there is a really delightful post here by a gal who details her entire rush experience. She's now out of school (but I think only by a few years) - it is so well written that I think it would give your daughters a good sense of rush. I think it was figured out, by various readers, that this member rushed at Indiana University which has a pretty competitive rush so it could be a good comparison to your daughters' school.

It's called "A Spicy Recruitment" - named so since the school has so many houses that she needed lots of names to use (hence spices, LOL).

Check it out.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-24-2018, 04:09 PM
FSUZeta FSUZeta is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: naples, florida
Posts: 15,282
Curlygurl's is another must read.
__________________
I live in Fantasyland and I have waterfront property.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-24-2018, 11:04 PM
YellowRose50 YellowRose50 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 12
My DD is very excited, and we were just talking about jewelry with her clothing tonight. She has met with older friends from high school that have gone through at various schools to talk to them about their experience. All the advice they give is the same advice my family and I have been giving her, she has read, and I have relayed from here. Something about the same advice from a friend that settles better sometimes than from mom. Funny thing was I asked her if she wanted to talk to my cousin as well and she said "Mom...y'all went through in the 80's....it's not exactly the same." To my cousin and I, the 80's were just yesterday.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-24-2018, 11:08 PM
YellowRose50 YellowRose50 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by APhi2KD View Post
And one thing that is different since most of us went through: RFM.
The result being that in the first rounds, popular houses with traditionally high return percentages have to make DEEP cuts. So a PNM can have a great round at several houses and feel really positive about them but be shocked when see their next round invitation list.
In these rounds, houses MUST cut x number of PNMs so they will look for arbitrary reasons to cut: no rec, GPA, a legacy expected to go to their legacy house, ANYTHING. Unfortunately, it just comes down to numbers.

These cuts are the least personal, but are so shocking they are confidence killers. It’s hard for PNMs (and their moms) to understand why they were cut from half the houses when they’re an awesome girl and the parties went well. Then other girls will have a full schedule and it just won’t make any sense! There simply may be NO reason other than fate.

This is when you are going to die a little inside. This is when you’ll need to be there for your daughter, and we will be here for you! <3
I am copying and pasting for DD!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-24-2018, 11:32 PM
APhi2KD APhi2KD is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowRose50 View Post
My DD is very excited, and we were just talking about jewelry with her clothing tonight. She has met with older friends from high school that have gone through at various schools to talk to them about their experience. All the advice they give is the same advice my family and I have been giving her, she has read, and I have relayed from here. Something about the same advice from a friend that settles better sometimes than from mom. Funny thing was I asked her if she wanted to talk to my cousin as well and she said "Mom...y'all went through in the 80's....it's not exactly the same." To my cousin and I, the 80's were just yesterday.
It wasn’t just yesterday?

After accessory selection, we put each day’s accessories IN a ziploc ON the hanger with the outfit she was wearing. Had to keep the last minute panics of, “omg where is my ....!?!” at bay. After the mind-numbing fog of war, *ahem* “recruitment”, sets in, we didn’t want her to waste any mental energy on finding each day’s accoutrements!

Last edited by APhi2KD; 07-24-2018 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Addition
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-25-2018, 12:03 AM
funinthesun funinthesun is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by APhi2KD View Post
It wasn’t just yesterday?

After accessory selection, we put each day’s accessories IN a ziploc ON the hanger with the outfit she was wearing. Had to keep the last minute panics of, “omg where is my ....!?!” at bay. After the mind-numbing fog of war, *ahem* “recruitment”, sets in, we didn’t want her to waste any mental energy on finding each day’s accoutrements!
This is a great idea. We are not this far along as we haven't really worked on outfits yet, but I'm definitely taking this advice. Of course, my daughter will think I'm ridiculous!
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-25-2018, 12:06 AM
YellowRose50 YellowRose50 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by APhi2KD View Post
It wasn’t just yesterday?

After accessory selection, we put each day’s accessories IN a ziploc ON the hanger with the outfit she was wearing. Had to keep the last minute panics of, “omg where is my ....!?!” at bay. After the mind-numbing fog of war, *ahem* “recruitment”, sets in, we didn’t want her to waste any mental energy on finding each day’s accouterments!
This is exactly what we are doing next week! She has tried on everything and sent pics to grandma, aunt, and cousin (all same sorority at the same school as she is attending) to ask for their opinion. NOW....that being said....same sorority, same school....they (me included) have given the "open mind" speech and she has heard that!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-25-2018, 12:14 AM
YellowRose50 YellowRose50 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 12
Anyone else's husband, that was in a fraternity, relaying their experience with getting their bid to DD and comparing experiences. My DH told my DD how he got his bid to his fraternity in the back room of the fraternity house and the rest is history! She said "Daddy....that doesn't help and again...it was the 80s!"

"sipping wine now"
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-25-2018, 12:31 AM
APhi2KD APhi2KD is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by funinthesun View Post
This is a great idea. We are not this far along as we haven't really worked on outfits yet, but I'm definitely taking this advice. Of course, my daughter will think I'm ridiculous!
She may! But when her brain is f-r-i-e-d after Round 1, she may figure out her mom’s not so crazy after all!
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-25-2018, 12:35 AM
APhi2KD APhi2KD is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowRose50 View Post
Anyone else's husband, that was in a fraternity, relaying their experience with getting their bid to DD and comparing experiences. My DH told my DD how he got his bid to his fraternity in the back room of the fraternity house and the rest is history! She said "Daddy....that doesn't help and again...it was the 80s!"

"sipping wine now"
I love how every generation thinks they invented everything, lol. Like when my son asked, “How do YOU know about LED Zeppelin!?!” (head, meet steering wheel)
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07-25-2018, 02:34 PM
granipc granipc is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by APhi2KD View Post
It wasn’t just yesterday?

After accessory selection, we put each day’s accessories IN a ziploc ON the hanger with the outfit she was wearing. Had to keep the last minute panics of, “omg where is my ....!?!” at bay. After the mind-numbing fog of war, *ahem* “recruitment”, sets in, we didn’t want her to waste any mental energy on finding each day’s accoutrements!
We've done this with dance for years... baggie has "bun cover, gloves, earrings, tights", etc. as in whatever was supposed to go with costume and then just poke a hole with the hanger so it hangs at the top. DD and I already discussed she will be doing the same for recruitment, relieves so much stress, especially if they are pressed for time!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thread to Draft NutBrnHair Into the Retro Recruitment Thread Movement! carnation Recruitment Stories 71 08-21-2015 09:58 AM
Official Hijack this Thread Thread moe.ron Chit Chat 1616 07-09-2010 07:27 PM
In this thread we think of the most boring thread subjects! Dionysus Chit Chat 13 01-18-2005 11:40 AM
In This Thread, We Admire How Great In This Thread Really Is moe.ron Chit Chat 81 07-21-2004 01:12 AM
HC the HC thread is the longest running thread on GC? Ideal08 Alpha Kappa Alpha 154 11-20-2003 11:06 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.