GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,422
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, indisigma00
» Online Users: 2,598
1 members and 2,597 guests
indisigma00

Old 07-09-2000, 08:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to Eli
Post Architecture and Greek Housing

Im sure that everyone dreams of the perfect frat house... and this may sound like a dumb topic... (but hey, I love architecture). My question for everyone here is to describe what they envision as the "pefect frat house."

I guess my design come from my neighbors house. A 20,000 square foot "castle" motif. On the foundation of my "perfect" frat house there would be a corner stone at each corner of the foundation...T,R,S,U (the foudations upon which our frat was founded). There would be Gargoyles on the roof (Im not a Gargoyle nut, but I have been researching points of building extensively on the internet), with metal cresting from end to end.

The house would have a grand ballroom and gormet kitchen with a butlers pantry.

The house would have ten bedrooms each with their own bathroom, and a grand three story entry foyer. And a California Room (indoor pool). I have figured this house will cost around two-three million dollars. (If I ever find my pot-o-gold, I would build this house in an instant for my fraternity.

The property would have about twelve acres of land, and much of it would have fiberoptic lighting to illuminate things.

Easy E www.angelfire.com/va2/gammachi

[This message has been edited by Eli (edited July 09, 2000).]
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-10-2000, 02:47 AM

Smile

Hey Eli!

Whenever I invision my dream sorority house it looks like a big ole plantation house. Three stories, wrap around porch (with swing), and lots of pillars.

But Lord knows if we ever get one it'll look like your typical humongous California home with lots of Spanish influence.
Old 07-10-2000, 11:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Thats neat SoCalGirl!

What you describe sounds more like my personal dream home. (a 16,000 sqft Southern Mansion). This house has wrap around decks on both floors. (I am making a collection for this house by reading for sale ads of houses around Richmond. I take the features I like of house houses, describe why I like them on paper, then paste them into a book. (About 600 pages in length so far).

Currently,
There are 6 BR, 7 1/2 BA, Weight gym, two story conservatory, 10,000 sqft of decking, five car garage, theater (I dont mean a living room theater, I mean a small "movie theater" with sound insulated walls), Gormet kitchen, Grand entry foyer, 10' wide halls, roof cresting, a metal (or slate) roof, tin ceilings in the formal dinning room, a wine cellar, historic iron driveway lights, 20x40 heated pool with automoatic pool cover and fiber optic lighting, heated floors in all bedrooms and bathtrooms, and I thnk ill stop rambling now.
Thanks for your reply,

[This message has been edited by Eli (edited July 10, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Eli (edited July 10, 2000).]
Old 07-10-2000, 05:05 PM

Smile

Hi Steve,

It's funny that you mentioned the state of the art kitchen. I was talking to one of our National VP's about housing and she said that the kitchens are one of the reasons that the houses are so costly.

They are required to meet commercial quality. That gets so expensive! But of course when you have someone cooking for about 50 people I'd want a commercial kitchen too.
Old 07-10-2000, 09:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

If anyone wants, I have almost 200 links for different supply companies for reference in the designing of various rooms for houses.
(They range from ovens including technical things for them, to a dozen sites on heated floors).

Old 07-11-2000, 12:08 AM
GreekChat Member

For my dream Frat. House, I would like to keep it fairly small, big enough to house all current actives, plus room for about 10 or so more, to allow for growth. I like the southern style house with the columns, but lets face it, a regular house doesn't necessarily make a good Frat. House! It would have 15x15 rooms with high ceilings for a full loft, 2 bros to a room. There would be community bathrooms, maybe 1 for each floor or hall, but with shower stalls, not gangbang showers A large state of the art kitchen would be nice, as ours is old as the hills, and i don't think we're EVER going to get a new one! a couple of study rooms, a formal, a storage room for the EC stuff, a nice foyer for the composites, and maybe even a weight room would be nice. We have an atrium in the middle of our house now, and it's great, so that would be nice too. There would be a large front yard, and a front porch/patio big enough for many people (we spend a lot of time on our porch). In the back, I'd have a sand volleyball pit, a couple of horseshoe pits, a barbecue, and a basketball goal. I can't really think of anything else, but it sounds like a good start

------------------
Steve Corbin
Lambda Chi Alpha
Theta Kappa Zeta Chapter
Rose-Hulman Inst. of Tech.