GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,428
0 members and 2,428 guests
No Members online

Old 07-14-2009, 09:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kddani View Post
But was she a transfer? There's a big difference between a junior who has already been on campus for two years, is involved and knows a lot of people and a junior transfer with little to know connections.
Just a question/not trying to amp up anything:

At competative schools like Ole Miss and UF, is there a difference between transfering from Random College and transferring from, shall we say, Prestigious Junior College for Women. I know that back in my day, it was very common at places like UNC (Chapel Hill) for junior transfers to get a bid if they were coming from one of a handful of girls' schools, especially if they had made their debut sophomore year.

Granted, those factors provided connections, sometimes better connections than a random freshman had. Just wondering if this can still be a factor, especially at more competative schools. (And I realize as I type this that two such schools I was familiar with are no longer junior colleges; one is now a 4-year college and one is only a high school -- it used to be a last-two years of high school/first two years of college institution -- so maybe its just not as much of an issue period anymore.)
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-14-2009, 09:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to GatorDG
It will be interesting to see if more schools will start adopting "Upper Class Quotas". With the economy being what it is, there may be some wonderful women who are academically eligible for a four year school but not able to attend for financial reasons. Some states give BIG financial assistance to high achievers (Florida Bright Futures and Georgia has something as well) but with states in major budget crunches, those may be cut back drastically as well.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
Heart Sister? I'm guessing that's like a Big/Little?

Its what we call our Bid Day buddy!
Old 07-15-2009, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator

i don't think that one community college would be more prestigious than another-they're just community colleges.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
i don't think that one community college would be more prestigious than another-they're just community colleges.
If you're responding to my question, I wasn't talking about prestigious community colleges. (I don't think I've ever heard of such a thing. ) I was talking about prestigious girl's/private colleges.

Like I said, there simply may not be as many of them anymore.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:05 AM
GreekChat Member

I would not say there are 'prestigious' community colleges in any of the states that I have lived or worked (taught) but some are (much) better than others on a range of academic and nonacademic dimensions that could affect recruitment and other opportunities.

GreekChat.com - The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network
Old 07-15-2009, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
If you're responding to my question, I wasn't talking about prestigious community colleges. (I don't think I've ever heard of such a thing. ) I was talking about prestigious girl's/private colleges.

Like I said, there simply may not be as many of them anymore.

ha ha-i wondered! not that there is anything wrong with attending a community college........
Old 12-04-2009, 09:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippiechick View Post
I don't care where you went, how much you've volunteered, ETC... I call bullshit when I see it. And, you are giving this girl what could and probably will be false hope.

Why can't you be honest with her? Are you afraid it would make UF look evil to admit it's a tough place to rush as an upperclassman? I went to Ole Miss, and by damn, it's tough as shit to get in a house as an upperclassman.

Is it impossible to get in a house? NO. But, I suppose it is also not impossible for me to bump into Jason Statham tomorrow. It's not probable. But, I suppose I could tell myself that it depends on the particular situation and circumstances. I'd rather not lie to myself -- it's not likely.

BTW, you do realize your reply just AGREED WITH EVERYTHING I SAID, RIGHT?

So, what was the point? You wanted me to know you went to UF? Please... I've been on here enough to research where someone went to school and what group they are in in order to know where their head is in a discussion.

Why beat around the bush telling someone the truth about rush? Just say it bluntly. No one does any favors on here by telling people to, "Go meet sorority girls," or "Make friends in houses," or "Make sure you have the total package." Just tell them the truth and don't blow sunshine up their ass.

Well I actually am a transfer student that came to UF and went through recruitment and no I didn't have a full schedule of houses to go to every round. But I had alot more houses then some of the Freshman in my tent. I ended up in a house that I love and while there are some houses that don't take upperclassman, you should still make the effort and go through recruitment. Be your self and presentable and you will be accepted somewhere. Almost every women who sticks through recruitment receives a bid.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmakgator22 View Post
Be your self and presentable and you will be accepted somewhere. Almost every women who sticks through recruitment receives a bid.
I bolded a couple of key words.

You said all you had to do was be presentable and you WILL be accepted somewhere. Sorry, but there is no such thing as absolutes when it comes to competitive schools.

Then you went on to say that "ALMOST" every person who sticks through recruitment receives a bid. Almost does not = everyone. So this sort of cancelled out the statement in which you said you "WILL" get accepted somewhere.

Just sayin'
Old 12-06-2009, 07:54 PM
GreekChat Member

hey! i'm a sophomore and i rushed in august and got a bid! in fact, in my chapter there's a junior who transferred from community college! I won't lie, getting in past your freshman year is very difficult and it helps a lot if you have the recommendations and a past extracurricular resume. but if it helps, according to one of my pi chis, for the past couple years at UF, if you make it in to prefs round, you're basically guaranteed a bid. the key is to be open minded and stick it out to the end. many girls dropped out during recruitment, but i'm glad i didn't despite the heavy cuts, because I wouldn't have gotten into the chapter that i'm in love with now!! so good luck and i hope this was helpful!!
Old 12-06-2009, 10:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations and super to hear more positive input here about UF and transfers/upperclassmen.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I rushed as a sophomore at UF, too. In my pledge class, there were several girls who were junior transfers. It was a really, really big deal for my chapter. There was also a junior transfer in my rush group who ended up in one of the "top" houses at UF (I just gagged as I typed that.) From what I've seen and heard, junior transfers are becoming more commonplace, especially as less and less girls are through recruitment.
Obviously, recruitment is not easy at UF, and it gets more and more difficult the older you get. But I don't think it's quite as impossible to get a bid as a junior transfer as it once was.

Also, if you're super realistic about your chances of getting cut from most houses during fall recruitment and don't want to deal with it but still want to go greek, I would look into spring recruitment. Not all of the chapters participate, but it's much more laid back and not formal at all. I've had several friends who were juniors go through spring recruitment and got a bid from a chapter they absolutely love.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmakgator22 View Post
Well I actually am a transfer student that came to UF and went through recruitment and no I didn't have a full schedule of houses to go to every round. But I had alot more houses then some of the Freshman in my tent. I ended up in a house that I love and while there are some houses that don't take upperclassman, you should still make the effort and go through recruitment. Be your self and presentable and you will be accepted somewhere. Almost every women who sticks through recruitment receives a bid.
You are missing the entire point! Jeez, do people even read through the posts they reply to anymore?

The point of the posts is to say: Yes, it can happen. No, it is not commonplace. No, not every house will even consider upperclassmen. But, if you are willing to consider all your options, it might happen.

Stop telling people on here that they WILL be accepted somewhere. There are quite a few ladies who never get a bid despite maximizing their choices. This is the same kind of shit that started the argument in the first place!
Old 01-03-2010, 06:48 PM
GreekChat Member

similar question but not rushing

I am an initiate of a large national sorority, after I left, the chapter was later closed at the school for rushing violations. I have been attending a two year school, and now plan to transfer to a large campus where my sorority is active. Will I go the house and introduce myself? are you usually automatically welcomed as a member? i'm 21 but will still be at the school for 2 years. Any thoughts? I've been told I can't change sororities.

Last edited by talk2; 01-03-2010 at 06:50 PM. Reason: words
Old 01-03-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talk2 View Post
I am an initiate of a large national sorority, after I left, the chapter was later closed at the school for rushing violations. I have been attending a two year school, and now plan to transfer to a large campus where my sorority is active. Will I go the house and introduce myself? are you usually automatically welcomed as a member? i'm 21 but will still be at the school for 2 years. Any thoughts? I've been told I can't change sororities.
No, you cannot change sororities. I'm assuming you did not have your membership revoked/terminated/whatever your group calls it.

The first thing you should do is check with your national HQ and make sure you can become an active member again. Some groups do not allow members to become active collegiate members again once they have taken alumnae status, even if that was as the result of a chapter closure.

If you are ok to rejoin as an active collegian - whether you can join immediately or not differs from sorority to sorority. Again, ask your national HQ for the proper procedure.