GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,386
1 members and 1,385 guests
FSUZeta

Old 11-30-2009, 10:31 AM
GreekChat Member

I was curious as to whether or not APO specified the arraignment, obviously if the significance is unchanged I suppose it doesn't matter too much. And thanks for the links - I don't know why I didn't think of the Library of Congress in the first place!
Old 11-30-2009, 12:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusteau View Post
I was curious as to whether or not APO specified the arraignment, obviously if the significance is unchanged I suppose it doesn't matter too much. And thanks for the links - I don't know why I didn't think of the Library of Congress in the first place!
I know, but still personally annoying to see done both ways, and I'm on the National History Committee, so well within my purview of annoyance.

Good luck!
Old 12-14-2009, 01:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
I've found that my National Fraternity (Alpha Phi Omega) is *very* confused about the terms "Coat of Arms" and "Crest", using the terms interchangably to refer to the Coat of Arms.
Here is some interesting detail/background on the Shield of Iota Phi Theta...

"The Shield of Iota Phi Theta (significantly, not a "crest" or "Coat of arms") is the most commonly used symbol of the Fraternity. Its connotation, or meaning, is revealed by the initiation ritual. It is considered Heraldically Incorrect and this is so by design. This is a testament to the desire of the Founders to create symbolism that would represent an organization dedicated to embodying a fresh approach.

The Heraldic Blazoning of Iota Phi Theta's shield is as follows:
"Brunatre a border Or, on an inescutcheon Brunatre bordered Or the Greek letters Iota Phi Theta of the last, in chief a cross Sable alight with twelve rays Or, a candle alight Gules with five rays Or, a Centaur Vert with eyes Gules, in base five mullets Or."

Last edited by 3AH80; 12-14-2009 at 01:36 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3AH80 View Post
It is considered Heraldically Incorrect and this is so by design. This is a testament to the desire of the Founders to create symbolism that would represent an organization dedicated to embodying a fresh approach.
Very interesting - it definitly goes along with your motto, etc.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Bump!

I am going to post in this thread later today.. I just don't want to dig for it.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Kay got what I needed.

Original SigEp CoA:

Current CoA:
Old 07-03-2010, 10:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for bumping one of my favorite threads! What is inside the Cross on the old CoA? It looks like a skull and crossbones to me but I can't really tell.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Thanks for bumping one of my favorite threads! What is inside the Cross on the old CoA? It looks like a skull and crossbones to me but I can't really tell.
Looks like a lamp, it just blends in in the black and white.
Old 07-03-2010, 02:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
No problem!

It's still a lamp like on the current one. The skull and crossbones has never migrated from the badge.

And I just realized that I have seen it in color ONCE... but I don't remember what color everything was... I think everything that was gold on the current one was gold on the old one... But I don't know if everything else was purple and red or if there was white in there... or something...
Old 07-04-2010, 07:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Same problem with old APO pledge pins

Alpha Phi Omega's pledge pins in the first 10-20 years of existance was a shield divided into two halves (left and right) with one side gold and the other blue, but I've never seen one and aren't even sure which one was on which side.

Our current pledge pins are of the same shape and size as the brotherhood pins and are the same except that the pledge pins have a P in the middle instead of the S and the colors of the center inverted...

Last edited by naraht; 07-04-2010 at 07:52 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-04-2010, 08:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshsx1 View Post
No problem!

It's still a lamp like on the current one. The skull and crossbones has never migrated from the badge.

And I just realized that I have seen it in color ONCE... but I don't remember what color everything was... I think everything that was gold on the current one was gold on the old one... But I don't know if everything else was purple and red or if there was white in there... or something...
Thank you, it was a little blurry so I wasn't sure! As to the colors - that's easy! Before color printing certain patterns were used to distinguish heraldic colors.

In the first quadrant (with the star) the field is purpure (purple). In the fourth quadrant (with the sword) the field is gules (red). The second and third quadrants are argent (silver or white). The sword, star, and cross appear to be gold, but I can't completely distinguish the pattern (it would be little dots)

Last edited by Gusteau; 07-04-2010 at 12:31 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Yup, I know for sure those are gold.

Thanks, though!!