GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,643
2 members and 1,641 guests
flamboyanttree, LaneSig

Old 07-06-2010, 01:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Starting a new chapter

I e mailed phi kappa alpha about starting a chapter at my school and I think they have contacted my school school cause a friend told me that there was some buzz about a new fraternity trying to join. Should i wait to call or just call the pikes back? Ive been waiting for almost two weeks and i dont want to wait much longer cause i wanna start getting stuff ready and do whatever it is i have to before schools starts
Old 07-06-2010, 01:35 AM
GreekChat Member

You do realize starting a fraternity chapter is not an over night thing right? It takes a LOT of time, and even more hard work. Plus do you even know if the school is willing to let a fraternity come on campus, or if Pike is even interested?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson1990 View Post
I e mailed phi kappa alpha about starting a chapter at my school and I think they have contacted my school school cause a friend told me that there was some buzz about a new fraternity trying to join. Should i wait to call or just call the pikes back? Ive been waiting for almost two weeks and i dont want to wait much longer cause i wanna start getting stuff ready and do whatever it is i have to before schools starts

Last edited by Psi U MC Vito; 07-06-2010 at 01:45 AM.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
phi kappa alpha
By the way, I hope any correspondence said PI Kappa Alpha.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Or it's these guys!...

http://www.hope.edu/student/life/gre...n/history.html
Old 07-06-2010, 07:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Are you at Howard University?
Old 07-06-2010, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

What kind of "stuff" could you possibly have to do regarding this matter? The only thing you have to do is wait for a response. Many people who want to start new colonies make the mistake of thinking that its all about them. It's not. At all.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

During the beginning of my freshman year (I go to TCU) when I wasn't in a fraternity yet, I emailed Beta Theta Pi asking them about starting a colony. I chose them because my grandfather was a Beta way back in the day at DePauw. I was emailed back the next day saying they were already very interested in starting a colony at my school but at the time there was no room for expansion, but that they would email the Greek Life office anyway saying that students had expressed interest.

Kind of funny to think about now that I'm in a completely different fraternity and love the one I'm in. I think it would be a lot of tough work but very exciting and rewarding to be a part of starting a new colony.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah PSI U MC Vito im sure its going to take a lot of work im not an idiot. I didn't think of this overnight. I have friends back home in Tennessee That are all pikes and support me and are giving me advice. I don't know if my school is interested but i can still try and if they say no ill try again.
No i don't go to Howard I go to Lewis Clark St.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:58 PM
GreekChat Member

my bad about the "Phi"
Old 07-07-2010, 08:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yeah PSI U MC Vito im sure its going to take a lot of work im not an idiot. I didn't think of this overnight. I have friends back home in Tennessee That are all pikes and support me and are giving me advice. I don't know if my school is interested but i can still try and if they say no ill try again.
If they say no that's the end of the line. The buck stops with them. Calling and asking again and again and again will not (usually) change their decision. They won't just say oh well this guy is so annoying lets start a chapter just so he stops calling.

Also just because you are the one who inquired about the new chapter does not mean if they decide to colonize that you are guaranteed membership.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
That is exactly the wrong way to go about things. You need to make sure your school is cool with the idea of starting Greek Life before attempting to bring a fraternity on. Only then should you start looking at fraternities. And why Pi Kappa Alpha in particular? Just because you have friends who are Pikes?
Old 07-07-2010, 02:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
The point is, waiting two whole weeks is nothing. There is a lot of work that goes on behind the scenes, so inundating I/HQ with phone calls and e-mails won't help your cause.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I know u dont know me Nanners but im not going to keep annoying them and asking over and over again like a 5yr old wanting a butterfinger. If they say no and its a reason beyond my control then ill leave it be, but if its something i can change then ill try again is what i meant by it.

So Psi are you saying i should call the school then? Why Pikes idk all my friends are and i would of been one if i had not moved.

K thanks knight shadow i was thinking that but didnt know.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I know u dont know me Nanners but im not going to keep annoying them and asking over and over again like a 5yr old wanting a butterfinger. If they say no and its a reason beyond my control then ill leave it be, but if its something i can change then ill try again is what i meant by it.

So Psi are you saying i should call the school then? Why Pikes idk all my friends are and i would of been one if i had not moved.

K thanks knight shadow i was thinking that but didnt know.
Minor thing, but if you want to shorten my name, Psi U or Vito work fine. And yes you definitely need to talk to the school before you try to bring a fraternity on campus. They are the ones who ultimately decide if they will support your endeavor and give you access to school resources.

Also for an idea of perspective. This was my chapter so it's a very specific example that might not apply well to your case. But it took us four years to become a chapter after we started the process.

Last edited by Psi U MC Vito; 07-07-2010 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:44 PM
GreekChat Member

A couple of things to bear in mind -
- Pi Kappa Alpha and the University are both going to be more impressed with your endeavours if you have a motivation other than "idk all my friends are and i would of been one if i had not moved."

What is it about the Pikes that impressed your friends, and what would Pi Kappa Alpha bring to the campus which is not there yet? You need to be educated about what makes the Pikes unique, and make sure you are seeking to advance their ideals, not just wear their letters. The University will be looking to see how bringing Pike to campus would improve and enhance the fraternity scene and campus at large. You need to be prepared to "sell" yourself (and any others who may be joining you) and the Pikes to your University, and your group and University to Pi Kappa Alpha.