GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,333
2 members and 2,331 guests
Cookiez17, PKT4LIFE

Old 08-15-2014, 11:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Organizations after undergrad that are like fraternities in terms of brotherhood?

Hi there guys,

As you can tell by my name, I am not too happy being a GDI at my university. Right now I am heading into my final semester of college and due to some issues I could not rush a fraternity. You see, I took the community college route but ended up staying an extra semester at my community college. After transferring to my current university (a large SEC school), I had some minor problems adjusting in my first semester as a STEM student since I was on my own for the first time. Classes at my college were a lot harder too so I had some minor issues with time management which are now fortunately resolved. After my first semester, I consistently made the dean's list and will likely graduate college with a 3.7.

That said, I was also a son of immigrants and that led to me not even knowing the importance of Greek Life on American college campuses. It wasn't until I was in my second year of college that I saw the beauty of being in a fraternity. At first it was through movies and popular belief but then I researched it and asked around.

Unfortunately being that I am a 21 yr old who is almost done with college, I will never get to be in a traditional college fraternity no matter what I do. The one thing that made me see the beauty of fraternities was the fact that you have a close group of male friends you can bond with and make life long connections with. I could care less about hooking up with a cute sorority girl or partying like crazy, what I want is a close group of male friends I can hang out with and just be friends with really.

You see, when I was growing up, I was also homeschooled and though this helped me academically, it hurt me a lot socially. I know that I can just go out and chat with people and I have done that but for the first time in my life I really want to belong to something that is like a fraternity in the sense of a brotherhood.

Are there any things like this in grad school or life after college?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-16-2014, 01:05 AM

Don't try to join something in grad school (other than professional organizations). Concentrate on getting your masters.

Once you graduate, get a job and settle into a community, look into Masons, Jaycees, Kiwanis and other community groups. The joining processes for these vary greatly from group to group and place to place, so tread lightly. In some communities asking to join is taboo, some it is not.
Old 08-16-2014, 01:16 AM
GreekChat Member

could a grad student join a fraternity anyways? And please do not give me suggestions about what decision to take in that regard, I know what I am getting myself into.
Old 08-16-2014, 01:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfortunateGDI View Post
could a grad student join a fraternity anyways?
Do a Google search. Good luck.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
could a grad student join a fraternity anyways? And please do not give me suggestions about what decision to take in that regard, I know what I am getting myself into.
You're asking for info without advice.

Not exactly the best way to ask for help when you could just do your own research.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:39 AM
GreekChat Member

I think it is possible to do that, don't see why someone would tell me not to try and be in a fraternity as a grad student when I did not ask for that. Please tell people to read my post again, all I asked about was fraternal organizations after college not be my parents and tell me what I can or can't join.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:50 AM
GreekChat Member

We are better suited to give you information and advice since those who have posted in this thread are members of GLOs, so we know of what we speak.

Good luck on your search!
Old 08-16-2014, 10:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Do a Google search. Good luck.
Excellent answer. My best friends who joined frats after undergrad did that and more...
Old 08-16-2014, 10:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I think it is possible to do that, don't see why someone would tell me not to try and be in a fraternity as a grad student when I did not ask for that. Please tell people to read my post again, all I asked about was fraternal organizations after college not be my parents and tell me what I can or can't join.
Why are you arguing? And your tone is not coming across well. At all. You don't get the answer you like; however you get the answer that is accurate or correct, so then deal with it. Or move on. Or whatever. Coming back and asking the same question until you are told what you want to hear isn't how GC works. Or life, for that matter.

I get the immigrant bit, and the homeschooled bit. And I could give you legions of examples of people who have had one or both of those factors (or other factors) and have not tied their happiness and social abilities to a GLO in college. Happiness is an inside job. A fraternity isn't going to fix you. Only you can fix you.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 08-16-2014, 11:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I think 33girl meant that you shouldn't try to join an organization like Kiwanis or Masons during grad school, since you seem to have issues with time commitments and your demanding studies.

Quote:
OK, first of all. You have A HORRIFIC ATTITUDE. You need to calm down, and be respectful to people of whom YOU ASKED TO TAKE THEIR TIME AND ANSWER A QUESTION YOU COULD HAVE FIGURED OUT ON YOUR OWN. Do you know what it means to be grateful for people doing you a favor?

Second of all - advice and unsolicited information comes along with any answer to a question. Often in life, the most useful information is that additional bit that you didn't explicitly ask for. That's kind of how most conversations work on planet earth. You may have noticed.

No one here wants to be your parents. People are giving you all the same kind of response they would give anyone else who came on here and asked your kind of question. Calm down.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:20 PM

Actually, no, I meant he shouldn't join anything other than professional groups. Grad school is hard and while he thinks he's got the time management issue resolved, grad school may turn that on its head.

But I think this may all be moot as his social skills need work.

Ps to the OP: I know you just got on this site, but I'm one of the more open minded people on here as far as encouraging non-traditional rushees (i.e. people who aren't 18 year old freshmen). So think about what it takes me to get to the point where I just flat out say no.
Old 08-16-2014, 01:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Actually, no, I meant he shouldn't join anything other than professional groups. Grad school is hard and while he thinks he's got the time management issue resolved, grad school may turn that on its head.

But I think this may all be moot as his social skills need work.
Speaking as someone who was initiated through a graduate chapter (and in a close circle of friends who also did so), that is not necessarily true. I decided to take a semester off from school (not knowing if I would even be chosen). But my friend was in grad school, working and working towards being in his frat at the same time. It's about balance and making a way out of no way. He did fine in school and was initiated. My other friends also did so while having babies/children in the house. It all depends on the person and the org.

However...one has to research and diligent in finding out their own info. That's what I did!

Last edited by PersistentDST; 08-16-2014 at 02:36 PM.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:01 PM
Banned

Exactly, Soror.

These threads aren't about NPHC GLOs.

And what's up with GDIs coming to GC and demanding answers?!
Old 08-16-2014, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Exactly, Soror.

These threads aren't about NPHC GLOs.

And what's up with GDIs coming to GC and demanding answers?!
Yeah, I'm starting to see that. But I figured I would put my 2 cents in anyway. Just so people know it's certainly possible to achieve. I don't want others being discouraged! .

And gee...I wonder what GDI's did BEFORE we had internet? Because those methods would still apply in 2014.
Old 08-16-2014, 03:02 PM
GreekChat Member

So my social skills are the ones that need work? Okay lets rewind.

" Don't try to join something in grad school (other than professional organizations). Concentrate on getting your masters."

That is a command and not even something I asked for. I asked explicitly for fraternal like organizations in college and if they exist. No where did I explicitly say "hay guys should I join a fraternity in grad school?". If you cannot read then that isn't my problem, that is yours.

Quit worrying about my life and what grad school is going to be like, I made it through college with a good GPA and I know what I am getting myself into. If you cannot answer the question at hand then don't even respond to the thread. The question itself is: What organizations after college are like fraternities. The question is not: Should I join a fraternal organization after college?