GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Sigma > Sigma Alpha Iota
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,774
0 members and 1,774 guests
No Members online

Old 06-02-2004, 08:39 PM
Administrator

The GLO Directory is currently organized in such a way that the heading "Fraternities" represents Men's Groups and "Sororities" represents Women's Groups. Way back when the directory was being designed I expected that this may become an issue at some point since there are a number of Women's Groups that are titled as Fraternities.

We do want the directory to be correct, though, and plan on reorganizing the directory at some point in the future to more accurately depict all of the various groups listed on the site. I'm not sure exactly when this will be done, but in the meantime I have updated the SAI page in the directory to reflect that your group is a Fraternity. SAI is still listed under "Sororities" on the Sigma category page - that will be corrected when the directory is reorganized.
^^^ Help Support GC ^^^
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-02-2004, 09:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally posted by John
The GLO Directory is currently organized in such a way that the heading "Fraternities" represents Men's Groups and "Sororities" represents Women's Groups. Way back when the directory was being designed I expected that this may become an issue at some point since there are a number of Women's Groups that are titled as Fraternities.

We do want the directory to be correct, though, and plan on reorganizing the directory at some point in the future to more accurately depict all of the various groups listed on the site. I'm not sure exactly when this will be done, but in the meantime I have updated the SAI page in the directory to reflect that your group is a Fraternity. SAI is still listed under "Sororities" on the Sigma category page - that will be corrected when the directory is reorganized.
John, I looked at what you did. I believe the best way to do it is to keep the lists as they are under the Greek letter headings (SAI would remain under Sororities, so people could find them easily), but under the individual groups' page, list whether it is a:

Fraternity
Women's Fraternity
Sorority
Coed Fraternity
Coed Sorority
etc.

I really think that would be the least confusing.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
If he does that for you make sure you send him money via his paypal account . . . lol.

Quote:
Originally posted by preciousjeni
John, I looked at what you did. I believe the best way to do it is to keep the lists as they are under the Greek letter headings (SAI would remain under Sororities, so people could find them easily), but under the individual groups' page, list whether it is a:

Fraternity
Women's Fraternity
Sorority
Coed Fraternity
Coed Sorority
etc.

I really think that would be the least confusing.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by James
If he does that for you make sure you send him money via his paypal account . . . lol.
Hardeeharhar...I was trying to point out to him that SAI was listed as a "Fraternity" instead of a "Women's Fraternity" and suggest a way to make things very clear for GC visitors. Plus, I'm not an SAI and my sorority is not a women's fraternity, so it wouldn't help me anyway.

But, why don't you send money to MY paypal account for the privilege of talking to me?

Old 06-02-2004, 09:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sairose Send a message via Yahoo to sairose
THis is random...but even if it's not my sisters, it's really exciting to have some traffic around here!
Old 06-02-2004, 11:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
Wow! John came down from Mt. Olympus to post! Glad to see you, John!
Old 07-19-2004, 08:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RileyAnn_SAI
I didn't mean to be offensive in any way, but I really pride myself in being a member of a professional fraternity, especially since it focuses on music. The managers of the site should consider breaking the fraternities and sororities into more definate categories, because the majority of people searching for a specific Greek organization are most likely a member or a member-in-training of a fraternity or sorority, so there shouldn't be much (if any) confusion. If anything, it will clear up the existing confusion. And actually, I almost didn't join the forum because I thought it was a mistake, which would show a lack of professionalism. But I can see why they would categorize womens' fraternities as sororities, and even though I don't agree with it, I'm glad I joined, and the site is well done.
I belive that we spend way too much time putting people into categories when really we are more similar than different. I personally, LOVE being in a sorority. I actually don't know why more womens groups don't change from women's fraternity to sorority. But, if poeple call a womens fraternity a sorority, it's not meant to be offensive at all. Just distinguishing.

Last edited by Diamond Delta; 07-19-2004 at 08:22 PM.
Old 07-19-2004, 08:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Diamond Delta
I belive that we spend way too much time putting people into categories when really we are more similar than different. I personally, LOVE being in a sorority. I actually don't know why more womens groups don't change from women's fraternity to sorority. But, if poeple call a womens fraternity a sorority, it's not meant to be offensive at all. Just distinguishing.
Just to clarify, there is actually a reason we are called a fraternity and not a sorority. Originally, we were called a "musical sorority" but it was changed to fraternity because fraternity refers to men AND women. While we are not a coed organization, certain categories of honorary membership (Friend of the Arts, National Arts Associate) ARE open to men.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sairose
Just to clarify, there is actually a reason we are called a fraternity and not a sorority. Originally, we were called a "musical sorority" but it was changed to fraternity because fraternity refers to men AND women. While we are not a coed organization, certain categories of honorary membership (Friend of the Arts, National Arts Associate) ARE open to men.
OK, well that makes sense!Thanks!
Old 07-19-2004, 09:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by preciousjeni
Fraternity
Women's Fraternity
Sorority
Coed Fraternity
Coed Sorority
etc.
Is there such thing as a co-ed soroity??????

And if you're going to break down the categories, maybe he'll go more for:
Social Fraternity (Men)
Social Fraternity (Women)
Social Soroity
Professional Fraternity (Men)
Professional Fraternity (Women)
Professional Fraternity (Co-Ed)
Professional Soroity
(Sorry, I'm not going to even attempt to break down the BGLO & MCGLO's caz I don't know how you guys work and I'm not going to even pretend to...)

It would be more work...but I'm sure he could find a few (hundred) helpers here...
Old 07-19-2004, 09:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaFrog

And if you're going to break down the categories, maybe he'll go more for:
Social Fraternity (Men)
Social Fraternity (Women)
Social Soroity
Professional Fraternity (Men)
Professional Fraternity (Women)
Professional Fraternity (Co-Ed)
Professional Soroity
(Sorry, I'm not going to even attempt to break down the BGLO & MCGLO's caz I don't know how you guys work and I'm not going to even pretend to...)

It would be more work...but I'm sure he could find a few (hundred) helpers here...
Well, as has been gone over in great depth in another thread, Gamma Sigma Sigma Service Sorority is co-ed. Most non-selective membership organizations are co-ed that I've found. It takes A LOT of hassle to restrict membership to one gender!!

Old 07-19-2004, 10:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I have never heard of a guy being in Gamma Sigma Sigma! Interesting. I thought it was a service sorority just for ladies.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Diamond Delta
I have never heard of a guy being in Gamma Sigma Sigma! Interesting. I thought it was a service sorority just for ladies.
Let's just say there are definitely men around, but we probably want to steer clear of this topic so as not to avoid any misunderstandings or off subject discussions.

Old 07-20-2004, 12:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaFrog
Actually, yes! Tau Beta Sigma, while founded as an all-women's group, can be (and is actually pretty common to be) coed, and is titled as a Sorority.