GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 858
0 members and 858 guests
No Members online

Old 04-21-2012, 09:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
As she takes a half hour shower right now, I'm thinking about how much the water bill will go down...lol. My boy takes 5 minute showers, mine are about 10 minutes.. that girl is in the shower FOREVER.
Lol...same here! My daughter claims it's her long hair, but she also seems to do most of her choir practice in the shower. Great acoustics in there!

Sounds like hypo's going to take it right down to the May 1 deadline! Even after my daughter made her decision, she's still been saying things like, "I'm going to miss you", etc. I think the reality has sunk in that she'll be a long way from home. But, she also says she's really looking forward to it and she has no trepidation or second thoughts about her school choice. I actually think she's having a harder time dealing with the transition than I am (right now, anyway). The whole graduation season is hectic, too. She just told me this morning how stressed she is with everything that's going on...prom, AP tests, honor student dessert, senior banquet, blah, blah, blah. It all seems to accentuate the "leaving the nest" situation...lots of mixed emotions.

Where does hypo really want to go? If she wants Barnard and you can make it work, then I'd just try to help her feel good about that decision. Has she pulled out that pro and con list again, or is it just down to the financial aspects now?
Old 04-21-2012, 02:20 PM
GreekChat Member

She really wants Barnard. Fewer loans are her only reason for considering Michigan.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Where did she read the $15k thing Dee? That seems a little low to me. Mine are just a bit above that and I know from talking about this with friends that most of them are in the 25k-40k range and that's as out-of-state students at state schools, so I would imagine being at a private school, especially one of that academic prestige, the average student has higher debt.

I will admit it's been a long time since I've been looking into any of this stuff, and $90k is obviously a big chunk of change.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:58 PM
GreekChat Member

College confidential.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Choice is definitely a good thing. My senior has been accepted to 3 schools where we just have to pay R&B and fees thanks to my employee benefits. This makes his COA less expensive than our instate publics. A 4th school to which he was accepted but does not do TE with my school is trying to negotiate but they seem to think that their package of grants, loans and work-study is equivalent to an outright grant of the same value. So when they are only $3000 difference on the bottom line between schools 1,2 and 3 as compared to school 4, it's really 9k because they are including the Stafford.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Exactly, alum. It's easy to look at the school package and not keep in mind that there are loans in there also.

However, I was told today that we could go ahead and put the required deposit down to accept her admission to....

Barnard!
Old 04-23-2012, 09:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Congratulations!
Old 04-23-2012, 10:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations hypo and Barnard!

[Bummed about Michigan, obviously...but we'll get her somehow! ]
Old 04-23-2012, 10:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
There are a lot of details that I don't want to post on the Internet, but my income appears overinflated last year for several reasons and I believe that EFC will go down over the years, or I'll get a new job and it will remain similar but I'll actually be making more money than I am now. I also expect to be able to bear about half of the re-payment burden because I do want to help pay for college. I've tried pointing out all the little expenses that I will NOT have when she goes to college too ($40 in gas per pay period for her, $30 a pay period for school lunch, marching band fees, etc.) that will, instead, go toward paying these loans off. My grocery bills, utility bills, etc. will all go down when she's gone. As she takes a half hour shower right now, I'm thinking about how much the water bill will go down...lol. My boy takes 5 minute showers, mine are about 10 minutes.. that girl is in the shower FOREVER. I'll be doing half the laundry I do now because she changes clothes so many times a week and brings me her dirty laundry from her dad's house when she's been there. The girl doesn't realize how expensive she is to support right now! When the boy is away at school too, my living expenses will be almost nil. I might only have a TV for an hour a day, can tolerate much lower temperatures in the winter than they can, eat the least amount of food, etc.
My dad recently mentioned that when I went away to college he started inadvertently stockpiling TP because he didn't change the way he grocery shopped for certain items. One day he was like, why do I have so much TP???

This probably makes more sense in the context that it was just me and my dad, so my absence really affected the delicate TP balance.

Last edited by LAblondeGPhi; 04-23-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Wonderful! Time to celebrate!
Old 04-24-2012, 03:05 PM
GreekChat Member

After I had a chat with financial aid this afternoon, the offer has been accepted and the tuition deposit has been made. Long story, but my artificially inflated salary last year affected it significantly but we can expect the expected parent contribution to go down significantly. And, she confirmed that it will go down even more when my son starts college. Unless her dad gets a job or I get a huge raise, but if I get a huge raise, I'll be able to afford that contribution anyway.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations! I am sure you're relieved and she is very happy!
Old 04-24-2012, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I am very relieved! Now I have a graduation party to plan... oh my!
Old 04-24-2012, 05:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
After I had a chat with financial aid this afternoon, the offer has been accepted and the tuition deposit has been made. Long story, but my artificially inflated salary last year affected it significantly but we can expect the expected parent contribution to go down significantly. And, she confirmed that it will go down even more when my son starts college. Unless her dad gets a job or I get a huge raise, but if I get a huge raise, I'll be able to afford that contribution anyway.
Yeeeaaaa congrats to hypo! And you!

"My dreams have become letters." ~christiangirl
Old 04-24-2012, 06:14 PM
GreekChat Member

WOOWOO!!

Congratulations!!!