GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 2,228
0 members and 2,228 guests
No Members online

Old 11-09-2021, 08:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
Seriously? SERIOUSLY?

Where did this "idea" originate? Who is going to claim it or take credit for it? Step up and identify yourself(ves) please. And for those who are wondering, that's a rhetorical question and I know better than to expect an answer.

Calling out the elephant in the living room: it smacks of desperation at best. And a whole lot of (shall we just say) less than desirable at worst. Yikes. Just, yikes.

Frankly, navane nailed it for me and so did PGD-GRAD. And TriDeltaSallie (waving, long time no hear).Thank you for your diplomacy and tact. I'm all out of both those qualities and don't see a refill coming any time soon.

Let us hope this dies a very quiet death. Soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
^^^ What they said.
Quoting here (it's from last year) so you don't have to hunt for it. Well said.

ETA: Did any NPC group, holding their biennial convention in summer 2021, already take a vote and accept the option to colonize at community colleges in anticipation of a possible positive NPC decision to allow that type of colony?

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.

Last edited by Cheerio; 11-09-2021 at 11:31 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-09-2021, 09:24 AM

Yeah, I did not volunteer to join my sorority’s task force because my contribution would consist of two words totalling six letters.
Old 11-09-2021, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Yeah, I did not volunteer to join my sorority’s task force because my contribution would consist of two words totalling six letters.
LOL!
Old 11-09-2021, 04:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
"LOVE IT"?

Old 11-09-2021, 08:12 PM

No, those are not the words. 😝
Old 11-10-2021, 08:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
No, those are not the words. ��
"SO CUTE"?

-----
|.....|
|
|
|
|
----------

_ _ _ _ N O

Is there an 'F'?
Old 11-10-2021, 01:05 PM
GreekChat Member

HECK YA?

True and Constant
Old 11-10-2021, 02:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Go Blue?

Or Hail no?
Old 11-10-2021, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

Can I buy a vowel?
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 03-11-2022, 01:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

Did the NPC Task Force charged with looking into the possibility of allowing groups to establish chapters at Community Colleges set a time limit for their task?

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 03-12-2022, 08:56 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't believe so.
Old 04-10-2022, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I find this discussion interesting. At it's core:
1 - What does sisterhood mean and who should be allowed to participate
2 - Will the national NPC orgs continue to grow/exist if change does not occur
3 - Are we okay with sororities continuing to be mainly for a socioeconomically advantaged population
4 - Do we care about diversity

The vast majority of members of my sorority in the 1980s did not have to work while in college. I would venture to say it was less than 10% of our membership. I can only recall three people. Some girls worked summer camps - but very few had any sort of employment during the school year. This prevented access to sorority membership for a large portion of our school's student population. The cost of college has way outpaced income in my state. While enrollment at my college is about the same - sorority membership has decreased. More people are having to work to earn money for the same education. There are now 5 sororities instead of 6 and the chapter totals are lower.

Interestingly my college has not increased its enrollment in 30 years. But the state has really grown. My college competes for students with a couple of the Junior Colleges/Community Colleges mentioned previously by @swtxbelle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
- Blinn College in Brenham
- Kilgore College
- Tyler Junior College
- Navarro College
Old 04-14-2022, 10:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBayou View Post
I find this discussion interesting. At it's core:
1 - What does sisterhood mean and who should be allowed to participate
2 - Will the national NPC orgs continue to grow/exist if change does not occur
3 - Are we okay with sororities continuing to be mainly for a socioeconomically advantaged population
4 - Do we care about diversity
To your first point: It's not just about who should be allowed to participate as a sorority member. A college student has to earn the right to join, and then participate in, a sorority by performing and maintaining simple standards of education and conduct.

To answer your second point: The answer remains to be seen. Any changes that have been made/not made must be given time to take root, and results collected and examined. As the Magic 8 Ball might state, ask again later.

Your third point is your opinion. Each NPC sorority handles membership affordability in their own manner. Based upon my own sorority experience I cannot say as easily as you do that only socioeconomically advantaged women are able to start and maintain a lifelong sorority membership.

And as to your fourth point: Yes.The NPC, and her many millions of members, care about diversity/having a diverse membership. We as sorority women have, can, and are continuing to strengthen our lives, hearts and minds thru enhanced diversity discussions and practices.
Old 04-14-2022, 08:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
To your first point: It's not just about who should be allowed to participate as a sorority member. A college student has to earn the right to join, and then participate in, a sorority by performing and maintaining simple standards of education and conduct.
Honest question: are you serious?

How many members do you think we have join our organizations after a few surface-level conversations, followed by weeks of showering them with love and gifts? What did they "earn" in that regard? Why couldn't a community college student "earn" membership in the same way? Are you suggesting community college students can't maintain education and conduct standards?

Also, sorority membership isn't a "right," and if it was, you wouldn't need to earn it at all.

Quote:
And as to your fourth point: Yes.The NPC, and her many millions of members, care about diversity/having a diverse membership. We as sorority women have, can, and are continuing to strengthen our lives, hearts and minds thru enhanced diversity discussions and practices.
Another honest question: how many of those "diversity" discussions are about non-traditional students or people who aren't pursuing four-year degrees?

@~/~~~~
Old 04-14-2022, 09:19 PM
GreekChat Member

My $0.02.

"Diversity" in NPC organizations is purely racial.

I see no great effort to seek out those who are physically disabled in some way - deaf, blind, mobility-challenged, etc. Nor to seek out those from other religious cultures, unless they can be differentiated by skin color as well.