GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Zeta > Zeta Tau Alpha

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,422
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, indisigma00
» Online Users: 2,655
1 members and 2,654 guests
indisigma00

Old 04-11-2003, 09:53 AM

Unhappy What's Wrong?

OK, I here's the deal. This year alone I applied to be on exec, Rho Gamma (Chi), and Peer Mentor and was rejected all three times. What is wrong? I asked why I wasn't chosen and everytime they tell me that it wasn't me as a person and they had a lot of very qualified people applying. I mean obviously there is something wrong with me to be rejected 3 times in a row. Will I never be good enough for these people? I mean I am graduating in December so it's not like I wouldn't be here to do it. I have the time to do it and am very qualified.

BTW, a Peer Mentor leads a class of freshmen of about 15 - 20 and is like a counselor to these students.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-11-2003, 06:30 PM

How?

How do I improve my resume and activities when I try to participate all everyone does is tell me I can't do it? Our ZTA advisor truly believes I am an incompetant person with the inability to lead anyone. That's why I am not on exec. All our GA wants is GA-clones of herself, and I am not a GA-clone.

This is why I am not a Rho Gamma (Chi). We had to have 3 recommendations from: our GA, our chapter president, and a member of another sorority. I know our chap. president and the member of another sorority wrote good recommendations for me but when our GA doesn't want someone in a position she won't write a good recommendation or won't write one at all.

Other than the common answer of having very qualified applicants, I don't know why I didn't get the Peer Mentor job. The interview went well, and I had good recommendations. Other than that, I really have no idea.
Old 04-13-2003, 01:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to radioZTA Send a message via Yahoo to radioZTA
Sounds like you are having a rough time. I really sympathize!!! I did in college, too. I never held an Exec office and the only PC office I had was not very challenging. At the time I didn't see it but I shouldn't have had a leadership position then. My family was going through a lot, I wasn't dealing well with it and I would have only ended up letting the chapter down. I tried to turn in my badge but the president (bless her!) wouldn't take it.

Of course, then I didn't realize that I wasn't mature enough to handle everything. I really believed that the people on EC didn't like me. Looking back at the way I was then, I wouldn't have slated me for anything either. BUT despite my hurt feelings I showed up at everything, pasted a smile on my face and threw myself into helping with whatever the chapter was doing at that time. Only then did I find that I really enjoyed the chapter much more that way without all the hassles from the campus, I/O and advisors that Exec had to put up with.

Things really do work out though. In my alumnae chapter, I got involved slowly and one day, about 5 years out of college, I realized that I was ready for a leadership position whether they were ready for me or not. Since then I've been VP/Membership, VP/Programs & VP/Fundraising, plus a bunch of other PC jobs. I asked for president 3 times before I got it but I did get it. There were a couple of ladies who didn't think I would do a good job but I proved them wrong. More correctly, I proved myself right!

It sounds like the problem may not be you but may be a more of a timing thing. Just hold your head high, keep a smile on your face and do your best. Even if things don't work out the way you want, that is not necessarily a bad thing.

ZLAM,

LaRue
Old 04-14-2003, 08:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey!
Sorry that you didn't get the positions that you really wanted! My advice is like browneyedgirls...You should get as involved as you can. Have you held any other positions? It looks better if you have had past positions that could help you get bigger positions! what about running for something on PC? Or how about just helping whoever has the position that you want now and try to get it later. what about starting with volunteer work. It looks great if you take the time to help pelple that you aren't even required to help. It shows that you are a true caring person and will WORK for what you want!

Don't give up! everyone gets frusterated and nobody ALWAYS gets what they want! Good luck and I wish you the best!
ZLAM!
Old 04-15-2003, 01:21 PM

I have held 2 positions on PC. I won't be able to run again for Exec ever again because I am graduating December 20th, 2003 so that's over for me.

I have volunteered within ZTA and outside of ZTA. I am involved in other organizations and held leadership positions in those organizations.

In high school, I was a leader. I was involved in tons of things in high school.

So, with all of my leadership positions I don't understand why (other than the GA) I didn't get on Exec in the organization that I value the most.
Old 04-20-2003, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Well as a stranger to ZTA and also you I can only offer some general comments.

Browneyedgirl is correct when she says the advisor issue is both seperate and large. I have certainly run across bad or limited advisors lol. That is something you can do little about , especially now that the Officer sequence has begun and you will be unable to run again. So if you ran up against an advisor with an agenda, I am truly sorry.

As far as slates go. That is also something you should be careful not to take to heart. Your advisor aside, sometimes you just end up in a year where most of the people applying are as spectacular as yourself or just better known. That would have little to do with your competence personally.

However, I am aware, as all of us who haven't gotten an Office we wanted and thought we deserved should be, that the dissapointment and pain are felt keenly and only time will take away the sting.

Good luck in everything else.

Quote:
Originally posted by scpiano211
I have held 2 positions on PC. I won't be able to run again for Exec ever again because I am graduating December 20th, 2003 so that's over for me.

I have volunteered within ZTA and outside of ZTA. I am involved in other organizations and held leadership positions in those organizations.

In high school, I was a leader. I was involved in tons of things in high school.

So, with all of my leadership positions I don't understand why (other than the GA) I didn't get on Exec in the organization that I value the most.