GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Community Service / Philanthropy

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,165
1 members and 1,164 guests
No Members online

Old 05-27-2015, 09:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Philanthropy Recommendations

Hey,

Is it possible for me to recommend ideas/causes that sororities can partner with? For example, I know that Zeta Pi Omega does philanthropy aimed at women and children. If I found charities that they can work with and help, would it be appropriate for me to recommend that the sorority partner with these charities? If not, what are alternatives?

Thanks
Old 05-27-2015, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator

Of course, you can suggest valid philanthropies. Please realize, though, that most GLOs have a (inter)national philanthropy which they each support.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizey7 View Post
Hey,

Is it possible for me to recommend ideas/causes that sororities can partner with? For example, I know that Zeta Pi Omega does philanthropy aimed at women and children. If I found charities that they can work with and help, would it be appropriate for me to recommend that the sorority partner with these charities? If not, what are alternatives?

Thanks
Not sure what you mean.... are you trying to get other sororities to support charitable causes that you suggest to them? or are you trying to get your OWN sorority to support causes other than the current philanthropy?
Old 05-28-2015, 12:26 AM
GreekChat Member

You aren't yet in a sorority so perhaps you could hold your ideas until that time comes.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 05-28-2015, 04:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Response

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
Not sure what you mean.... are you trying to get other sororities to support charitable causes that you suggest to them? or are you trying to get your OWN sorority to support causes other than the current philanthropy?
I am trying to get other sororities to support other charitable causes which I will suggest to them (during the interview process when they ask why I want to join, I will say something along the lines of "I see a lot of potential for this sorority to become national, and I have some great ideas that can perhaps help you reach that goal)
Old 05-28-2015, 04:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Response

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
You aren't yet in a sorority so perhaps you could hold your ideas until that time comes.
I was planning on mentioning the ideas during the interview process
Old 05-28-2015, 05:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I am trying to get other sororities to support other charitable causes which I will suggest to them (during the interview process when they ask why I want to join, I will say something along the lines of "I see a lot of potential for this sorority to become national, and I have some great ideas that can perhaps help you reach that goal)
Were the sororities founded with the intent of going national? If they weren't, this would be pretty offensive to say to a sister who joined a local wanting to stay local.
Old 05-28-2015, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Response

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
Were the sororities founded with the intent of going national? If they weren't, this would be pretty offensive to say to a sister who joined a local wanting to stay local.
Their goal is to go national
Old 05-28-2015, 06:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Whether or not they want to go national, which I'm not sure how you are privy to that information if you are not a member or in the Greek community, coming in and telling them what they are doing wrong and how you are going to fix them is offensive also.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:21 PM
GreekChat Member

I still wouldn't make suggestions like this until you have joined in some capacity. Even though it might be coming from a right place, it can come off as "you are doing poorly, I know how to do it right"- not the message to send before you have joined.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Not your circus, not your monkeys.

Keep your well intentioned advice to yourself.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Response

Quote:
Originally Posted by als463 View Post
Whether or not they want to go national, which I'm not sure how you are privy to that information if you are not a member or in the Greek community, coming in and telling them what they are doing wrong and how you are going to fix them is offensive also.
I know they want to go national because I tried rushing last year and didn't get in, so I am rushing again next term. I would kind of approach the situation like this:

Interviewer: Why do you want to join Zeta Pi Omega?

Me: Well, I know you guys want to go national, and I have some great ideas that will help you get recognized by the NPC, which can possibly start a colony and eventually a chapter.

Interviewer: Really, like what?

Me: Well, I know you guys focus a lot of your philanthropy on women and children, and I think I have some ideas within that category that you can add to that such as X, Y, and Z
Old 05-28-2015, 08:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I completely appreciate your intentions, and I think that philanthropy is absolutely ESSENTIAL to our organisations, but you aren't a member of an NPC organisation- you don't know what they are looking for. Honestly, if you join an organisation, yes, share your ideas! It is never a bad thing to contribute to the community more. However, wait until you are a member to start making suggestions, and recognize that you don't know what an NPC organisation is looking for when they are considering a colonisation.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I was planning on phrasing this as a leadership opportunity, as I know that leadership is a huge aspect of joining a sorority as well. Since I have stated in other forums on this site that my sorority is local, do you think these strategies could help me get a bid when I rush?
Old 05-28-2015, 10:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Like Clemsongirl said in one of your threads (can't remember which), talk about the philanthropic work you have done! "Potential" work doesn't show that you have done anything, focus on what you have done. No matter if the sorority is local, national, or international, do not make suggestions like that when you are a PNM- you are overstepping boundaries. A good way would be to let them know that you would excited to take part in any philanthropy projects that might come your way! I would also only address the local vs. going national thing if they bring it up themselves.