GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,068
3 members and 1,065 guests
chi-o_cat, Cookiez17, indygphib

Old 02-04-2002, 11:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Examples of Spineless Boss...

For over a year and a half, boss tells me that I will be project leader of this new project because I am the one with almost all the experience..until today's meeting when he says that he has asked@#$@#$ to be the project leader who has practically zilch!!! Twerp didn't even have the courtesy to explain before or after the meeting why he did it. He has the right to make changes, but hey, after 1 1/2 years of telling me something different, he should have at least explained!! My level of respect for him is now what is always has been....

Sorry, I don't feel in the mood to be very gung-ho...He says that our group doesn't have teamwork..well...I wonder why!! Leading by example??
Old 02-04-2002, 11:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to amycat412
RoseAlum,

Ask him if you can have 5 minutes of his time to talk to him. Then, very calmly and professionally ask him why you were not considered for project manager. Cite your accomplishments, give him examples of how you're ready for the challenge, and then see what he says.

You'll be able to tell whether his response is bullshit or not.

I had a similar situation happen to me a few years ago, and it turned out my boss had something better in mind for me--and it was a much better gig for my talents and temperment than the one I had wanted and gotten passed up on.

Good luck!
Amy
Old 02-05-2002, 01:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with amycat- you should have a chat.

You might also be up against someone who is schmoozing a boss who likes to be schmoozed. In either case, you will know if it's a temporary situation or if you have a "brown nose" you're competing with.
Old 02-05-2002, 05:46 PM
GreekChat Member

You might also be up against someone who is schmoozing a boss who likes to be schmoozed.

Mom..that's it!! Going to talk to him would only make matters worse..he would see it more of me complaining, not being a teamworker, and questioning his authority. If he was going to mention it , he had already had a perfect opporturnity before the meeting when I was in his office talking about something else.

I'll work on the project as assigned but I definitely won't be enthusiatic, but will try to be civil.
Old 02-05-2002, 10:12 PM

You may be able to find a way to broach the subject with your boss without sounding like you're complaining or being confrontational... perhaps by expressing your interest in moving up in general, rather than saying "Why didn't I get this particular position?"

If that doesn't work, it might be time to investigate other opportunities within your company... a lateral move to some other team with a boss who's more amenable to giving you greater responsibility.