GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,873
0 members and 1,873 guests
No Members online

Old 03-03-2010, 11:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink Texas Tech Recruitment

Hello. I'm sorry to be one of those girls who posts a university specific thread but I only have a few questions.

I am coming from out of state to TTU. I only know 2 alumna personally, but I am still trying to make connections. I am also planning on registering with local Alumna Panhellenic. I know that isn't the best way to get recs, but Its definiently my last option. I have a 3.0, and some voulunteer hours. I know that GPA isn't high enough for some houses, but I'm definently going through recruitment with an open mind. I'm going to TECH for School, not for LETTERS. I'm nervous because I am coming from out of state, but I'm giving 100% effort to my preparation for recruitment.

My questions are, Does anyone live in the lodges or are the just for business? And finally, how many girls have gone through formal recruitment on average the last few years?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by full*hearts; 03-04-2010 at 11:07 AM. Reason: discresion
Old 03-04-2010, 09:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
By all means register with the Phoenix Panhellenic .. I know that they are active in helping PNMs secure appropriate letters of recommendation.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OHNOITSJESS
Quote:
Originally Posted by full*hearts View Post

My questions are, Does anyone live in the lodges or are the just for business? And finally, how many girls have gone through formal recruitment on average the last few years?

Thanks for your help!
I don't understand what you mean by are they just for business. Only a few members live in the lodges and usually those few are officers. Lodges ate mainly for hosting chapter, other meetings and sometimes parties.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHNOITSJESS View Post
Lodges are mainly for hosting chapter, other meetings and sometimes parties.
That's business. (except the party part)
Old 03-04-2010, 02:33 PM
GreekChat Member

thank you ladies! My only frame of reference to sorority life is my local state universities. One has house and one has dorms for its members And i dont know what the third has, so i was confused as to what a lodge was. But now i know its mostly used for business with exception of a few live in. (who i assume are officers.) thank to those of u who pm-ed me too!
Old 03-05-2010, 08:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OHNOITSJESS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
That's business. (except the party part)
oh! I get it, for some reason I thought the OP meant like setting up an XYZ store. wow. I feel slow
Old 03-05-2010, 02:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to gpb1874
I don't know how many girls go through Tech's recruitment, but I do know that it is quite competitive. You need to register with your local Alumnae Panhellenic and put in the time to meet with the reps or do whatever to get a rec. Be sure to check out their website to make sure you get everything done on time and are fully prepared.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:10 AM
GreekChat Member

I went through tech's recruitment in fall of 2009. There were over 800 girls total, but don't let that freak you out. The majority of the houses have very large pledge classes and most girls that I know found a place in a house that they truly love and belong in. I do not know of any girls that actually live in the lodges, the lodges are all used for chapter meetings and other small events (generally speaking, of course I can't speak for everyone.) It sounds like you have a good starting point for recruitment this fall. I recommend spending time between now and then securing recs for as many of the houses as possible. Remember, all the chapters we have are national organizations and there certainly are some alumnae in your area from each of the organizations, even if they didn't attend texas tech they are sure to be able to help at least a little.

I also have some advice from my personal experience in recruitment: keep an open mind. I went in to recruitment thinking that I knew who would like me, who I would like, and where I would end up. Despite spending a lot of time on these forums before hand, I still felt that way. But let me tell you, it ended up turning out almost the exact opposite of what I thought was going to happen, and I am so glad it did! Be positive despite any prior knowledge you may have about the chapter, and give EVERYONE a chance.
Good luck!
Old 03-14-2010, 07:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Great post, lovedbyloving, and so true. Every chapter at Tech is great. I think generally speaking all of the chapters pledge quota-plus or come very close to it every year. It is a campus known for it's friendly, welcoming atmosphere. A lot of the students come from very small West Texas towns so for such a large university it has a small town feel. Everyone I know who went to Tech, loved the experience.
That being said, it is Texas so you do need recs.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the lovely posts!
I am 100% keeping an open mind. In my original post I stated that I only have a 3.0 And I know that might not be good enough for some groups, so I am hoping that there are some who are willing to give me a chance. I have very little knowlege of greek life, none of my family is greek, and I am coming from out of state. So I'm going through for the experience. If I happen to meet and get a bid to a group who thinks I would be a good asset to their houes, that would just make my experience at Tech sweeter! Thanks again ladies!

Last edited by full*hearts; 03-14-2010 at 11:48 PM. Reason: spelling