GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,445
3 members and 1,442 guests
FSUZeta, Kevin, PGD-GRAD

Old 11-30-2009, 12:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Forgive me for shooting off my mouth, but this sounds like the cart before the horse. Wouldn't it make more sense to tailor what you do to the number of members instead of the other way around? As far as a sisterhood or rush retreat, for example, can't you find a smaller/cheaper venue or do it at the house? Don't get caught in the trap of "this is what we've always done so we have to keep doing it even if it bankrupts us."

Not only that, as the largest chapter, you need to be Panhellenic and think about what the other groups are going through - you said you even feel the constant pressure. How about trying to get the groups to all work together with venues and such - you might get a discount that way.

If you have a house to maintain that is appreciably larger than the other groups' houses, and this is hurting you, get a smaller house. Again, don't let tradition cripple you financially.
Co-sign. Additionally, should your chapter have one bad semester of recruitment and the other groups surge ahead, you'll be in their position now. Not only do you end up with fewer members, but you have to recruit year round, which is expensive in and of itself.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-04-2009, 10:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
Co-sign. Additionally, should your chapter have one bad semester of recruitment and the other groups surge ahead, you'll be in their position now. Not only do you end up with fewer members, but you have to recruit year round, which is expensive in and of itself.
Oh, I agree, and trust me, we seniors (and our juniors to some extent) definitely remember when our chapter had a couple "low years" (numbers-wise--we still got great girls, just not enough to fill total). I'm still very pro lowering total, but apparently, I'm the only one on our exec board with that opinion.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psy View Post
Oh, I agree, and trust me, we seniors (and our juniors to some extent) definitely remember when our chapter had a couple "low years" (numbers-wise--we still got great girls, just not enough to fill total). I'm still very pro lowering total, but apparently, I'm the only one on our exec board with that opinion.
I'm high on sudafed and mucinex, so please excuse me if you've already done this, but I suggest discussing it with your area NPC advisor as she is not only knowledgeable but can present information that may support your position. Of course she may have information that doesn't support lowering total, but an expert from I/HQ never hurts when it comes to a policy affecting numbers.