GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,313
1 members and 1,312 guests
JayhawkAOII

Old 07-09-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitemom View Post
Ok I know about Baylor. It's pretty well know that you have jr hours but on really a soph because of your graduation date. They send out an email in the Fall if you have Soph hours but are living in a Freshamn dorm let them know. The older you are the more that grade count. They what people that can help the Chapters GPA. PM for more info.
So you're saying that chapters at a school that has used a using a junior quota actually WANT to take alot of sophs and juniors because it helps the GPA? Hmm.

Lakers Nation.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Grades count lots for Soph/Jr even the GPA requirement are higher to go through rush. I know of a sorority who took a soph grade risk. You have to have a 2.5 to go through rush as a freshman and 2.75 to be in most soroities. It jumps up to a 3.0 as to be consider in most chapters as a soph or a Jr. But you only have to have a 2.75 to go through rush. Rush really takes mostly Freshmen but Jr don't count against quota at least this year. Most chapter only take 2 true soph hours people. Soph count double for quota. Rush is in Jan so it usually isn't difficult to have Jr hours if you came in the credit and then went to summer school after your freshman year. Grades at Baylor are a very big deal. So someon who comes in with Dean's list and A's as a jr is more desirable than a soph with a 3.0.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitemom View Post
Soph count double for quota.

Ok, so Baylor may not be big on taking sophs, but I have to tell you that I have NEVER heard of ONE sophomore counting as 2 PEOPLE in quota.

That can't be true. Please clarify if I'm reading this wrong.

Lakers Nation.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Ok, so Baylor may not be big on taking sophs, but I have to tell you that I have NEVER heard of ONE sophomore counting as 2 PEOPLE in quota.

That can't be true. Please clarify if I'm reading this wrong.
that's what I read too... that doesn't make any sense.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

It's like Tom Earp had a sex change, and the lack of testosterone caused him to stop using smileys. The extra estrogen made him type long paragraphs consisting of fragments and run-on sentences instead of several lines of text.

Seriously lady, are you on speed or just typing from an iPhone?
Old 07-09-2009, 10:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I think what she is trying to say is that these days, kids commonly come in with AP credits. If you go to summer school after your freshman year, then you very well may have credits that qualify you as a junior when you are really a sophomore. Perhaps she means that it doesn't necessarily make you a junior for rush, given that this is a common trend.

In my state, a majority of kids go into college with a number of AP classes under their belt. By the middle of their college careers they are far ahead of the game.

As far as sophs counting twice during recruitment, I am not sure what she means and I think it might be difficult for you all to decipher what she is trying to say in her explanation, as it is written.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Junior Status

Juniors are counted separately from the freshmen and sophomores for Panhellenic recruitment which means that juniors have a separate quota from the freshmen and sophomores. While most of the sororities take juniors, they are not required to take juniors.According to the university, anyone that has completed 60 hours is considered a junior. This same policy applies to Panhellenic Recruitment. Any woman that has completed 60 hours by the time formal recruitment starts in January will be considered a junior. This includes Baylor hours, transfer hours, and advance placement hours. If you transfer in hours to the university, those hours will be reflected on the grade report that is received for recruitment eligibility at the end of the fall semester. Juniors also have to meet the same grade requirements of a 2.75 cumulative GPA required by the sororities.

http://www.baylor.edu/student_activities/greek_life/index.php?id=37837

What I read from this is that as long as I have over 60 hours, I will be considered a Junior during rush--regardless of whether or not it is the norm for second-year students. Is this correct?
-GKC
Old 07-09-2009, 11:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, I agree. It looks like you have your answer. You will be considered a junior, regardless of whether the credits were from AP, transfer hours, etc.

Good luck!
Old 07-09-2009, 11:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you for the luck...hopefully all will go well!
-GKC
Old 07-09-2009, 11:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabella View Post
It's like Tom Earp had a sex change, and the lack of testosterone caused him to stop using smileys. The extra estrogen made him type long paragraphs consisting of fragments and run-on sentences instead of several lines of text.

Seriously lady, are you on speed or just typing from an iPhone?
Actually, I just happen to read another thread started by Kitemom and I am going to assume she is not a native English speaker. If that is the case, she is doing quite well.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:26 AM
GreekChat Member

That would explain much. Apologies if that's the case.