GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465

Old 09-05-2007, 09:02 PM
GreekChat Member

dirty rushing

We are a small campus (only three IFC fraternities) with many of the fraternities occupying blocks of the apartments on campus. We have no houses, so all partying that is not "official" occurs in these apts where more people can fit.
These parties are a great way to meet and get to know the frosh guys and to meet girls, but every time we get a party good and fired up with lots of people, one of the other fraternities calls security and complains just because their party is empty. Any ideas without stooping their level?
The fraternity also hotboxes and does other dirty rush tactics like barring brothers wearing other letters from getting into their parties. These do not bother me nearly as much as the security calls since that can get people in trouble and not just pissed off.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-05-2007, 09:45 PM
GreekChat Member

I thought recruiting with alcohol and parties was dirty rushing. why not try dry rushing. I always hate the guys who come out to rush just to party. I've seen so many chapters that recruit with alcohol get what seems like a big sized rush class, but it mainly consists of Frosh's looking for free beer and parties and end up not pledging. you have all year to have parties and have fun, but you only have a week to find potential quality brothers. unless you have year round recruitment....

Did you know if you watch jaws backwards, its a movie about a shark that throws up so many people that they have to build a beach?
Old 09-06-2007, 12:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KappaSigManJA View Post
We are a small campus (only three IFC fraternities) with many of the fraternities occupying blocks of the apartments on campus. We have no houses, so all partying that is not "official" occurs in these apts where more people can fit.
These parties are a great way to meet and get to know the frosh guys and to meet girls, but every time we get a party good and fired up with lots of people, one of the other fraternities calls security and complains just because their party is empty. Any ideas without stooping their level?
The fraternity also hotboxes and does other dirty rush tactics like barring brothers wearing other letters from getting into their parties. These do not bother me nearly as much as the security calls since that can get people in trouble and not just pissed off.
If you are not doing anything illegal at the parties, then what is the problem? Security will come, tell you to quiet it down a little, an leave.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 09-06-2007, 01:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Thats still pretty messed up. Someone is calling the police on you for the express purpose of getting you into trouble and screwing up your plans.

There is something really wrong with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladygreek View Post
If you are not doing anything illegal at the parties, then what is the problem? Security will come, tell you to quiet it down a little, an leave.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlethiaSi
Dirty rushing with sororities is sometimes sooo much worse, and unfortunately... sometimes there isn't anything you can do about it. depending on how your fraternity operates... do you really want to stoop to their level?
I know it's hard and you want to "get them back" but ultimately, it's still messed and frankly they sound like whiny b*tches anyway
Old 09-06-2007, 11:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Is there no other place you could have parties?

Can you rent a local bar, or even a room in the Union for a dry rush event?
Old 09-08-2007, 06:50 PM
GreekChat Member

what school is this at? it sounds a lot like my friends school in memphis.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Why don´t you invite the other fraternities to join your party? In Germany that´s not a problem. Okay, sometimes members of other fraternities are not allowed to wear their colours on the party of another fraternity, but a party is in most cases no recruitment tool.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:02 AM
GreekChat Member

We had a lot of problems with Fraternities snitching and ratting each other out over stupid things in the past and all it did was create BITTER and ANGRY rivalries. Starting last year we ALL buried that hatchet and I can easily get into any of the 9 other Fraternity house parties on campus....and their members are welcome to our chapter house functions (barring brotherhood events) as well. The best thing to do is to have a meeting together and call a truce. Figure out what the beef is about. If it's just about parties and not about recruitment then you can easily come to an agreement about mutual rights to get into each others' parties....that should stop the snitching. If their party is cracking you get to go, if yours is cooler they get to show up. Problem solved.
San Jose State University
Zeta Iota Chapter
Old 09-09-2007, 12:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufio View Post
I thought recruiting with alcohol and parties was dirty rushing. why not try dry rushing. I always hate the guys who come out to rush just to party. I've seen so many chapters that recruit with alcohol get what seems like a big sized rush class, but it mainly consists of Frosh's looking for free beer and parties and end up not pledging. you have all year to have parties and have fun, but you only have a week to find potential quality brothers. unless you have year round recruitment....
We have 1 week of formal rush, but it is 5 or six weeks into school. Rushing before that is informal and gives us a good chance to meet and get to know the guys better than a one week facade. We have dry rush events, but this was thread targeted directly at the party issue though. We have no real problem with other fraternities coming to our parties, as long as it does not cause anyone else any grief.
On the issue however, security has been pretty laid back about parties this year which kinda alleviates the issue. They still however have not figured out that water evaporates and a water balloon swap with a sorority is not gonna tear the school down.