GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,257
1 members and 1,256 guests
navane

Old 12-10-2005, 01:59 PM
GreekChat Member

deleted

Last edited by KaiKey; 03-18-2007 at 09:38 PM.
Old 12-10-2005, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator

Wow. So I guess southern = racist?

KA certainly does identify with being southern, but to draw the tangent of racism is idiotic. Either ophiaren3 is trying to stir up trouble or he/she is a moron. No other possibilities come to mind.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 12-10-2005, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

An apology from someone who's obviously a hater him/herself might not be worth the cyberspace it's taken. KA has proved itself time and time again, and need not prove it to this... person.
Old 12-10-2005, 02:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: ~ an apology to all of kappa alpha order from "ophiaren3" is definitely in order

Quote:
Originally posted by KaiKey
i am sorry, while she may have been new to this board, her recent "post" on the ~kappa alpha order~ board is even worse than her posts about her beloved omega phi alpha. please, someone help this woman. where does this total ignorance come from? i always keep a low profile on ths board, but this is truly one of the all time offensive and politically incorrect posts i have ever seen on gc. granted i would take offense to this post as my dad and my uncle are proud members of ka and they were easily the top chapter at my school, nothing at all like she so horribly protrays them in this post. she has single handedly managed to offend an entire fraternity and those who hold it in high esteem, as well as the entire greek community, with one single post

"ophiaren3" recently posted this on the ~kappa alpha order~ board:

OPhiARen3

Need Some Help ...
Hello KA

I am working on a group project for a sociology class involving hate groups, and part of our research showed that one of their newer recruiting methods involves targetting fraternities. Some of the leaders have said that the demographics of fraternities, particularly KA, are perfect for their cause, because they are young, white, rich men that will be able to promote the ideals of white supremacy well because they are educated.

For our presentation, we wanted to get some personal feedback from KA members about how they felt about this, or if anyone had had any experience with hate organizations messing with their frat. If anyone could help me out, I'd really appreciate it ...

(I'm not trying to bash KA or anything - KA guys have always been nice to me! - I just think this is a really disturbing trend and was wondering what you all, who are more directly affected by it, think.)

Thanks!

Yay for Christmas!

~kaikey~,
please make that a ~highly offended kaikey~!!!
Can you read?

She is saying that the leaders of the hate groups are portraying Kappa Alpha in that way. She is asking KA members how they feel about the portrayal. I have read nowhere in her post that SHE feels anything but positively about the organization.

Last edited by Senusret I; 12-10-2005 at 02:42 PM.
Old 12-10-2005, 02:40 PM
Banned

Re: Re: ~ an apology to all of kappa alpha order from "ophiaren3" is definitely in order

Quote:
Originally posted by Senusret I
Can you read?

She is saying that the leaders of the hate groups are portraying Kappa Alpha in that way. She is asking KA members how they feel about the protrayal. I have read nowhere in her post that SHE feels anything but positively about the organization.
Obviously not.

-Rudey
Old 12-10-2005, 02:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ktsnake
Wow. So I guess southern = racist?

KA certainly does identify with being southern, but to draw the tangent of racism is idiotic. Either ophiaren3 is trying to stir up trouble or he/she is a moron. No other possibilities come to mind.
I was not trying to "stir up trouble", nor am I stupid. I was trying to get some feedback for my sociology assignment last month. The categorization of KA in my post did not come from me, but from the article that I mentioned in the post - a representative from the National Alliance (one of the largest hate groups in the U.S.) has stated that fraternities are one of their targets. You all may remember I posted more generally about this in the Greek Life forum as well; I posted specifically in the KA forum because they were specifically mentioned in the article, but did not see any need to bring their name up in the main forum.

If anyone would like to read the article themselves, it is from the Journal of Blacks in Higher Education, Vol. 31, Spring 2001, titled "National Alliance Targets White Fraternities".

What I wanted to know from the KA forum was whether or not anyone had heard of any chapters actually being contacted by the NA, or if they had heard anything about this kind of activity at all, and whether they thought it was a real issue. I don't see how that is offensive.

As for thinking that "Southern = racist", I am Southern, and I hope that I'm not racist ...
Old 12-10-2005, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

My apologies for the misinterpretation.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 12-10-2005, 03:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
Quote:
Originally posted by OPhiARen3
I was not trying to "stir up trouble", nor am I stupid. I was trying to get some feedback for my sociology assignment last month. The categorization of KA in my post did not come from me, but from the article that I mentioned in the post - a representative from the National Alliance (one of the largest hate groups in the U.S.) has stated that fraternities are one of their targets. You all may remember I posted more generally about this in the Greek Life forum as well; I posted specifically in the KA forum because they were specifically mentioned in the article, but did not see any need to bring their name up in the main forum.

If anyone would like to read the article themselves, it is from the Journal of Blacks in Higher Education, Vol. 31, Spring 2001, titled "National Alliance Targets White Fraternities".

What I wanted to know from the KA forum was whether or not anyone had heard of any chapters actually being contacted by the NA, or if they had heard anything about this kind of activity at all, and whether they thought it was a real issue. I don't see how that is offensive.

As for thinking that "Southern = racist", I am Southern, and I hope that I'm not racist ...
If you want to get an official quote from KA for an assignment, I suggest that you contact their HQ. They might be able to help you more than someone on greekchat.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:55 PM
Unregistered-

Re: ~ an apology to all of kappa alpha order from "ophiaren3" is definitely in order

Quote:
Originally posted by KaiKey
~kappa alpha order~

~kappa alpha order~ board:

OPhiARen3

~kaikey~,
please make that a ~highly offended kaikey~!!!
Your raping of the ~tilde~ is quite disturbing.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peaches-n-Cream
If you want to get an official quote from KA for an assignment, I suggest that you contact their HQ. They might be able to help you more than someone on greekchat.
It's a sociology class though.... it seems to me that she wanted to get a wide variety of responses, not just one official one.

When I took sociology courses, specifically an anthropology course about the representations of black men, I used a combination of methods, including surveys, talking to my director of multicultural affairs, and reading through archived articles in my campus newspaper.

Plus, the assignment was last month.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: ~ an apology to all of kappa alpha order from "ophiaren3" is definitely in or

Quote:
Originally posted by OTW
Your raping of the ~tilde~ is quite disturbing.
LOL..... not tilde raping.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Regardless of the meanings and whatever else, it could have been PM'd instead of posted publicly in their forum or wherever it was posted. Not so great to have something out there like that for PNMs to see, even though it was in a journal and I'm really surprised they would print KA Order's name in there. Couldn't that be considered slanderous/libel/defamation/whatever?

KLTC
Old 12-10-2005, 04:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PM_Mama00
Regardless of the meanings and whatever else, it could have been PM'd instead of posted publicly in their forum or wherever it was posted. Not so great to have something out there like that for PNMs to see, even though it was in a journal and I'm really surprised they would print KA Order's name in there. Couldn't that be considered slanderous/libel/defamation/whatever?
The post being discussed was one of the very first that I posted on GC; I probably should have PM'd it, but at the time I wasn't familiar with that or those kinds of etiquette details. I'm really sorry that this has caused offense; it wasn't meant to.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Senusret I
It's a sociology class though.... it seems to me that she wanted to get a wide variety of responses, not just one official one.

When I took sociology courses, specifically an anthropology course about the representations of black men, I used a combination of methods, including surveys, talking to my director of multicultural affairs, and reading through archived articles in my campus newspaper.

Plus, the assignment was last month.
Hi Rashid!

I don't think that she will get a wide variety of responses (or any response, for that matter, but I might be wrong) on such a controversial subject. I figured it's better to get an official, quotable response from an officer or representative of KA than a random post from an unknown brother or alumnus on GC.

I used similar methods of research for my political science and sociology classes as you outlined. I don't think that a message board is a credible research tool or source of information, but Alexander Robbins does so maybe I'm wrong.

Plus, since the assignment was last month, I guess it doesn't really matter, lol.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OPhiARen3
The post being discussed was one of the very first that I posted on GC; I probably should have PM'd it, but at the time I wasn't familiar with that or those kinds of etiquette details. I'm really sorry that this has caused offense; it wasn't meant to.
If you want to delete that post, you can go to the post, push edit, check the delete box, and click delete now.