GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,026
2 members and 1,024 guests
AOIIalum, zsamulpitt5293

Old 08-16-2000, 08:31 PM
Angelina

Post All UCLA ppl.....

hello!

i will be a freshman this year. i want to rush....which are the "best" In YOUR opinion, sororities?

Please state why if possible I"m not looking, necessarily, for the popular ones--just you know, the nice ones...ones that you will feel right at home

Open to all suggestions!
Old 08-17-2000, 09:20 AM

Wink

Hi Angelina,

I’ve never even been near UCLA, but I can still give you an answer to this question!

The best sorority for YOU is the one where YOU feel most at home and comfy with the sisters. There’s no one who can tell you that but you, and no way you can find out except keeping an open mind as you go through rush.

Good luck!
Old 08-17-2000, 05:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to RUgreek
The Best The Best The Best....that's all I hear freshman looking for. Tell me, what's wrong with the rest? I wasn't part of the best, but that didn't affect my experience or make me less enjoy being part of it all. I think it's a bad situation where everyone is attracted to all the glitz and glamor of one group and passing judgement for the rest. I hope this is just excitement for most of them, and they will actually join on merits not popularity. And most importantly, find the one that you connect with, which may not be everyone's opinion of "The Best"

RUgreek
Old 08-18-2000, 12:01 AM
UCLAlumna

Cool

Are you interested in a particular type of sorority? UCLA has a wide variety...NPC sororities, as well as historically African American, Latina, and Asian sororities.
Old 08-18-2000, 07:27 PM
Angelina

Talking

Hi UCLAlumna!!

Hmmm...well, I think I will rush all of them...but probably will go for a NPC one...just because my whole family have all been in an NPC sorotiy.

My sister was a Kappa Delta and my mom a Kappa Kappa Gamma. My aunt and granma were a Kappa Alpha Theta.

They really want me to join a NPC sorority, esp. a Kappa LoL!! But, I guess I will be open to all...

Do you think you could help me out? Thanks UCLAlumna, our Bruins rock!!!
Old 08-19-2000, 11:22 AM
UCLAlumna

Thumbs up

I'm not a member of an NPC sorority (I'm a sister in a Latina sorority), but since I was chapter president I got to know many NPC members through "system-wide" activities. I believe UCLA has 11 or 12 NPC organizations and all have houses right across from campus. Kappa Delta, Kappa Alpha Theta, and Kappa Kappa Gamma are all represented. UCLA has a very organized, large-scale Fall Recruitment, and I'm confident our NPC sisters on this board can give you more information on what to expect from "rush."

If you are interested in learning more about joining a traditionally Latina, African American or Asian sorority, the process is quite different. Check out the various related threads on this board, as my sisters in greekdom have posted some valuable information recently.

I found UCLA to be a challenging and exciting place to spend my undergraduate years, and joining my sorority made it even better! One thing to keep in mind--you don't HAVE to join an organization right away. The sororities at UCLA have been around for decades, and they aren't going anywhere. Since UCLA is academically demanding (and on the quarter-system), make sure you are doing well in your classes before committing to a pledge/new member program and life as an active.

If you have any questions, please post them, and best wishes to you!

Go Bruins!...can I get an 8-CLAP in here??!!!!

Old 10-24-2006, 04:42 PM
GreekChat Member

UCLAlumna is absolutely right. Join the sorority that feels like home and only join when you're ready. I waited until after my first quarter so that I could get a feel for my schedule and classes. UCLA is a quarter system so 2 weeks in and you're already 5 weeks behind. I ended up joining Kappa Delta and made friends that I will have forever. I've been best friends with them for 7 years now. Friends by chance, sisters by choice. These are girls who share some of the most important memories of my life. I've never regretted my decision to join a sorority and encourage every young woman to try it. When you're far from home, it's nice to have a support system to lean on.

Sorority "rankings" change every year it seems. I've never been a fan of the ranking system and believe me, once you reach your 3rd year it won't even matter. What matters are the young women who laugh with you and cry for you. The girls who will see you at worst...and love you anyway. Good luck and enjoy!
Old 10-24-2006, 05:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesrising View Post
Hee. I like it when 6 year old threads are bumped=) How does that happen?
I was just wondering the same thing, do people go digging?

And Jesus speaketh, "do unto others as they did unto you because the bitches deserve it".

Old 10-24-2006, 07:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur532 View Post
I was just wondering the same thing, do people go digging?

At least they are utilizng the search function.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesrising View Post
Applause for the search function:

(That was clapping right there)
After an extensive search of your livejournal, I wonder how you can clap with your weak wrists.