GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,263
0 members and 1,263 guests
No Members online

Old 06-19-2017, 09:16 PM
GreekChat Member

How to tell if a fraternity has suddenly listen interest in a rushee

Is there any reason why a chapter that previously seemed interested has suddenly stopped reaching out? (Shortened from original for identifying info)

Last edited by ntowle98; 06-20-2017 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Deleted to redact identifying info
Old 06-19-2017, 10:51 PM

This doesn't really help you, but there is no way that we can tell you exactly what's going on with the rush chair or the chapter.

Just from experience, the 2nd rush chair could be busy with work/internship/etc., and hasn't been able to answer. I don't know enough about UW(I'm guessing U of Washington since you mentioned Seattle) to be able to say if this is a campus where the fraternities put self-imposed limits on their pledge classes.

You probably haven't done anything wrong. Again, they could just be incredibly busy at this time. If there is a publicized event that you know about, go ahead and go. Do not, DO NOT, ask the chair or other members "Hey, why haven't I heard from you?" Just go, be friendly, be polite, don't be cocky, don't second guess any interactions with the members; just relax and have fun.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 06-20-2017, 12:21 PM
GreekChat Member

You probably put too much personal identifying information on this post. Not that many active fraternity members are likely to read posts on Greek Chat - but still. I suggest you try to delete this post or ask a moderator to delete it for you.

In any event, you may be between spring and summer sessions. There may be fewer actives attending the summer sessions and, as a result, fewer fraternity rush activities.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilTau View Post
In any event, you may be between spring and summer sessions. There may be fewer actives attending the summer sessions and, as a result, fewer fraternity rush activities.
It really depends. Sigma Nu's Oklahoma State chapter, for example, has their entire Fall class decided upon and signed as early as July. Our chapter at Central Oklahoma aspires to fill out its class mostly in the Summer, but we usually sign some in Fall formal recruitment as well.

The bottom line for OP is that we the readers know nothing. We don't know where you're going to school and it would probably be best that you avoid saying as much. I would probably not sign someone so insecure.

I think it's on OP to reach out to his contacts at the fraternity if he wants to sign.. and if he does and he wants to go ahead and commit, a discussion needs to be had about how bidding works and when/if he can expect a bid. I'd be pretty direct about the whole business. Either you're going to sign this house or you're wasting your time and could be looking elsewhere.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 06-20-2017, 04:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Your edited post is sufficient to get the information you seek. I do know, however, that most of the schools in this part of the country are between terms - but it depends on the practice of the fraternities at your particular school on how they recruit over the summer.

The kids up here are not the same as the kids in the South or Midwest. So I do not necessarily see your original, unedited post as being insecure, but more as bewilderment. The group you have been rushing may just be super laid back. Or they may be more like the Masons - where you have to actually ask to join. Of course if the group you are rushing is not laid back and have been giving bids to everyone but you - find a different fraternity.

Anyway, I suggest you just try to get to know as many people in the fraternity as you can - don't just limit your contact to the rush chair. It doesn't hurt to just ask someone in the fraternity about how do you go about joining the fraternity. Most importantly, I would not limit yourself to rushing just one group either. Keep in mind that IFC fraternities are more alike than different. So like the sorority recruitment stuff emphasizes - "maximize your options."

Last edited by PhilTau; 06-20-2017 at 05:24 PM.