GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 868
0 members and 868 guests
No Members online

Old 10-20-2012, 12:44 PM
GreekChat Member

A Very Bradley Recruitment....with a twist(:

Hey everybody! I have been waiting for the day when I could come and post my recruitment story, and I’ve finally made it! Well I’ve been browsing Greek Chat for probably the last year now, reading advice, old recruitment stories, and random threads about clothes. Soaking up any information I could, which just tended to get me more and more excited.

A little backround information:
I am basically the first girl to ever consider greek life in my family. I hadn’t ever thought about going through recruitment. All through senior year, I had been involved in various sports/activities and I felt like finding another family in college would be perfect(:
I spent a good deal of time throughout my senior year, just browsing the sororities websites, looking at all of their pictures, reading about their philanthropies and again, growing with excitement. I know the typical reputations/stereotypes of the sororities on my campus, but I am devoted to going in with an open mind and not letting those affect me. Certain girls that I have met have openly said their favorite house(s), and I just don’t know how they could have come to that decision yet. I mean, I don’t know anything until I meet the girls right? I do know that my school’s Recruitment is getting more and more competitive by the year, so that has made me a bit nervous. But all in all, I am so thrilled to begin the process(:

All through high school, I was obsessed with Vera Bradley, so that will be my theme for the rest of this story(:

The 11 sororities at my school are…
Alpha Delta Pi
Alpha Xi Delta
Alpha Epsilon Phi

Chi Omega
Delta Delta Delta

Delta Zeta
Kappa Alpha Theta
Kappa Delta
Kappa Kappa Gamma
Pi Beta Phi
Zeta Tau Alpha

And my code names (In no particular order)
Floral Nightingale – 1 rec
Java Blue – 2 recs
Very Berry Paisley – 1 rec
Indigo pop
Island Blooms – 1 rec
Lime’s Up – 3 recs
Blue Rhapsody
Purple Punch
Plum Petals
Rosie Posies
Ellie Blue – 1 rec

Old 10-20-2012, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Floral Nightingale – Starting out at this house made me nervous because I really liked them, and I didn’t know what to expect. They sang their entrance song which blew me away because I didn’t know they could be that loud! I realized that I’m being double rushed (I think that’s what it’s called.) So the girl and I, and the other girl in my rush group, all went and sat on the floor. It was definitely awkward because I had a dress on. We talked, and I tried my best, without being rude, to have some of the conversation, which I think I did okay at. Once it was over, we got led out. I really liked it, I felt good about this house!!

Rosie Posies – Walking up to this house, I kind of had a thought that this wasn’t going to be for me. Their song was SO catchy. I’m in my room now and it’s still humming through my head. It’s one of 2 that I actually remember! I got led in by this one girl and I sat on the couch and she sat in front of me. She had a boys name and we talked about how much we loved the fact of naming your daughter with a boys name. (: Then we talked about why I wanted to be in a sorority, the dress that I had on, and where I worked during the summer. When I walked out of the house, I knew that my opinion had changed. I loved this house!

Very Berry Paisley – This is not my house. At all. And it all started from the beginning. They opened the doors and the song started and all I could focus on was this girl in the front row with the biggest gap between her two front teeth. I know it’s really petty, but I honestly don’t even know what the song beat was. I was lead in to a back room, and we got to talking. I could tell that she was very close to my face, and I felt really uncomfortable. I know it was loud in the house…but still. We didn’t have ONE thing in common. I would say something, and she would say the opposite. I tried so hard to find a commonality. It just didn’t work. I know that this was not for me.

Plum Petals– I really enjoyed this house. They were so welcoming. Their cheer was very short. I was rushed by 3 different girls. I clicked well with the 1st and 3rd girls, not so much the 2nd. We talked about clothes and our favorite stores and how it was hard to find clothes because we’re so tall. At the end of 20 minutes I didn’t wanna leave!

Blue Rhapsody – This sorority didn’t have a house on campus, so they were using a fraternity house. I walked in, and started talking to this girl. She was very nice. We started with the basic what’s your major, dorm, hometown, etc. We got to crafting. And all of a sudden another girl walked up. So we talked. 5 minutes later another. 5 minutes later….ANOTHER. In 20 minutes, I was bumped by 4 girls. I just feel like I didn’t get to find a tiny connection with the girls. They all were very nice, but I was just confused when I left

Indigo pop – This sorority just colonized last year. So this was their first time doing formal recruitment. They were using the smallest fraternity house. All of us girls were crammed in one very small room. I could barely hear my girl. She had way too much eye make up on. I kept blurting out random stuff because she just could not carry on anything. I felt like giving up. I walked out knowing that it just wasn’t right for me.

Java Blue – LOVED this house. Their song was so cute. I was only rushed by one girl. So I knew that I had one chance to really make a first impression. We got to talking about the basics….cool. Then she complimented my dress. And I mentioned how I never really dress up for anything. And she said her sorority was the same way. For the rest of the 20 minutes we talked about how we love running shorts, a lose t-shirt, no makeup and our hair up. It was perfect. I left feeling great!

Ellie Blue – I arrived at this house with a lot of hesitation. They have one of the bad reputations. And they are the most expensive sorority. I really didn’t want to like this sorority because I knew I couldn’t afford it. I walked in and their house was gorgeous!!!! I mean granted I only saw the foyer, and the chapter room (which is the room I was led into.) Their song was adorable and I actually caught myself singing along. When we started talking, it was an immediate connection. We talked about kids because we both worked at summer camps, and then another girl came up. We talked mainly about studying abroad, and where we dreamed of going. As I was leaving all the girls were smiling at me and waving and I felt really good about it.

Island Blooms– Their reputation was not the best on campus either. And I could tell based of facebook pictures that this was not the place for me. I know I shouldn’t base my opinions on reputations but it was still in the back of my head. I walked in with this girl and we sat on the couch. We had a decent conversation. No awkward moments. Her eyes kept darting around the room. And she asked “Which sororities have you felt really comfortable at so far,” and it kind of put me in an awkward position. I answered with the genuine answer that every sorority has something awesome to offer. Otherwise, she seemed really nice and I left that house feeling good.

Purple Punch– I was very excited about going to this house. I had heard great things about it. I walked in and was paired with this very enthusiastic girl. We talked a lot about why she loved her sorority so much and it really meant a lot. She lived in the house and she said it was one of the best things about her sisterhood. I was then paired with another girl. We talked a lot about dancing and how both of us had danced for years so that was a great conversation. I left feeling great!!

As we were leaving Purple Punch’s house, it started to rain so the Rho Gammas rushed us all back inside and into a spare room. We stayed there for a solid 45 minutes. I was on such a high knowing I only had one house left, and when I was forced to sit down, it all died. I became so tired, and thirsty, and we all just wanted a shower. Finally they said it was only a light sprinkle so to make a dash for it. We grabbed our umbrellas and ran to our final house.

Lime’s Up – I was very excited for this house. Their song is the 2nd one that I really remember. I was paired with a girl and we made our way to the corner of the room. I was starting to lose my voice at this point. We talked a lot about my roommates, and where I was living and why I joined a sorority. She asked if anybody in my family is greek, and I said my aunt and my dad. She asked which GLO and when I said that my aunt was an Island Bloom, I immediately felt a twist in my stomach….like she thought that that was my top house or something. She moved on to the next subject and I felt better. The next girl was AWESOME. We immediately clicked off the bat. At this point, I had soooo much energy. I don’t know where it came from. And she was all for it. We were cracking up the entire time and I felt great. Another girl walked up and asked what we were all excited about and the other girl explained and they both started cracking up. I honestly felt so at home. As she walked away, the girl said that she was on the executive board and It was good that she introduced herself. I was beaming. I talked to one more girl and then it was my time to go(: I LOVED it there

When it came to voting, I knew my tops, but I could only “drop” 3. And I was torn between 2. I finally made up my mind

1. Lime’s Up
1. Java Blue

1. Rosie Posies
1. Plum Petals
1. Ellie Blue
1. Floral Nightingale
1. Purple Punch

1. Island Blooms
2. Blue Rhapsody
3. Indigo Pop
4. Very Berry Paisley

Sorry for the lengthiness!!!
Old 10-20-2012, 02:45 PM
GreekChat Member

hm, I think I'll root for Floral Nightingale! Can't wait to read the rest!
Old 10-20-2012, 04:36 PM

I'm rooting for Lime's Up and Purple Punch!
Old 10-20-2012, 05:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm for Java Blue and Lime's Up!
Old 10-21-2012, 12:06 AM
GreekChat Member

pretty sure I know what school this is...
Old 10-21-2012, 02:04 AM
GreekChat Member

I woke up that morning all nervous and excited. I rushed down to my tent with my roommates and I was handed my schedule. I got a full schedule! And the 8 that I wanted! I was so thrilled. A lot of girls around me had already gotten dropped by their favorites so it made me feel really good. And then off I went(:
Island Blooms – Loved this once again. Walked in and sat in a chair while the girl kneeled in front of me. She was so pretty it was almost scary. She introduced the philanthropy and we talked about that. Then they put on the video. It was so sad L She came back and we talked about the events that they do to raise money. Then we branched off to other random topics we had in common. I was bumped by 2 other girls for like 2 minutes each. And then back to the first one. I walked out feeling still great about this house(:

Lime’s Up – Loved this one again!! Got paired with a girl, and as we were walking through the house I attempted to find my rusher from yesterday but I couldn’t. We sat and she introduced her philanthropy and we talked about my rush experience so far. Then we watched the video, and I swear I almost starting tearing up. She came back over and we talked about the events. Then an executive member came over again!! That really boosted my confidence. We talked about the different types of music we liked. Then both of them left and another girl joined. I just felt really good when I left(:

Floral Nightingale– I don’t know. They opened their doors and something didn’t feel right. They were all gorgeous and I just kept thinking, could I even fit in here? My rusher was really nice though. She gave me a house tour and everything was so cute and matching. I definitely enjoyed my time there, but I didn’t think it was for me.

Purple Punch – I LOVED it. I started talking to this one girl, and we just had a lot in common! One of the exec chairs came and talked to me and we also had a really good conversation. Then I got paired with another girl. How payment plans worked and so on. She walked me out and I felt good about it
Ellie Blue – I was really hoping I wouldn’t like this because of how expensive it was. But I got paired with one girl, we sat down and the video immediately started. Then I got paired with this girl who took me on a house tour. She was sooo nice! She showed me her room, and the presidents room, and various other little rooms. She talked about how they were all a family. I walked out of the house loving it, but wondering if I could afford it.
Java Blue – Loved. I walked in, and the same girl who rushed me yesterday rushed me again. I really wanted to get the chance to meet another girl, but I got along with her so I was okay. It was hard to think of questions because of the fact that we talked so much yesterday. They showed their video, and I knew it was something I could be passionate about. We talked about their events and how she felt about her philanthropy. I left feeling great, but still wishing I could of met someone else

Rosie Posies – Im sorry but this was painful. I got paired with a sophomore, who was clearly inexperienced. She basically forced me to do the craft. Then she explained the finances. And the things they do. I was so uncomfortable, and I couldn’t think of questions, and I had to use the bathroom, so I went. When I came out, the movie had just started. It was a great cause, but the video they made didn’t really do anything for me. She kept asking if I had questions. And I just wanted to leave. She handed me off to the philanthropy chair, who basically asked if I had any questions. I really tried to, but I was giving up.
Plum Petals – I really liked it. The first girl I got paired up with we talked about how we did similar stuff in highschool, and then when the next girl came up, she realized she did the same activities as well! So we talked a lot about those as she gave me the house tour. Their house is adorable. I definitely saw myself being there.

Rankings were so hard
So this was my final list
1. Lime’s Up
1. Java Blue
1. Purple Punch
1. Plum Petals
1. Ellie Blue
1. Island Blooms

2. Floral Nightingale
3. Rosie Posies

I am so beyond nervous for tomorrow…..I don’t think Ill be able to sleep
Old 10-21-2012, 04:17 PM
GreekChat Member

DAY 3

So the next day, my roommates and I woke up and were all excitedly getting ready to begin our 3rd day. I was in my dress, hair done, and my shoes and we had about 10 minutes until we were supposed to meet at our tents. I went into my room to grab my phone and there it was…..

“MISSED CALL: Rho Gamma”

Seriously? Was this really happening? I had only heard about bad things about getting a call. My voicemail didn’t work so I had to call her back. My roommates stood there next to me as my rho gamma told me that I would only be meeting for the last two houses, and she would be waiting for me at the tent. My heart sank. 2? The maximum for that day was 6. I understood 5 or 4. But 2? 11...to 8...to 2. I watched my roommates go out the door and I just sat there, for 5 hours..and cried. I took off my makeup and changed into comfy clothes and literally went through every conversation I had. Did I say that wrong? Did that girl think I was weird? I was so frazzled. I just kept assuring myself, as long as I see Lime’s Up, Java Blue, Purple Punch, or Plum Petals I would be okay. But then that would have to mean that some of them had dropped me. That confused me even more because I knew I had the best conversations at the house. I was honestly devastated.

The time came, I redid my makeup, got dressed again, and trudged on over to my assigned tent. My rho gamma was on a break, so another rho gamma came over to hand me my schedule. Ha…..what did I see

Ellie Blue
Rosie Posies

What. What what what. I had a slight brisk of relief to see that at least Ellie Blue asked me back. I just didn’t understand how none of my top 4 had invited me back. The girls were just so nice, and we had had the best conversations. The rho gamma sat there with me and talked to me about it. My rho gamma came back, and assured me “I would end up where I’m meant to me” and walked me to my first house, Rosie Posies.

Rosie Posies: Nope, not feeling it. It was their video day and I wanted so badly to feel the sense of “Oh my gosh, I belong here. This is it!” But I didn’t, and that just upset me. So many girls around me were sitting there with stars in their eyes, and giggling with the actives about how much they loved their chapter. And I was just waiting to leave. I felt so bad because my rusher was so nice, and we were having a great conversation. I just didn’t feel itL

Ellie Blue: This was it. I had to feel something here. It was my last chance. The video immediately started when we all were seated. I was crying, the girls next to me were crying, the actives were crying, it was just a sob fest. It was seriously the cutest video I’ve ever seen. My rusher took me to the back of the room and we talked about her experiences with her sorority and 2 others. We also talked about bid day! I left the house and called my mom

“This is it, this is where I’m meant to be”

I went back to my tent. I had to rank both chapters of course so my rankings went

Ellie Blue
Rosies Posies

My rho gamma assured me that everything would be fine, I gave her my paper, and I walked back to my dorm.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I feel a similarity between recruitment stories and horror movies. You can yell "don't go in there" all you want, but the main character can't hear you. With recruitment stories it's all "don't give up! Just keep going!" but typically the stories are not live.

Nervous to hear what the twist is and can't wait to hear the ending.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 10-22-2012, 02:25 AM
GreekChat Member

I want to hear more! AHHH!
Old 10-22-2012, 02:50 AM
GreekChat Member

I want to hear more too! My rush sounds really similar to yours. I went from 8 to 3 to 2.
I can honestly say that I am absolutely in love with my sorority though! Looking back on it, I don't think anywhere else would have been as perfect of a fit!
Old 10-22-2012, 10:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Oh I know exactly how you felt... I went from 10 to 1, a chapter I really didn't think I wanted. But here I am, with initiation Sunday, as excited as I could be! I believe in a happy ending for you. There's even a smilie face in the title of the board!

Last edited by ErinHope; 10-22-2012 at 10:33 AM. Reason: rephrased a bit
Old 10-22-2012, 01:08 PM
GreekChat Member

So Pref Day had arrived. The best part was knowing I could actually sleep in. But who could sleep when you knew that today you could possibly get dropped. I woke up early, cleaned a lot. Made sure I still liked my outfit, and basically waited by my phone. Around lunch I got a text telling me a time to meet at the tent. I was confused though. This was the party time for the second to last house. So for a quick instant I was like

OH MY GOSH THIS IS UNBELIEVEABLE ELLIE BLUE ASKED ME BACK IM NOT A FAILURE OH MY GOSH UNICORNS AND RAINBOWS!!!!

But then I thought wait, I could have a party, and then a break. I could only have one party. I kept assuring myself, I had the best conversations at Ellie Blue, if they didn’t ask me back, something was wrong. And If I see Rosie Posies on my schedule, then something was wrong.

My roommates of course, had full schedules so they left 2 hours before me. I finally got to leave and sort of scurried to my tent because I was so scared/nervous. My rho gamma saw me and walked out to give me my paper.

Devastation

Schedule:
Party 1: Rosies Posies

Break

My rho gamma immediately knew something was wrong. She asked if I was okay and I said no. She even admitted that she thought it was strange that I had been cut by so many. She asked me to walk her through each of the houses. I assured her I gave my name tag to each girl. I was just shocked. I wanted to withdraw right there. She told me to at least give Rosie Posies my time so I walked on over there.

Again, girls were soooo excited to be back. Beaming about how they knew this was right. And I was there like….no. This isn’t me. I walked in, and was paired with a quiet girl. I almost started crying because I wished I was at Ellie Blue. But I had to keep it together. I basically motioned to the scrapbooks on the table, and we went through that the entire time. They had their ceremony. Girls were crying. And I was sitting there. I felt so bad. Finally it was time to go, the girl said she hoped to see me tomorrow and I gave her a smile and left

I went back to my rho gamma and when she caught my eye I shook my head. She said sometimes Panhellenic just isn’t for everybody and I just didn’t understand. She said the following week to sign up for COB. I took the withdraw sheet, scribbled my name, gave her a hug, and walked off.

My roommates were both in love with two sororities, and I sat there on my bed like I was too L

The next day was bid day. They both left that morning. I got texts from them. One got into Floral Nightingale and the other into Java Blue. I was thrilled for them but apart of me was devastated.

Just wait……….
Old 10-22-2012, 01:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allsmiles3 View Post

I went back to my rho gamma and when she caught my eye I shook my head. She said sometimes Panhellenic just isn’t for everybody and I just didn’t understand. She said the following week to sign up for COB. I took the withdraw sheet, scribbled my name, gave her a hug, and walked off.

Your Rho Gamma sounds awesome. I'm glad she took the time to be encouraging of you to attend the parties on your list, and to listen to you, and not to try to pressure you to sign a bid card or do something you didn't want to do. Kudos to her. Looking forward to hearing the rest of your story.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Ooh post more!! I want to know what happens.