GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,408
0 members and 2,408 guests
No Members online

Old 07-16-2004, 02:05 AM
GreekChat Member

How many recs for a southern school?

Hi everyone-

I'm a PNM and I will be going through recruitment this fall at a larger sized southern school. My question is - how many recs should I send out to each house? I want to let everyone know that I am truly interested in joining a GLO, but I don't want to go overboard! Any advice that yall have is really appreciated!

Thanks!!
-Alexandra
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-16-2004, 02:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Either almost in Mississippi or almost in Georgia, or traveling in between
Send a message via AIM to bekibug
I would honestly say no more than 2 or 3, unless you really want a particular sorority, and in that case get as many as you want. If you can get one from someone that pledged at that school, that's awesome. But, to be honest, it really doesn't matter if you go through with recs or not because if the sorority really wants you, they'll find an alumna to write one for you based on the info you gave on your recruitment application.
Old 07-16-2004, 03:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bekibug
I But, to be honest, it really doesn't matter if you go through with recs or not because if the sorority really wants you, they'll find an alumna to write one for you based on the info you gave on your recruitment application.
It does matter whether or not you have recs at some schools. You should try to get at least one for each chapter on your campus. Recs can never hurt you and often they will make a difference.
Old 07-16-2004, 07:15 AM
GreekChat Member

My friend Heidi was a Theta legacy, and when she went through rush at LSU her mom got 48 Theta recs for her! Good thing she pledged Theta.

In most instances, it's not necessary to get multiple recommendation as the only people who will know how many recs were received are the Recruitment Chair, her adviser, and the committee. One rec is usually sufficient, and a few can't hurt but don't necessarily make a difference.

Kappa Kappa Gamma

Tradition of Leadership

Old 07-16-2004, 08:31 AM

Send a message via AIM to maggieaxid
I think recs carry more weight at different schools. If you know someone in a greek org. who attends the school you are going to, ask them.
Old 07-16-2004, 11:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks so much yall. I think that I'll probably submit a max of 2 recs to each GLO.
Old 07-16-2004, 12:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cavusdaisy
Thanks so much yall. I think that I'll probably submit a max of 2 recs to each GLO.
Just curious -- you say that you'll submit recs. I was under the impression that recs were submitted directly to the chapters by the women who wrote them, or in some cases, they're sent to a college chapter via an alumnae chapter. Is it a usual practice for the PNM to receive the actual filled-out recommendation form and send it in herself?
Old 07-16-2004, 01:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Just curious -- you say that you'll submit recs. I was under the impression that recs were submitted directly to the chapters by the women who wrote them, or in some cases, they're sent to a college chapter via an alumnae chapter. Is it a usual practice for the PNM to receive the actual filled-out recommendation form and send it in herself?
I'm not sending them in myself. What I meant was that I'm going to find two alums from each GLO and have them submit them for me. I don't think that I'm even supposed to see what they put on the forms, let alone fill it out myself. Sorry for the confusion!
Old 07-16-2004, 01:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I know at my school, many of the sororities will cut a PNM if they do not have a rec, simply because there are so many girls coming through rush.. I would say have 2-3 per organization if possible, and as someone else said more if you're particularly interested in one specific organization.

Keep in mind that my advice is coming from someone who went through at a super competitive, large, southern school, and this might not apply to your particular school