GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,023
1 members and 1,022 guests
LaneSig

Old 08-22-2017, 03:56 AM
GreekChat Member

What do i count as?

I just graduated high school and am about to enter my first year of commuity college. since i took ap classes in high school, ive already finished one year and only need to spend this year at a cc to transfer to a Cal, UCLA, UCSB, or UCI. i plan on double majoring though, so i probably will spend 3 years at a uc after cc. because i will have only done 1 year of college, and i plan on doing 3 more years, do i count as a sophomore when i rush for a fraternity? Also idk if this matters but im pretty young for my grade, i will have just turned 19 when entering a uc school. my cousin told me that i'd definitely be included with sophomores but im still kinda nervous because i know if im counted as a junior that their chances are much slimmer of getting a bid.

Last edited by dodgerfan31; 08-22-2017 at 12:22 PM.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerfan31 View Post
I just graduated high school and am about to enter my first year of commuity college. since i took ap classes in high school, ive already finished one year and only need to spend this year at a cc to transfer to a Cal, UCLA, UCSB, or UCI. i plan on double majoring though, so i probably will spend 3 years at a uc after cc. because i will have only done 1 year of college, and i plan on doing 3 more years, do i count as a sophomore when i rush? Also idk if this matters but im pretty young for my grade, i will have just turned 19 when entering a uc school. my cousin told me that i'd definitely be included with sophomores but im still kinda nervous because i know if im counted as a junior that their chances are much slimmer of getting a bid.
I'll certainly give way to anyone from the UC schools, but I'll give it a try.
1) What gender are you? The Sorority rush rules and the Fraternity rush rules are different. (and if you are interested in Divine 9 (NPHC), as far as I know Sophmore vs. Junior matters even less)
2) I'd be surprised if the rules are completely the same across the entire UC system. They certainly aren't across the University of Maryland system.
As such, some of the information may need to be checked at the individual UC school web page.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
I'll certainly give way to anyone from the UC schools, but I'll give it a try.
1) What gender are you? The Sorority rush rules and the Fraternity rush rules are different. (and if you are interested in Divine 9 (NPHC), as far as I know Sophmore vs. Junior matters even less)
2) I'd be surprised if the rules are completely the same across the entire UC system. They certainly aren't across the University of Maryland system.
As such, some of the information may need to be checked at the individual UC school web page.
sorry for leaving it out but im a man, and i have no idea what divine 9 is.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerfan31 View Post
sorry for leaving it out but im a man, and i have no idea what divine 9 is.
Divine 9 is the National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC), the Historically Black Fraternities and Sororities.

For men, I personally haven't seen *that* much difference based on number of credits, and I haven't heard of a split in rush based on number of credits. What the Fraternities care about is number of years remaining at the school. Answering "What year are you?" with "I expect to be class of 2021 because of my double major" should be fine.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

For men, I personally haven't seen *that* much difference based on number of credits, and I haven't heard of a split in rush based on number of credits. What the Fraternities care about is number of years remaining at the school. Answering "What year are you?" with "I expect to be class of 2021 because of my double major" should be fine.[/QUOTE]

thank you so much
Old 08-22-2017, 02:50 PM
GreekChat Member

UCLA sorority advisor here.

UC universities get tons of upper class transfers who become involved in Greek life. Don't worry, your upper class status is not a major factor in joining a fraternity.
Old 08-23-2017, 01:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Generally, assuming you are asking about traditional male social fraternities, the most important thing is that they like you and that you like them. If they like you, any objection to giving you a bid based on the years remaining to graduation would likely be shouted down. A good fraternity does not base membership decisions on how many years a potential member will be paying active dues.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilTau View Post
Generally, assuming you are asking about traditional male social fraternities, the most important thing is that they like you and that you like them. If they like you, any objection to giving you a bid based on the years remaining to graduation would likely be shouted down. A good fraternity does not base membership decisions on how many years a potential member will be paying active dues.
I'd put a *tiny* interesting caveat to that. At one school that I've heard of, the rules on the greek system involving having to make grades force the fraternities and sororities to initiate at the beginning of the following semester (for example, Rush and pledging and bids to initiate are in fall but they are not allowed to initiate first thing in the spring if the GPA for the pledge in the pledging semester is below a 2.0 or something). As a result of that, fraternities and sororities can not pledge someone in the expected *final* semester prior to graduation) However, since that would be incredibly rare anyway, the rule isn't viewed as much of an imposition by the school.

Last edited by naraht; 08-23-2017 at 10:11 AM. Reason: rarity