GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,376
1 members and 1,375 guests
LaneSig

Old 09-22-2006, 04:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to beebadger
How does Continuous Open bidding work for the PNM?

Hi. My daughter was invited to a COB event and is interested in the house. How do these events typically work? Will the house have more than one event? How do they decide whether to give someone a bid? Are their usually more PNMs invited back than spots open or does this vary by house or college? Thanks!
Old 09-22-2006, 04:36 PM

It all varies. There can be one event, or several - it depends how well the sorority has gotten to know the girls previously. There are usually more girls invited than there are bids open, unless the sorority is 99.99999% sure the girls they invite will be signing their bids (i.e. if they're really good friends of the whole sisterhood who just didn't rush for whatever reason) and they just have to have attended a recruitment event for whatever bylaw-ish reason.

As to how they decide, that's confidential membership selection info.
Old 09-22-2006, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beebadger View Post
Hi. My daughter was invited to a COB event and is interested in the house. How do these events typically work? Will the house have more than one event? How do they decide whether to give someone a bid? Are their usually more PNMs invited back than spots open or does this vary by house or college? Thanks!
This depends on the campus. On many campuses, COB events will be open to all campus women not already in a sorority. Most of the time each sorority eligible for COB (i.e. not at campus total) will have a few different events -- often with a theme like Fondue Night or Luau -- and maybe a final invitation-only party. Sometimes all the parties are by invitation only, and sometimes they're all open events. COB tends to be more informal than Formal Recruitment in terms of manner and dress, but this can vary... on some campuses girls do get dressed up for COB events. Typically a "closed" COB event will be dressy.

If your daughter is interested in COB, she should keep careful watch around campus for flyers announcing open events, or if she doesn't see anything, she should call the Greek Life office to figure out which sororities are participating in COB and if the events are either open or by invitation-only.

At my friend's campus, the sororities actually have a sign up/information night where all interested women "sign up" for COB eligibility and the sororities invite the women they're interested in from that group of women. At another campus, they might have a simple sign-up table at the beginning of the year and all women who've signed up for interest in COB are invited to all parties. It varies from school to school, really.

How the chapters decide to extend a bid is generally secret sorority information. Suffice it to say, it's important for your daughter to meet with and click with as many girls as possible to maximize her chances of obtaining a bid.

AND YES, many more women are invited back than there are spots for, unless the sorority is really struggling with numbers. Sometimes there are only 2 spots, sometimes there's 25. Most of the time there are fewer spots open than even in formal recruitment -- however, there are also fewer PNMs that participate in COB.

Your daughter's college Greek Life office will be the best place for her to get specifics on her college, since COB really does vary from school to school.

To let my lyre send forth the chords of love, unselfishness and sincerity
Old 09-22-2006, 04:59 PM
GreekChat Member

How does Continuous Open bidding work for the PNM?

Thanks for your replies. My daughter did actually go to the one event last night -- a dinner at the house. I'm not sure, however, if she could tell whether there were a bunch of other PNMs there or not. She originally went through formal recruitment but didn't get invited to preference at this house. She decided she didn't want to join either of the 2 she was asked back to and dropped out before rush concluded. This is the house she is really interested in, but I'm afraid getting invited to COB is going to get her hopes up too much...
Old 09-22-2006, 05:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Thanks for your replies. My daughter did actually go to the one event last night -- a dinner at the house. I'm not sure, however, if she could tell whether there were a bunch of other PNMs there or not. She originally went through formal recruitment but didn't get invited to preference at this house. She decided she didn't want to join either of the 2 she was asked back to and dropped out before rush concluded. This is the house she is really interested in, but I'm afraid getting invited to COB is going to get her hopes up too much...
Hey! I acutally did COB this fall and just got a bid this past Wednesday! I went to 2 large events (dessert night at the house and sisterhood bowling night in the on campus bowling alley) and then one invite lunch. i really jsut talked to as many sisters and got to know them. It was so much fun and it was so exciting when they came to give me my bid night before last! Ive hardly slept ive been so excited!!!

Good luck to your daughter and i hope thigns so well for her!
LIVE FOR 32
Old 09-22-2006, 06:18 PM

I joined my chapter through COB as a sophomore. I went to 3 nights of events, and received a bid shortly after. There were like 5 or so other PNMs who came and I think 3 of us got bids.

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-23-2006, 12:46 AM

Sometimes COB/COR is so casual that the PNM doesn't even realize that she's being considered for membership!
Old 09-23-2006, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGirl View Post
Sometimes COB/COR is so casual that the PNM doesn't even realize that she's being considered for membership!
That's how my recruitment was. The only thing that was remotely "recruitment-like" was that I had to sign a grade release form. Everything was so unstructured and natural (as informal recruitment should be).

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Question How does continuous open bidding work for the PNM?

Is there always more than one event? Is a PNM ever invited to one event but not back to a 2nd COB activity if there is one?
Old 09-23-2006, 08:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Is there always more than one event? Is a PNM ever invited to one event but not back to a 2nd COB activity if there is one?
Yes, that can happen if the second events are invite only. Somtimes sororities will invite all eligible PNMs that went to the first COB event back to their closed events, but sometimes they'll only invite a portion of the PNMs that they are seriously considering for membership.

To let my lyre send forth the chords of love, unselfishness and sincerity
Old 09-24-2006, 02:34 AM

Quote:

No there's not always more than one event. A sorority could offer a bid after one event if the members feel the got to know the PNM well enough.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ADPi Conniebama
Yea I always think of Fraternity recruitment when I think of COR's. It is so much easier to talk honestly with the COR PNM at the "event/dinner/ice cream social" Heck, we basically ask them if they are interested in a bid before we go on to the next step. But, we wouldn't ask unless they were "eligable."

Keep us updated on what happens.