GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,844
0 members and 2,844 guests
No Members online

Old 03-13-2013, 11:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Sorority suspended before initiation

Hi everyone,

I go to a fairly school on the northeast with a smaller greek life population. Joining a sorority was crucial to me during my college experience and I received a bid from my top choice this past february. However, it was cut short when a week into my new member process the sorority was suspended due to a mistake by one of our new members that basically had nothing to do with the sorority. Now our new member process has been stopped and the sorority is no longer recognized by our campus, we've been told that they won't be back on campus until at least this coming fall but they may never come back. I really don't know what to do because I feel I have been robbed of my chance of joining a sorority. I need any advice you can give??
Thanks in advance!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-13-2013, 11:47 AM
GreekChat Member

You're only a week into pledging. I think you are confused on some of the terminology. You are bound to your sorority bid until next formal recruitment at this school. Therefore, you have two choices if you have not yet been initiated. (1) If they've been suspended but may be back in the fall, you can wait and see what happens in the fall. If they are still there, resume pledging and initiate. (2) If they're not back in the fall, then re-rush in the spring when you have formal recruitment and attempt a bid among the remaining sororities.

At the very least, you can call the Office of Greek Affairs at your school to find out what is going on and what options they recommend. You can also speak to your sorority new member coordinator or president.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:55 AM

Is this a local sorority or a chapter of a national sorority?

Reason for my asking is national chapters usually don't get "derecognized" and "suspended" at the same time.

Last edited by 33girl; 03-13-2013 at 11:58 AM.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:01 PM
GreekChat Member

You should have been told at your final meeting what your options are. A call to your national's headquarters should give you clarity.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf View Post
You are bound to your sorority bid until next formal recruitment at this school.
I don't know what school we are talking about, but this is not always true. If a chapter is suspended, they may release the NM's from their commitment.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
I don't know what school we are talking about, but this is not always true. If a chapter is suspended, they may release the NM's from their commitment.
Agreed. The new members(pledges) might be free and clear to join another sorority right away.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm pretty sure the Manual of Information specifies something about that but I don't have the energy to look it up right now.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
I'm pretty sure the Manual of Information specifies something about that but I don't have the energy to look it up right now.
Well, it's not clear from the OP what exactly happened. If the sorority leaves campus, that's really different from a group being suspended pending investigation or just put on social probation.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
They told us that we are technically no longer "new members" but I am confused as to whether or not we are still bound to our commitment.

Also, this IS a national sorority.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:59 PM
GreekChat Member

But NPC sororities don't get kicked completely off campus for 1 new member screwing up. There's more to this story than we've been told. There's possibly more to this story than SHE'S been told. But I don't think we're in a position to advise based on the information given.

My instinct is this is a local and there was a last straw scenario that happened, but based on the information given I could be completely off base. I'm also perplexed that the chapter didn't advise the girls of their options and just closed up shop. Is there an NPC group that would be giving this harsh of a punishment to a chapter and not have someone from headquarters in discussing every phase of this? I mean, there's a lot of money at stake.

/eta If you are no longer new members, then you should be free to pledge a new chapter as soon as someone will take you. I'd address this question with your Greek Life office.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbh009 View Post
They told us that we are technically no longer "new members" but I am confused as to whether or not we are still bound to our commitment.

Also, this IS a national sorority.
Call your sorority's HQ. All 26 NPC sororities have websites with contact information. They will be able to help you and answer your questions.

ETA: I am only talking NPC, not NPHC or any other (inter)national sorority. I try to only talk about what I know. And not get annoyed.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 03-13-2013, 08:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
Call your sorority's HQ. All 26 NPC sororities have websites with contact information. They will be able to help you and answer your questions.

ETA: I am only talking NPC, not NPHC or any other (inter)national sorority. I try to only talk about what I know. And not get annoyed.
In the same boat. Even if it isn't NPC, it might behoove you to talk with the (inter)national headquarters. Or try your greek life office.

I thought I had figured out the chapter, but it turns out that the guessed chapter didn't participate in recruitment this year. Hmmm, back to the drawing board.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 03-13-2013, 09:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Does this story make sense to anybody? How could a sorority get suspended because of something one pledge did? I mean all the ones I could find in google that were recently suspended had some history of bad stuff and probation and reviews and things before it happened. Sometimes I think I am always confused here!
Old 03-13-2013, 09:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Row View Post
Does this story make sense to anybody? How could a sorority get suspended because of something one pledge did? I mean all the ones I could find in google that were recently suspended had some history of bad stuff and probation and reviews and things before it happened. Sometimes I think I am always confused here!
I'm sure there's more to the story - and probably a lot more. The proliferation of information in chapters can be highly inaccurate, especially in regards to risk management and corrective action.

I don't mean to discredit the OP, just pointing out that information from HQ/the university is not often reliably transferred from chapter leaderships to general members.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:34 PM
GreekChat Member

There's not much more to the story as far as I know. It is an NPC sorority. Obviously, I cannot go into specific details but the school is small and very strict and the reason that the sorority has been suspended is because they need to have a judicial hearing which will take a couple months and they can't continue our new member process because of the hearing. Honestly, the whole reason for suspension would be laughed at at another school, it is ridiculous. Nonetheless, the sorority is suspended and we are no longer new members. It is really a very confusing story and it seems to be out of the ordinary for a sorority. I appreciate everyones input and I will definitely go talk to the greek advisor and also national in order to get more information. Thanks for everyones help!