GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,224
0 members and 1,224 guests
No Members online

Old 02-19-2004, 11:30 PM

fraternity alumni initiation

hi all!

i was just wondering- do any of the national fraternities offer alumni initiation in the same way that the NPC sororities do?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-19-2004, 11:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I know Alpha Tau Omega does, based on this thread: http://forums.greekchat.com/gcforums...threadid=46512

However, it looks like this was a very special case. I think an ATO would need to answer this further.

http://forums.greekchat.com/gcforums...&threadid=2527 was another case of a fraternity PNAM, but the original poster never said what happened with it.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
In general, my impression has been that NIC fraternities do not offer Alumna Initiation in the same sense that NPHC and NPC groups do, in other words, for interested members of the community looking for service and siblinghoods. Their alumni initiates tend to be the "Honor Initiates" traditionally seen in NPC sororities until recent years--men of exceptional accomplishment initiated into the fraternity at conventions and whatnot.

This is the *general* case I have heard on GC but there are probably exceptions.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:37 AM
Banned

Most of us actually believe in someone actually being a brother.

-Rudey
Old 02-20-2004, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rudey
Most of us actually believe in someone actually being a brother.

-Rudey
So, what does it mean to be a brother?

Does it take being hazed? Going through rush? The Pledge process?

Or, does it mean believing in and adhering to the principles of the organization?

You can decide.

Delta Tau Delta does alumni initiations. In fact, we have initiated some people who aren't alumni, but who have done, or can do great service to the fraternity.

We do not do "honorary" initiations -- such as initiating a famous person. As I said before, our "alumni" initiates must have done, or be doing strong service to the Fraternity.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltAlum
So, what does it mean to be a brother?

Does it take being hazed? Going through rush? The Pledge process?

Or, does it mean believing in and adhering to the principles of the organization?

You can decide.

Delta Tau Delta does alumni initiations. In fact, we have initiated some people who aren't alumni, but who have done, or can do great service to the fraternity.

We do not do "honorary" initiations -- such as initiating a famous person. As I said before, our "alumni" initiates must have done, or be doing strong service to the Fraternity.
What you described as an alumni initiate sounds like an honorary initiate to me. When I think alumni I think of the people that just decide hey I want to be a part of ABC and I'm not in college, so I will go try now.

And hey maybe you got hazed, but I think a very fundamental aspect of being in most of our fraternities, I speak for mine, is that we join in college. Let's not pretend the college aspect is nothing and it's all about "principles". If that were true, fraternity after fraternity would drop all their houses, would drop risky college kids, expand into adults, etc. But they don't. So don't flaunt these high and might principles so much.

-Rudey
Old 02-20-2004, 12:58 AM
GreekChat Member

If you already belong to a Local group, you could always help coerce your undergraduate organization into affiliating with a national fraternity.

My fraternity absorbed a local down in Atlanta this year and I think they are inviting all alumni to be initiated.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to astroAPhi
The TKEs here have initiated 2 "alumni" members in the past 2 years. Both were exceptional members of the university and industry and expressed an interest in being part of the fraternity.

Though, I think it helped that the two men were the university president and a member of the Board of Trustees, and the latter was friends with the then Grand Hegemon of the entire fraternity. But from what I understand, both of them do a lot of volunteer work for the chapter and for the national organization.

TKE Omicron Nu Chapter Sweetheart 2003
Old 02-20-2004, 11:11 AM

just wanted to clarify i'm not asking for myself, ::ahem:: i'm a girl... hahah.

but thanks to those who responded.
Old 02-20-2004, 11:17 AM
GreekChat Member

we initated a couple of our dads
Old 02-20-2004, 11:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Concerning honorary initiates in my fraternity, ATO does one at national conventions. Chapters may choose and elect an honorary initiate as they see fit, but a form has to be approved before the ceremony. As far as requirements, the standard I've seen is having a close tie with the Fraternity, such as being a pledge that never got initiated because of transferring, being an outstanding advisor, etc. However, I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule.

On the question of absorbed local fraternities and their alumni, I know that ATO gives the alumni of the abosorbed local the option of being initiated along with the chapter.

Jason

Last edited by ATOtnBetaTau; 02-20-2004 at 11:32 AM.
Old 02-20-2004, 02:45 PM

Quote:
What you described as an alumni initiate sounds like an honorary initiate to me. When I think alumni I think of the people that just decide hey I want to be a part of ABC and I'm not in college, so I will go try now.

And hey maybe you got hazed, but I think a very fundamental aspect of being in most of our fraternities, I speak for mine, is that we join in college. Let's not pretend the college aspect is nothing and it's all about "principles". If that were true, fraternity after fraternity would drop all their houses, would drop risky college kids, expand into adults, etc. But they don't. So don't flaunt these high and might principles so much.

-Rudey

Ditto Rudey!
Old 02-20-2004, 03:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

-Rudey
You may not agree that AI is necessary or important, or even that it should happen, but please don't minimize the experience for those to whom it is very important and special. And no, I am NOT an Alum Initiate, but I do recognize their value to my organization.
Old 02-20-2004, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

my buddy is a kappa sig and he told me that they do alumni initiation. They have also initiated some of the people that they claim to be famous Kappa Sigs like Jimmy Buffet.
Old 02-20-2004, 03:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Sigma Phi Epsilon has a kind of alumni Initiation. There are no set criteria that I know of usually you have to be a volunteer to a chapter or some how know them. We initiated a brother’s father last year. Other than that it’s usually done when a chapter is installed, or when someone has made a huge contribution to a chapter. It’s not as structured as NPC or NPHC.