GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Alumnae Initiation

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,373
3 members and 1,370 guests
Cookiez17, g41965, JayhawkAOII

Old 04-26-2014, 12:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Undergraduate interested in Alumnae Induction or rushing as a grad student-help?

I am currently a sophomore at a private university with a small Greek community. I participated in rush twice, the first time not accepting a bid as I did not feel I fit in with that particular group, and the second being completely cut halfway through. I very much wanted Greek life to be a part of my undergrad experience after seeing how positive my parents relationships still are with their brothers/sisters, and hearing about the traditions. However, I have come to realize that Greek life at my college is not the same as it was for my parents at their large state school. The fact that my recommendations meant little here and many other factors have led me to realize that going Greek as an undergrad is just not in the cards for me. However, I still really do want that experience of joining a sisterhood, participating in traditions, and joining a lifelong network of talented and genuine women
I am posting here because I came across a few threads about alumnae initiation and the possibility of going Greek as a grad student. I want to know how these processes work and if there is anything I can or should do now to see if I can join the right organization for me after I graduate. Again, while I am sad to miss out on the undergrad experience, I have also always been interested in the post-grad Greek experience and if there is a chance to join then I would be remiss if I did not try.
A couple details about my situation: I am a legacy for ZTA (my mom) though they did not have a chapter at my school and as I said before I never really fit with the chapters we do have. Can anyone comment on their policy for grad students or alumnae initiation? If I can't have the undergrad experience I would certainly love to continue a family tradition (my aunt was also a zeta) in my adult life. Of course I would also be interested in other national organizations particularly with active alumnae involvement!
Thank you in advance for any advice you may be able to offer

Last edited by Embeedancer; 04-26-2014 at 11:31 PM.
Old 04-26-2014, 12:51 PM

It's alumnae initiation, not induction.

You were offered a chance to be Greek. You turned it down. Sorry, but in my opinion, that doesn't make you a good candidate for AI.
Old 04-26-2014, 12:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embeedancer View Post
I am currently a sophomore at a private university with a small Greek community. I participated in rush twice, the first time not accepting a bid as I did not feel I fit in with that particular group, and the second being completely cut halfway through. I very much wanted Greek life to be a part of my undergrad experience after seeing how positive my parents relationships still are with their brothers/sisters, and hearing about the traditions. However, I have come to realize that Greek life at my college is not the same as it was for my parents at their large state school. The fact that my recommendations meant little here and many other factors have led me to realize that going Greek as an undergrad is just not in the cards for me. However, I still really do want that experience of joining a sisterhood, participating in traditions, and joining a lifelong network of talented and genuine women
I am posting here because I came across a few threads about alumnae induction and the possibility of going Greek as a grad student. I want to know how these processes work and if there is anything I can or should do now to see if I can join the right organization for me after I graduate. Again, while I am sad to miss out on the undergrad experience, I have also always been interested in the post-grad Greek experience and if there is a chance to join then I would be remiss if I did not try.
A couple details about my situation: I am a legacy for ZTA (my mom) though they did not have a chapter at my school and as I said before I never really fit with the chapters we do have. Can anyone comment on their policy for grad students or alumnae induction? If I can't have the undergrad experience I would certainly love to continue a family tradition (my aunt was also a zeta) in my adult life. Of course I would also be interested in other national organizations particularly with active alumnae involvement!
Thank you in advance for any advice you may be able to offer
It sounds like you really want the undergrad sorority experience, the traditions, events bonding occurs in college typically. Yes alumni involvement is enjoyable and special in its own way, but it's nothing like the "typical" undergrad Greek experience.

If yyou're so interested in being a ZTA member ask your mom and aunt for help.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Much of your parents' alumnae/i involvement that you seem to be looking for is really an extension of the college experience (positive relationships with collegiate sisters, talking about traditions and old memories, etc.)

The alumnae experience is very, very different. In my opinion, there are far fewer opportunities to make the kinds of friendships and memories in an alumna role that you seem to be looking for. Plenty of alumnae chapters have websites that you can, and should, look through to get an idea of the programming and experience.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Generally speaking, AI is not something that is "pursued" by the candidate but rather she is pursued by the local members of the organization due to various reasons - the biggest one because there is a need for alumnae where a collegiate chapter exists such as a small town with a college that has a Greek system. And I agree with the previous posters who stated that the experience is entirely different from the collegiate one.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

You have to be an undergrad to join ZTA. Alumnae initiation is very rare in ZTA.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:05 PM
GreekChat Member

LABlonde's and Nanners' posts are spot-on, OP. What you are seeing with your family's reminiscences are exactly that: "Remember when ...." Or "Did your chapter do this?". For AIs who do not have a collegiate experience, the connection is typically established through advising a local chapter or as a mother who supports and connects with her daughter's chapter or a blood sister who knows her sister's sorority sisters. In sum, the connection pre-exists initiation.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Not all sororities' requirements are as strict when it comes to alumna initiation. I know quite a few women who pursued membership in DZ after college. Either their greek community just wasn't a good fit while they were in college or other factors prevented them from being able to join as an undergrad.

While they are not getting the undergrad experience, they are very involved and thoroughly enjoying their membership in DZ as an alumna initiate. I think it depends a lot on where you are and what you're looking for. One thing for DZ, even as an alumna initiate (except the honorary ones that are asked to join for various reasons and usually initiated at convention) you are supposed to complete the same new member program as undergraduate women.
Faith
That I may walk truly in the light of the Flame."
Old 05-02-2014, 06:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embeedancer View Post
I am posting here because I came across a few threads about alumnae initiation and the possibility of going Greek as a grad student. I want to know how these processes work and if there is anything I can or should do now to see if I can join the right organization for me after I graduate. Again, while I am sad to miss out on the undergrad experience, I have also always been interested in the post-grad Greek experience and if there is a chance to join then I would be remiss if I did not try.
Can you explain what you mean by this? Can you explain what you mean by the "post-grad Greek experience"?

ETA: It seems that you had your chance by giving up the bid you received last year. Perhaps that was part of the reason you were dropped this year? How did you handle that? Were you public in your disappointment? Did you speak out against the Greek population or the recruitment experience, vow to create your own sorority, etc.?

Lastly, AI experience is NOTHING like collegiate experience.

If you are just finishing your sophomore year, surely you've have the chance to look at other ways to fill your time, meet people, establish bonds, and have shared experiences; and you have at least two more years to do the same.

Last edited by ree-Xi; 05-02-2014 at 06:29 PM.