GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,127
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, asamathattso539
» Online Users: 1,432
2 members and 1,430 guests
indygphib, Sarak24034

Old 03-04-2012, 05:02 PM
GreekChat Member

You know what? I've lived all over this country and what I've found is that the GREEK system is strong in a lot of places. From New York to California, from Wisconsin to Texas and back home to Florida.

Some of the groups I've seen mentioned in this thread are indeed stronger in some states than others. Some of the groups mentioned are part of campus life. That seems to be the best way to phrase it.

At the end of the day we're all fond of our group and have great memories of our collegiate days. This "strong" and "best" business belongs on that silly site that shall not be named.

Also, this southern lifelong thing is over-rated. It was over with Grandma. All it does is bring a smile to someone's face when you find out that you were part of the same GLO. Since I lived all over the country, I can say that with certainty.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:07 PM
GreekChat Member

[QUOTE=ASTalumna06;2129835]

AST also has A LOT of chapters in PA. I think nearly a third of our chapters are located in the state.

I agree, AST is at a lot of PA schools. I think this makes sense though because both of our sororities were once Association of Education sororities and therefore both would be at schools that were once teacher colleges (i.e. many Pennsylvania schools).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
But mostly I'd like to see us back at all 12 of the Big 10 schools. (It's 12 now, right?) We have been at all of them at one time or another.
It's 12 now. And Alpha Xi is already at Indiana, Purdue, Penn State, University of Illinois, Ohio State, Iowa, and University of Nebraska- Lincoln. There's just U of Minnesota- Twin Cities, U of Wisconsin- Madison, Michigan State, Michigan, and Northwestern to go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAblondeGPhi View Post
I'm not sure that any organizations really have a "stronghold" in CA based on TriDeltSallie's example of Chi Omega in Arkansas. There are a lot of organizations with many strong chapters in California, and you can't just compare 10 chapters in CA to 10 chapters in Georgia - the populations and number of universities are very different for those states. You really need to consider density vs. raw numbers.

ETA: For Example, Alpha Phi has 23 chapters in California (DG has 19, Theta and Gamma Phi each have 18, etc.). Now compare that to Phi Mu's 10 chapters in the state of Louisiana, when the next most prolific organizations have 4 chapters each.

Then you also have to take into consideration the prestige and size of the University, the strength/size/prestige of the overall Greek life at the University, and the strength of the chapter at that University. I think it's very misleading for us to look at a map and declare strongholds without really knowing the situation in that area.

Anyway, Greek life isn't the same in California as it is in the South. It's not as big a deal post-graduation, and which organization you were a member of will have very little influence on your career or social standing in your community (aside from the obvious alumnae connections and leadership skills developed, but that's different from influence/reputation based soley on WHICH organization you joined).
Agree to all of this. That's why I struggle with saying that PA is a 'stronghold' for Sigma, because being Greek here just isn't the same as being Greek in the South, especially after college, IMO.

Last edited by psusue; 03-04-2012 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Apparently I cannot count.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Speaking of strongholds as well as 'Southern' Greek Life, I wonder if the conference realignment could do anything to alter the Greek environment at Mizzou. With PNMs who would have chosen a pre-alignment SEC school, deciding to go to Mizzou. I know they already have a huge Greek community there, and Sorority recruitment is thriving and pretty competitive (in the 'Southern' sense of the word). And as for active chapters, the campus does have all the GLO's associated with the South.

A part from the Greek community at USC being traditionally very strong and 'Southern' in a lot of ways, I've always wondered if the fact that Texas has the largest out-of-state population here, and perhaps that has influenced the way the Greek community at SC has developed in recent years.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:35 PM
GreekChat Member

[QUOTE=psusue;2129922]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post

AST also has A LOT of chapters in PA. I think nearly a third of our chapters are located in the state.

I agree, AST is at a lot of PA schools. I think this makes sense though because both of our sororities were once Association of Education sororities and therefore both would be at schools that were once teacher colleges (i.e. many Pennsylvania schools).

It's 12 now. And Alpha Xi is already at Indiana, Purdue, Penn State, University of Illinois, Ohio State, Syracuse, Iowa, and University of Nebraska- Lincoln. There's just U of Minnesota- Twin Cities, U of Wisconsin- Madison, Michigan State, Michigan, and Northwestern to go!

Agree to all of this. That's why I struggle with saying that PA is a 'stronghold' for Sigma, because being Greek here just isn't the same as being Greek in the South, especially after college, IMO.
Though I have a bias regarding how much I love Syracuse University, it is not a Big 10 school. I'm assuming you were thinking of another school. In fact, Syracuse is leaving the Big East and moving to the ACC.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:53 PM
GreekChat Member

[QUOTE=als463;2129974]
Quote:
Originally Posted by psusue View Post

Though I have a bias regarding how much I love Syracuse University, it is not a Big 10 school. I'm assuming you were thinking of another school. In fact, Syracuse is leaving the Big East and moving to the ACC.
I fixed it. I guess I just thought they were Big 10 because we play them almost every year. Also, I cannot count.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:26 PM
GreekChat Member

[QUOTE=psusue;2130000]
Quote:
Originally Posted by als463 View Post

I fixed it. I guess I just thought they were Big 10 because we play them almost every year. Also, I cannot count.
With the crazy way conference re-alignment has been this year, its perfectly understandable to mix up a school's conference!
Old 03-04-2012, 10:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlum View Post

At the end of the day we're all fond of our group and have great memories of our collegiate days. This "strong" and "best" business belongs on that silly site that shall not be named.

^^^This.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes. While I can say where we have a lot of chapters, I can't say they are the chapters girls are beating down the doors to get in. I think Chi O has an unusual situation as was described above. Small state, big school, not a lot of in-state options, founding sorority chapter at a very competitive campus and not a lot of chapters at that school. That makes their density a lot stronger than just about any other scenario anyone could come up with. Even if, using Alpha Phi in California as an example, they ARE the chapter the girls are beating down the doors to get in at every one of their chapters, there are still a gazillion other schools there where they aren't represented, Greek life isn't the be all and end all of college life there, and I don't think founding chapters have the gravitas in California (a younger state) that they do in the Midwest and East. it's just a different scenario.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:40 AM
GreekChat Member

[QUOTE=psusue;2130000]
Quote:
Originally Posted by als463 View Post

Wait, what do you mean we play them every year? Does SU play PSU in basketball? I know they don't play each other every year in football which is why they made a list of some special games where PSU will go against SU (like in 2013 in NJ). I'm excited for that game--and I will be there! I'll be cheering on both teams but, when it comes to football it's PSU and basketball is SU so, we will see.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Just a thought as a non Chi-O Arkansas Resident (and I love all my panhellenic Chi-O sisters!), yes Chi Omega at the University of Arkansas is very strong and since it was founded at Arkansas and there are 3 Chi Omega chapters in Arkansas (all still active) there are LOTS of Chi Omega sisters living in all parts of the state. All the Chi Omegas I know are all classy and wonderful women. And yes, when someone says they are a member of Chi Omega in Arkansas (and specifically Psi chapter - UA) there is a level of respect as the 1979 article says.

However, I would say that it is 33 years later, and while Chi Omega is still lovely at UA - there are other houses on that campus that are FANTASTIC too! Ones that have been awarded the "top chapter" award by their perspective sororities, or have been there for over 100 years, or are newer chapters who do amazing things. I would also say that respect is earned, and not just given. In post-college life, I think it means a whole lot more what you are doing now (in regards to getting a job, being involved in community philanthropy/service organizations (jr. league/etc), etc) than what sorority you joined in college. The "aw" factor goes away pretty quickly if you don't have anything to back it up with.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
I am loving this thread! Thanks, TriDeltaSallie!
Old 03-05-2012, 09:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
You know what? I've lived all over this country and what I've found is that the GREEK system is strong in a lot of places. From New York to California, from Wisconsin to Texas and back home to Florida.

Some of the groups I've seen mentioned in this thread are indeed stronger in some states than others. Some of the groups mentioned are part of campus life. That seems to be the best way to phrase it.

Also, this southern lifelong thing is over-rated.It was over with Grandma. All it does is bring a smile to someone's face when you find out that you were part of the same GLO. Since I lived all over the country, I can say that with certainty.
WORD!
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 03-05-2012, 09:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Also, this southern lifelong thing is over-rated. It was over with Grandma. All it does is bring a smile to someone's face when you find out that you were part of the same GLO. Since I lived all over the country, I can say that with certainty.
And my lifelong experience of living in the South can say you're right, at least for my part of the South.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
And my lifelong experience of living in the South can say you're right, at least for my part of the South.
I can say that about Kentucky. Lexington & Louisville have a large Greek presence. You are likely to find other Greeks in most places, but you are just as likely to sit for an interview or meet with someone who is not Greek, and the mention of the fact you are Greek can result in weird looks or an "Oh that's nice." or "So what?" kind of reply. Unless you are a blue-blood or from a prominent/famous family in the area, being Greek doesn't carry that much weight here.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Quote:

Also, this southern lifelong thing is over-rated. It was over with Grandma.
I disagree, my friend. It was just starting with grandma.