GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,400
2 members and 1,398 guests
Titchou

Old 08-29-2002, 04:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AlphaXiAshley Send a message via AIM to AlphaXiAshley Send a message via Yahoo to AlphaXiAshley
Baylor boots frat over Playboy shoot

A fraternity was suspended from Baylor University for a year after a picture of some members -- fully clothed -- appeared in Playboy magazine.

About 50 men and four women, all students at the time, posed on a sand volleyball court, some wearing Sigma Phi Epsilon T-shirts and others waving Baylor pennants.

A student who has since graduated posed nude for another photo and used an alias. The pictures are in the October issue featuring the Big 12 conference.

Officials at Baptist-affiliated Baylor called it a salacious publication and said it runs contrary to the school's ideals. In the past, Baylor administrators have threatened to expel any student who poses for the magazine.

Larry Brumley, a university spokesman, said discipline for the students appearing in the October issue could vary. He declined to elaborate, citing federal student privacy laws.

Elizabeth Norris, a "Playboy" spokeswoman, said some fraternity members called the magazine about a month ago and asked editors not to run the picture.

Sigma Phi Epsilon members at Baylor declined to comment.
Old 08-29-2002, 06:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Hmmm my boyfriend sent me the link to the article..interesting.
Old 08-29-2002, 10:08 PM
GreekChat Member

here's the link:

http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/08/28/bay....ap/index.html
Old 08-29-2002, 11:51 PM
GreekChat Member

you're welcome Hootie

i realized it was the same article too.. but i figured maybe you wanted the link to forward it or something.
Old 08-30-2002, 11:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Does anyone know who the girl was that posed nude that is from Baylor and what sorority she is in? The article that I read in the paper said that she has graduated, but since they seem to be interested in fraternities posing, I guess they got a sorority girl to do it too. Did any of the other schools do anything to members that are in that article? There are eleven other schools involved, I think. The issue hasn't even come out yet has it?
Old 08-30-2002, 02:42 PM
GreekChat Member

According to the CNN article, "The pictures are in the October issue featuring the Big 12 conference."
Old 08-30-2002, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not quite sure if you know this or not... But most FRATERNITIES prefer you call us fraternity and not frat.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 08-30-2002, 03:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AlphaXiAshley Send a message via AIM to AlphaXiAshley Send a message via Yahoo to AlphaXiAshley
sorries

i didnt title it that was the acctual title of the peice.... you can email cnn if youd like... im jsut passing along an interesting peice of news.
Old 08-30-2002, 04:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

I saw that edition of Playgoy! Da, no big deal!

The SPE got screwed big time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Baylor Sucks! I dont know why in the Hell They were even allowed into the Big 12! Unless Money! They are not a State Type School of any kind!

These mamby pamby acidemian jerks have no clue in real life! Just their own little world in WACO they had their moment in the sun when the FBI screwed up big time!

Da so that is where Waco and Baylor is! Da!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 08-31-2002, 12:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Nobody knows what happened, if anything, to the others involved? State schools can't do anything about what people do, like this. At least that's what I think. The organizations can kick out members-but the schools can't do anything because it doesn't really have anything to do with them, or am I wrong?
Old 08-31-2002, 10:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KappaTarzan
wow... who would have thought even being fully clothed in a picture could get you in trouble...
Old 08-31-2002, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Angie2001
State schools can't do anything about what people do, like this.
Angie,

I don't know if you're right, but I suspect that there could be some actual First Amendment issues if an arm of the state government (a state supported university) tried to take this kind of action. As GreekLawGirl (I think) pointed out, the First Amendment concerns actions taken by government against a person or entity.

In the case of Baylor, being a church supported institution, the dynamics are somewhat different.

On the other hand, taking into account the "You don't tug on Superman's cape" doctrine (Jim Croce -- "You Don't Mess Around With Jim"), why would you test the will of the administration in an obviously religious setting?
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 09-05-2002, 11:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry, I've been having computer trouble, so I missed your post. Of course you are right. They were really being stupid to think that they could get away with that at a Baptist school. No one has said anything about anyone else getting into trouble with their nationals or schools. I won't ask again if no one knows, that's ok. Has the issue come out yet?
Old 09-08-2002, 10:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

AH once again the SMALL MINDS OF THE SMALL MINDED ACCEDAMIA!

I hope that the National of SPE fight this with all of the power they have!

If the school can do this to one Fraternity, they can find a way to do it to any Greek Org!

Screw Baylor's simple minded People!

They should not even be in the Big 12!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 09-08-2002, 06:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
The name is important. Most girls aren't pretty enough or have a nice enough body to be in playboy.

*shrug*

I would hate to waste my time and go to Texas checking out some random girls from some random local sorority and find them all to be fugly. Or chunky.

Yuck! *gag me*

Or worse, some sanctimonious born again Christian types that wouldn't know an original thought if it bit them on the ass. How boringly predictable. *yawn*

I have nothing against people like that mind you. Where would us wolves be without sheep?

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
Oh yeah, I heard about this. Wasn't her name Becky Jones or something?

Last edited by James; 09-08-2002 at 06:24 PM.