GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,453
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zamesyandext578
» Online Users: 2,409
0 members and 2,409 guests
No Members online

Old 05-02-2000, 02:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink GLO and Corporatism

Is it me, or more and more fraternities are turning itself from a social organization to an organization that resemble corporate America. What I mean is that in my organization, our exec board looks like an exec board of a major corporation. We have a president and five vice president. Plus numerous chairmanship that would make IBM proud. This is also a recent phenom, bout 5 or 6 yrs ago. In the past, we had a Pres, VP, Sec, Tres, and your chairs. More simple.
Maybe it's just me, but I wonder if anybody is also seeing their respective organizations moving toward corporation style of exec board. By the way, I'm quite happy, it trains the young lads the ways of running a company.

------------------
Try Not . . . Do
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-03-2000, 01:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
I agree, the prevailing trend seems to be professionalism. Different organization of officers, a better leadership philosophy (altough the training realy hasn't caught up yet), and a higher degree of accountability has contributed to a more corporate style chapter. Which is seen in differing degrees from campus to campus.

The first cause may have been fiscal responsiblity. As GLOs have become more expensive and more money conscious, so has the movement towards professionalism grown.

In my Fraternity a Risk Managment violation will get you investigated, but 60 days past due and you are automatically suspended. I have also seen more members expelled from the general Fraternitity for financial delinquency than any other reason.
Old 05-03-2000, 10:03 AM
GreekChat Member

My fraternity has a similar "corporate" structure--the Exec board is made up of the President and 4 VP's. It's kind of cool because each VP has several chairmen (social chair, rush chair, Greek relations chair) who report to him, and you can see how people "climb up the corporate ladder." For example, if someone is currently rush chairman, you know that he is in line to become VP of Membership, and the social chairmen have a good chance to become VP of Social Programs, etc. Of course, in our organizations, you get elected to these higher positions rather than promoted, which is also good...gotta have some democracy.

Another thing I like seeing is younger members serving as VP's. I don't know if other fraternities have young VP's, or if it's pretty much all juniors and seniors. For years, we have almost always had 1 or 2 sophomores serving on our Exec board, which is good because they become quality leaders of our house at a young age.