GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Chi > Chi Omega
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,564
0 members and 2,564 guests
No Members online

Old 12-19-2001, 11:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Attendance policies

Hi ladies! I've recently been elected the G.H. of the Omicron Zeta chaper at Arkansas State University. The G.K.A. and I are wanting to change our attendance policy and we were hoping to get ideas from different chapters. Any ideas would really be appreciated. I hope to hear from someone soon!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-19-2001, 11:49 PM
GreekChat Member

What exactly are you wanting to change? Attendance to meetings, functions, community services?

I think that attendance for meeting is set by Nationals and can't be changed. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I thought an active member was allowed 2 abscences per semester - 1 excused and 1 non excused. At least this is the policy for my chapter!

BTW - Welcome to Greek Chat!

Chi Omega Forum Co-Moderator,
Hootie (Amy)
Old 12-20-2001, 12:57 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm mainly interested in attendance for things like socials and philanthropies. Our policy for meetings is that you get one unexcused per semester. What we've been doing for all other events is that the chapter is divided into three teams (cardinal, owl, and straw). Two teams are assigned to every event. If a person who is assigned to the event cannot go, they can find a member on the team that is not assigned to go for them. For example, if cardinal and straw are assigned to the Sigma Chi drop in, they must find an owl who can go for them. The members get one unexcused abscence per semester, and work and school are excused but we encourage members to find someone to go for them. Other sororities use a points system or assign events according to age (seniors have to go to so many events, juniors so many, etc.). We were just wanting to know what other chapters did and how successful it was. Our system works; we are just a little tired of it and we want to motivate everyone to be more active! Thanks for the reply!
Old 12-20-2001, 11:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Hi again!
You are not alone with that Cardinal Straw system. My chapter does the same thing (but no Owl group). It's rather aggrivating though because every semester the list changes and our executive board DOESN'T allow work as an excuse. So for someone like me, who works full time, it's as if I am always on the list they choose to go and having to find a replacement.
I like the idea of a point system although you'd really have to be specific about what you'll allow as an absence and not. Not too mention what you'll do for those who just aren't attending the events. I know in my chapter you get a personnel, and then they usually dismiss you after warning you. Perhaps you could make the individual do an extra community service?!?!
One other idea that our PANHELLENIC does, is impose a 25 rule, in which if Panhellenic holds an event, such as a speaker, 25 women from each chapter must be present. And if the chapter doesn't fulfill that they are fined. So maybe you could use that sort of thing for your chapter and simply ask for 25 volunteers and remind ladies that they must attend however many events. And for those that wait until the end of the semester to try to get in their "25 event" they are responsible...
I could see this system working because then people would be more likely to attend events that they really wanted. Although I don't know what to tell you about those events that people don't really like...
Hope this all makes sense!
Hootie
Old 12-20-2001, 12:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to Sue_XO Send a message via Yahoo to Sue_XO
I might seem strong but what finally worked for us were fines. No one really complained and we did get a ton more participation, especially from the girls who would go home every weekend.
Old 12-20-2001, 12:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to Sue_XO Send a message via Yahoo to Sue_XO
P.S.- Welcome chiochick! Glad you found us within Greek Chat! Looking forward to hearing more from you and your chapter!

xo love, Sue
Old 04-21-2002, 09:52 PM
GreekChat Member

My chapter has been having problems lately with attendance to philanthropies etc. People would sign up but then not come or they would leave early and stuff like that. So we decided to do the cardinal and straw teams as well (and might add a third on: white carnation) so it will go in effect this term. that means half of our house, say cardinal team, will be in charge of going to a particular event while the other team must go to another one. If you can't go then you have to get someone to replace you so that there is at least a 50% attendance at all events. I think its a good idea and i hope it works. Im glad to hear about how other chapters have dealt with it and this seems to be a popular, effective method. .
Old 04-26-2002, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Attendence is always a hard thing to deal with. Our chapter is currently discussing going to a point system just because it gives people more choice as well as more accountability. If they choose to go to an educational speaker that would obviously be worth more points than a fun event such as a Greek Week activity, but then people could still have the choice of the fun event. They also then have more flexibility to work around their own schedules. Also if we make an event mandatory we set it at least 2 weeks in advance because most people have to turn in work excuses two weeks prior. In order to make sure people attended those "less fun" events you could send around a sign up sheet at chapter and have people fill it out if they were planning to go. Only so many people could go to that event and receive the points for it-once the list was full you could go, but no points would be received. This way you always know how many people will be at each event and it will guarantee that you have the required amount for PanHellenic. If someone were to sign up and then not attend they would lose points due to the fact that they had prevented another person from being able to sign up (being that the list was full.) Everyone would get a list at the beginning of the semester which said what events were worth what amount of points and how many points were required to go to certain events so they would be aware well ahead of time. If new opportunities came up during the semester they could be announced in addition (just make sure you had enough opportunity for everyone to get the necessary amount of points.) People without their certain number of points could not attend social events.

Fining unfortunately is limited to only 2 events a year (for most chapter recruitment and initiation.) I believe this is a national rule.

It sounds like a hard thing to implement-but I think once it was done it would become understood.