GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,253
1 members and 1,252 guests
ajanessshulze31

Old 09-11-2017, 08:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Kaepernick's frat (Kappa Alpha Psi) and players protest on 1st NFL Sunday

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireSto...unday-49752407

Quote:
Colin Kaepernick's protest movement rolled on without him Sunday, as his fraternity marched in Detroit and players around the NFL sat or knelt during the national anthem.

Kaepernick remains unsigned after opting out of his contract with the 49ers. His supporters believe he's being punished for protesting police brutality by refusing to stand during the national anthem last season.

About 50 members of the Kappa Alpha Psi alumni chapter in Detroit marched about a mile Sunday in a peaceful protest that ended just outside Ford Field, where the Lions hosted the Arizona Cardinals.

"When you look at some of the recent incidents like what happened to Michael Bennett in Las Vegas , it validates the stance that Colin Kaepernick has taken," said Eric Brown, a former president of the fraternity's alumni chapter in Detroit.

Brown said Kappa Alpha Psi planned to have similar gatherings in Dallas and Atlanta before future NFL games.

@~/~~~~
Old 09-12-2017, 11:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JonInKC
And then there are those that believe that Sackorpick is not a particularly good quarterback. Especially damning is the fact that the Cleveland Browns and other teams with questions at the quarterback position don't want him, at least not for the money he expects.

p a w e a since 1899

Last edited by JonInKC; 09-12-2017 at 11:44 AM.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:53 AM
GreekChat Member

If guys like Dan Orlovsky, Ryan Mallett, Blake Bortles, Keith Wenning (who??), and Scott Tolzien are all on rosters and being considered to start for NFL teams over Kaepernick, maybe it's not the level of QB play that's keeping him from being signed...
Old 09-13-2017, 07:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
If guys like Dan Orlovsky, Ryan Mallett, Blake Bortles, Keith Wenning (who??), and Scott Tolzien are all on rosters and being considered to start for NFL teams over Kaepernick, maybe it's not the level of QB play that's keeping him from being signed...

There are teams that wanted to sign him, but not for the money he expected. He feels entitled to a certain amount of money. 32 NFL teams disagree.

p a w e a since 1899

Last edited by JonInKC; 09-13-2017 at 07:56 AM.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:01 AM
GreekChat Member

http://cornerpubsports.com/2017/08/f...in-kaepernick/

For just about a calendar year, former San Francisco quarterback Colin Kaepernick has been a hot-button topic among NFL news. As he searches for his next opportunity, it seems to be the popular opinion that he remains unsigned because, as part of a public protest, he was kneeling during the National Anthem last season.
The REAL reason he’s unemployed, however, is nothing more complicated than …
Colin Kaepernick is just not a very good quarterback

At one point, Kaepernick was considered to be the of the brightest up and coming talents in the league. He provided an offensive spark that helped the 49ers to the Super Bowl in 2012, losing to the Baltimore Ravens. San Francisco invested in Kaepernick, signing him to potentially lucrative contract. Kaepernick has been in steady decline ever since. His poor play and NOT his political views is why no NFL has picked him up yet.
Supporters of Kaepernick are quick to dismiss the notion that he had a poor 2016 season. They won’t hesitate to point out he threw 16 touchdown passes against four picks.
At face-value that seems impressive. However, you need to dive a little deeper and consider a few other stats … namely, EVERY OTHER STAT.

First is probably the most glaring. Given that he started 11 games, 16 touchdown passes frankly just isn’t going to help you very much in the win column.
When it comes to pass completion percentage, according to Pro-Football-Reference.com, Kaepernick finished 26th out of 30 passers, completing 59.2 percent of his passes, behind Bills’ Tyrod Taylor and even Case Keenum of the Rams.
Kaepernick’s Quarterback Rating from ESPN of 55.2, ranks him at 23rd in the NFL. Just for perspective, that puts him behind Brock Osweiler and even Trevor Siemian.
Putting his poor pocket presence on full display, despite starting fewer games than most of starters in the league, Kaepernick finishing second in the league in percentage of times sacked when dropping back to pass. This also explains why he had the third worst “net yards” in the league (pass yards minus sack yards) for starters.
He rushed for two touchdowns, but fumbled a staggering nine times. Third in the league ranked among all quarterbacks, running backs, and wide receivers.
Last but not least, and certainly most importantly, Kaepernick had the NFL’s worst starter record in 2016 finishing at 1-10. Even his teammate, Blane Gabbert, only won one game while “only” losing four games.
The NFL is NOT stone-walling Kaepernick

Over the course of the last decade, if the NFL has gone out of its way to prove anything, its that it has exactly two priorities … winning and money.
For example:
Michael Vick was sentenced to 23 months in federal prison in 2007 for running a “cruel and inhumane” dogfighting ring and lying about it.
In early 2000, Ray Lewis was arrested for two counts of first-degree murder after he was involved in a brawl that led to the stabbing and death of one of the people involved. Lewis ended up pleading guilty to obstruction of justice and the charges were dropped. He admitted to misleading police with his statements and the suit he was wearing during the fight was never found.
Donte Stallworth pled guilty to vehicular manslaughter charges. Stallworth admitted to being under the influence at the time of the accident and ended up serving 24 days in prison and a one-year suspension from the NFL.
Adam “Pac-Man” Jones has a rap-sheet a mile long. He’s been arrested at least nine times since being drafted in 2005. He’s beat up strippers, bodyguards (his own) and other nightclub patrons. The most intense of his strip club incidents ended in a gun fight that left one man paralyzed. He served a one year suspension in 2007.
Each one of these players was reinstated into the league after serving their league-mandated time away from football. The common denominator between each? They could all still contribute at a high level. Vick and Jones went onto make a pro-bowl appearance. Ray Lewis might have actually killed a guy and he’s on the ballot to be enshrined in Canton OH in the Football Hall of Fame. Even Donte Stallworth went onto play in the league another 4 years after his suspension.
In light of the list of players above, it seems ridiculous that the NFL would then choose Colin Kaepernick as the player they felt the need to stone-wall out of football. Clearly, if he had the ability to play the position, he would have a job.
If the NFL really wanted to, given the leverage owners and the league has over its players, Kaepernick would have been cut during the last preseason when his protest began, or during the season.
If Tom Brady or Cam Newton took a knee, they’d still be playing because the two have shown greatness in recent years, Kaepernick hasn’t. Since he didn’t cost the NFL money, but hasn’t won much in the last few years, it’s pretty obvious why he’s unemployed.
There HAVE been job offers for Kaepernick

This idea that every team in the league is conspiring to freeze Kapernick into retirement is pure fiction. Since the end of last season, several teams, including the Browns, Ravens, Seahawks and Dolphins, have reportedly reached out to the San Francisco signal caller.
Before the last draft, the Browns were reportedly close to completing a trade for the San Fran QB. Cleveland supposedly offered the 49ers its third-round pick, No. 65 overall. According to Matt Barrow of the Sacramento Bee however:
“He was wary of taking a lower-money deal on a bad team that is losing talent and that may also use its first-round pick, No. 2 overall, on a quarterback.”
In the interest of fairness, given that Cleveland has been a quarterback graveyard for almost two decades, I don’t entirely blame him for passing on this one. The opportunity was still there, however.
Two weeks ago, Ravens owner Steve Biscotti confirmed he was interested in acquiring Kaepernick to back-up starter, Joe Flacco. After Ravens alum Ray Lewis posted a cryptic video telling Kaepernick to focus on football, not activism, Kaepernick’s girlfriend Nessa Diab compared Lewis and Biscotti to a slave and master. Needless to say, negotiations then came to a grinding halt.
The Dolphins were in desperate need of a QB after Ryan Tannehill suffered a season ending injury and considered Kaepernick. When head coach Adam Gase had the opportunity to sign Jay Cutler, however, the former Chicago Bears familiarity with his former coach’s offensive system made him a far better fit than Kaepernick.
Back in late May, Seattle was so interested in Colin Kaepernick that they brought him in for an on-site workout. Despite being impressed with his performance, Seahawks head coach Pete Caroll stated the next week the team could not sign him because he’s a “starter.”
“We have a starter,” Caroll stated before declining to answer questions on Kaepernick’s salary demands. “But he is a starter in this league and I can’t imagine somebody won’t give him a chance to play.”
The insinuation is clear. Kaepernick still considers himself a starter and doesn’t want to play the role of a deep back-up.
Kaepernick will likely catch on with a team. Coaches just can’t help themselves when it comes to quarterback reclamation projects. This late in the off season however, Kaepernick may need to follow the same path that Michael Vick did when he signed with the Eagles. Take a job as a third string, work hard, and wait for your opportunity. It would seem Kaepernick needs to humble himself and more firmly re-evaluate both his current situation and his own personal responsibility for it.
As much as ESPN would want you to believe otherwise, there’s no conspiracy here.

p a w e a since 1899

Last edited by JonInKC; 09-13-2017 at 08:07 AM.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:31 AM
GreekChat Member

I can't say I'm too familiar with the details of the situation, but I am wondering how his actions may or may not have affected his role as a team leader, and overall team morale and focus?

It's his personal decision to take the stance that he has, and I respect him for that, but it's also possible that other teams are wondering about how his actions would divert attention away from their primary purpose -- football and winning and money, as JonInKC says. It could be any cause -- not just this one -- and if a team member's on-the-field actions are diverting the focus of the team and "causing a distraction," then I think that's one of the things management and coaching staff would consider. i could see that being a concern, no matter what the issue is and whether the team management and coaching staff share the stance and opinion of the player or not.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInKC View Post

There are teams that wanted to sign him, but not for the money he expected. He feels entitled to a certain amount of money. 32 NFL teams disagree.
How much money is he expecting?

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 09-13-2017, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Kapercrap beat out Alex Smith who is now Q B for The Chiefs who stomped all over The Patriots. Time will tell of course, but smith has been good things for K C!
While it is his right to protest, to me, he is spitting on the bodies of our military who fought and died for that right.

Just my thoughts and I stand by them!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 09-14-2017, 10:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
How much money is he expecting?
If you had a team, how much would you spend to sign a quarterback with the stats above?

p a w e a since 1899
Old 09-14-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
If you had a team, how much would you spend to sign a quarterback with the stats above?
Don't move the goal post. You stated that "There are teams that wanted to sign him, but not for the money he expected. He feels entitled to a certain amount of money. 32 NFL teams disagree." This implies that you know how much money he is asking for his services. So, how much is he asking?

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 09-14-2017, 01:53 PM
GreekChat Member

It seems that there is always a question of money when it comes to Pro Sports!

These people are paid more in 1-2 years than any of us can ever make in our life time. Granted, they are talented and have short careers, more so than we peons, but soon, enough is enough. Pro sports are losing fans by the handfuls. WHY, because WE do not feel sorry for them as they whine so much at times! Okay, not all but those who think they can be better than Joe/Jane smo who pay to watch them play. Yes, they like T V/Movie people have platforms to speak and upsets people but, there needs to be called a halt at what some do! Disrespect is not in my wheel house!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 09-15-2017, 08:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
Don't move the goal post. You stated that "There are teams that wanted to sign him, but not for the money he expected. He feels entitled to a certain amount of money. 32 NFL teams disagree." This implies that you know how much money he is asking for his services. So, how much is he asking?
Ok, I won't move the goal post. Kaepernick obviously can't reach it where it is anyway. Winners in the NFL, just like winners in other aspects in life, don't need narratives.

p a w e a since 1899

Last edited by JonInKC; 09-15-2017 at 09:11 AM.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I'm not sure stats tell you everything you need to know about any given QB. His stats are only reflective of the talent around him. Take Sam Bradford for example. If you looked at his stats in St. Louis, you'd probably conclude he was not a good QB. Of course, he had very few weapons and a terrible OL. Look at him now lighting things up for the Vikings.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 09-15-2017, 11:59 AM
GreekChat Member

One more loss and the Colts need to sign him.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Ok, I won't move the goal post. Kaepernick obviously can't reach it where it is anyway. Winners in the NFL, just like winners in other aspects in life, don't need narratives.
So you have no real knowledge to back up your comments about Kaepernick wanting more money than the owners were willing to pay?

By the way, to your little snarky comment about Kaepernick not being able to reach the goal post; I decided to look at Kaepernick's stats versus the stats of Troy Aikman (who is considered very successful in the NFL). I used ESPN as my source.

Aikman played 165 games over 12 seasons (13.75 average). Kaepernick played 69 over 6 seasons (11.5 average).

Completions: Aikman average 17.5; Kaepernick average 14.6

Attempts: Aikman ave. 28.6; Kaepernick ave. 24.5

Completions: Aikman 61.5%; Kaepernick 59.8%

Yards: Aikman ave. 199.6; Kaepernick 177.8

Touchdowns: Aikman ave. 1 per game; Kaepernick 1.04 per game

Passing Touchdowns: Aikman- 1 per game; Kaepernick 1.04 per game

Rushing TDs: Aikman- 9 in 12 seasons; Kaepernick- 13 in 6 seasons

Rushing Stats?

Aikman- 165 games, 327 attempts with 1016 total yards.

Kaepernick - 69 games, 375 attempts with 2300 total yards.

In any way shape and form, except for his first year when he only played 3 games and admittedly sucked, Colin Kaepernick held his own as a QB with one of the best. Are there some QBs who were/are better than Kaepernick? Yes. Are there some who are worse? Yes.

So, please don't be like other people who all of a sudden want to pretend that Colin Kaepernick was some kind of bad QB. Like all QBs, he had good games and bad games. Not getting hired by an NFL team, in my opinion, has nothing to do with his supposed lack of skill.