GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Lambda > Lambda Chi Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,458
0 members and 2,458 guests
No Members online

Old 09-17-2002, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

MCG? What??

Oh, brother, I guess the brain cells WERE corrupted...I think I should say "MCR".

ZAX,
BF
BOZ 130

"People the world over have always been more impressed by the power of our example than by the example of our power."
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-18-2002, 04:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Cant say when MCR came into beign at LX Z but of course it was after me!! No remarks Steve and Andy!

It was the greatest thing I ever had seen Brothers do! It was not long till they had me up doing teh MCR!

Greatest ever was when a Nev Judge did Break Dancing in the center in A Tux Yet!!!!!!!!! Laffed my butt off!

He was an original member of teh Local! This was Last Year, go figure!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 09-19-2002, 04:11 AM
GreekChat Member

This is pretty funny-I had no idea that Magic Carpet Ride was an International LXA thing. My brother, who's a LXA at UCF, plays that song over and over again.
Old 10-07-2002, 03:55 AM
GreekChat Member

The song definitely has something to do with the ritual although it's very hard to figure out unless you are an LXA! One of my friends is a Lambda Chi and has hinted to me that the ritual is connected to that song, and that his brothers made the pledges try to guess every day at the ritual up until initiation.

Anyway he said ritual was very cool and the song made sense once he went through it but told me I would never guess in a million years what it was and he was never going to tell me. That's fine for me! He once told me that the writers of the song in question did get kicked out by nationals after penning those lyrics.
Old 10-07-2002, 10:55 AM
GreekChat Member

MCR ad infinitum

If the International HQ isn't pleased by the song, then they probably wouldn't even acknowledge it. However, this year @ the General Assembly in Denver they did a photo montage of convention events while the song was played. Imagine, John Tesh being connected to MCR!

"People the world over have always been more impressed by the power of our example than by the example of our power."
Old 10-07-2002, 01:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: MCR ad infinitum

Quote:
Originally posted by boz130
If the International HQ isn't pleased by the song, then they probably wouldn't even acknowledge it. However, this year @ the General Assembly in Denver they did a photo montage of convention events while the song was played. Imagine, John Tesh being connected to MCR!
That's why I don't think there could be any truth to the songwriter being a lambda chi and being kicked out. I talked to an ELC about it one time, and he broke it down for me. It's just one of those things, where if you look for coincidences, they seem to be there.
Old 11-02-2002, 01:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AXiDBlinkfan
Cool El Paso Chapter Does It As Well...

OUR "UNOFFICIAL" BIG BROS, THE LAMBDA CHI'S HERE IN EL PASO, DO THE SAME DAMN THING HERE! ONCE AT A PARTY, THEY GOT TOGETHER ALL AROUND US ALPHA XI'S IN A CIRCLE AND SANG THEY'RE "SONG" TO US... WE ALL WONDERED WHAT KINDA CONOTATION THAT SONG HAS, BUT I GUESS WE'LL NEVER KNOW HUH? HEHE. IF YOU ALL CAN TELL ME THAT'D BE GREAT. IF NOT, OH WELL WE'LL FIND OUT ONE WAY OR THE OTHER....

LAMBDA CHI'S ARE SWEETHEARTS HERE IN EL PASO!
Old 11-02-2002, 10:55 AM
GreekChat Member

which version?

What I wanna know is..

Which version do you all know/play at your parties?

The original Steppenwolf version, which is awesome in itself, or the 90's remix version by Philip Steir - it was in the movie "Go!" (LOVE that soundtrack...)
Old 11-03-2002, 12:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Mooch279
Thumbs up

we use which ever is on hand. bottom line its just a great song
University of Maryland, Baltimore County '02
FD 279
Old 11-04-2002, 09:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Beta Epsilon chapter *always* uses the original version
Old 11-15-2002, 02:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LCA PD 306
Its always been my favorite parts of events we have. My gf, a Phi Mu here, is tiny and she always looks like she's seen a ghost when we all jump around when the song is on, because she thinks she is gonna get crushed.
I remember in Aimes, Iowa last summer for the national leadership conference, at Iowa State Univ, in 2001 they played it during a photo montage and everyone sung along, all 450+ of us.

The part about a famous brother being kicked out and not being recognized by IHQ; Kenny Chesney, country superstar, was a brother and he still isnt recognized by IHQ or in the Pedagogus because he owed back dues..........hehehe

Its good to see all the girls think we are the sweethearts at each school........lets keep it up gentlemen!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-27-2002, 10:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to chopper816
Quote:
Originally posted by LCA PD 306
Its always been my favorite parts of events we have. My gf, a Phi Mu here, is tiny and she always looks like she's seen a ghost when we all jump around when the song is on, because she thinks she is gonna get crushed.
I remember in Aimes, Iowa last summer for the national leadership conference, at Iowa State Univ, in 2001 they played it during a photo montage and everyone sung along, all 450+ of us.

The part about a famous brother being kicked out and not being recognized by IHQ; Kenny Chesney, country superstar, was a brother and he still isnt recognized by IHQ or in the Pedagogus because he owed back dues..........hehehe

Its good to see all the girls think we are the sweethearts at each school........lets keep it up gentlemen!!!!!!!!!!!
I LOVE KENNY CHESNEY!!!!! you gotta be kidding me?!?! hes a brother?!?! thats awesome, hes my favorite country star ever! howd you find that out?
Old 12-05-2002, 02:10 PM
GreekChat Member

re: "...find coincidences if you look hard"

Ever listen to "Carry On Wayward Son", "Dust in the Wind",
"Point of No Return" and esp. "Fight Fire with Fire" by the
band Kansas????

Once heard the urban myth that members of Kansas were
kicked out of LXA, and their former membership denied by
nationals, for publishing "Carry on Wayward Son".

Listen to "Fight Fire with Fire"...there's an part that starts
with an "evil laugh"...followed by an almost imperceptible
statement....turn down the base, etc. on your stereo and
figure out the phrase that is spoken...might surprise you!

Oh, and to fit on this thread, the Gtown College chapter
does the MCR thing too!
Old 12-05-2002, 02:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chopper816

I LOVE KENNY CHESNEY!!!!! you gotta be kidding me?!?! hes a brother?!?! thats awesome, hes my favorite country star ever! howd you find that out?
Hes on the website from one of those chapters, Eastern Tennesee, Eastern Kentucky...something like that. I saw it a few months back.

I dont think the GF does't recognize him. I am sure hes been in the C&C a couple of times, but buried in the back. I think their standard of fame is somewhat arbitrary. Thy'll give Order of Achievement to a brother who discovered soem chemical, but not to one of the biggest country music acts. Go figure.

Our GHZ...always in step with popular culture, technology and todays undergrad.

BTW: Didnt I see on here that Jason Boland is a grad of OSU? So yeah, he's abrother too. I did see it on their (OSU's) chap. web site.

Last edited by lifesaver; 12-05-2002 at 03:07 PM.
Old 12-09-2002, 10:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Steppenwolf vs. Steir Remix

I really like the remix version, however it just doesn't have the same long instrumental section which is so useful for throwing your brothers head first into the air!

BREAK THE CEILING!

As far as the significance of the song, sorry ladies but you'll just never know