GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,284
2 members and 2,282 guests
Cookiez17

Old 11-05-2014, 09:10 PM
GreekChat Member

IU PNM Numbers

Does anyone know how many girls signed up for IU recruitment that begins in January? My daughter has signed up and I'm nervous for her. I've read about the bed rush situation and how girls could go through, maximize their options and still not get a bid because there are too few beds vs interested girls. I'd hate for her to get her heart broken. BUT I can't keep her from every disappointment in life and it's her choice. I can only tell her what I read and encourage her to be true to herself, accept anything that might come her way and hope for the best. Just curious if another record number of girls have signed up. Thanks for any info.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-05-2014, 09:12 PM
GreekChat Member

IU Panhellenic should release that information. They did last year via twitter.
Old 11-09-2014, 06:05 PM
GreekChat Member

My daughter said she had heard more than 2100 had registered but that's just rumor I guess until Panhel announces. Thank you, I will watch Twitter.
Old 11-09-2014, 06:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, there are between 2100 and 2200 women registered at IU. I spoke with an active from one of the chapters yesterday at the football game. She is on the recruitment team for her chapter and she confirmed the information.
Old 11-09-2014, 06:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap View Post
Yes, there are between 2100 and 2200 women registered at IU. I spoke with an active from one of the chapters yesterday at the football game. She is on the recruitment team for her chapter and she confirmed the information.

Is that the biggest in the country now?
Old 11-09-2014, 07:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post

it won't be in terms of # of women placed

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06
Old 11-09-2014, 07:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post

No. Alabama is still the biggest. I think we had 2300 this year. Would have to double check for exact number.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:00 PM
GreekChat Member

And I'm putting it out there right now. If you want to improve your odds of getting a match at the end, try to keep at least 2 chapters on your list that are known to take large pledge classes. Not because they are less selective but because your odds are simply better at a match and because they more closely use RFM as it is intended (quota additions).

And a friendly reminder that IU is like NO OTHER SCHOOL where it comes to rush. Having a great rush with all the most competitive chapters through to the end is not necessarily the best thing. If you get matched, awesome. But there is no guarantee you will get matched. Steel yourself against this possibility right now. Hope for the best but be realistic about your chances. About half the girls going through rush will get placed.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Are there 3 unhoused chapters now? I'm thinking the unhoused chapters are ASA, Dphie, and Theta Phi. How do these chapters decide the size of their pledge classes?
Old 11-09-2014, 10:46 PM
GreekChat Member

with so many PNM's going bidless, why doesn't IU change from a bed rush to RFM? I guess I just don't understand the whole bed rush thing. All I "see" is disappointment for over 1000 girls who won't be considered because there aren't enough "beds". Do SEC schools have such a high number of bidless women?

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 11-09-2014, 10:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Read back through the 80 bazillion posts on this issue. The answer is because that's how they want it.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUADPi View Post
with so many PNM's going bidless, why doesn't IU change from a bed rush to RFM? I guess I just don't understand the whole bed rush thing. All I "see" is disappointment for over 1000 girls who won't be considered because there aren't enough "beds". Do SEC schools have such a high number of bidless women?
SEC schools, even with enormous numbers of PNMs that go through recruitment, generally place 85-90+ percent of women that rush. At Ole Miss, fall pledge classes are often more than 100 girls, but we do an outstanding job of placing girls that want to be in a sorority.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Texas A&M (an SEC school) has had a rule (every year before this year) that if you make it to pref night, you'll be guaranteed a bid. So many girls rushed this year that they had to turn girls away, not anywhere near 1/2 of the girls (that's crazy) but some. I'd imagine the numbers this year were similar to what thetalady said, 85-90+% and a lot of snap bids.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaider16 View Post
Texas A&M (an SEC school) has had a rule (every year before this year) that if you make it to pref night, you'll be guaranteed a bid. So many girls rushed this year that they had to turn girls away, not anywhere near 1/2 of the girls (that's crazy) but some. I'd imagine the numbers this year were similar to what thetalady said, 85-90+% and a lot of snap bids.
That guarantee is a result of NPC's RFM procedures, not an A & M specific one. So that attending pref and signing a bid card is a guarantee that you will get a bid to one of the groups whose pref you attended. Well, unless, of course, one strips or shows up drunk or high to pref...that can get you dropped. but all things being equal, you'll be one someone's bid list no matter what school you attend. No one was "turned away" due to the numbers. Women are released due to grade and other "considerations." And of course, there are always those women who drop out, even on Bid Day, for various reasons. But Indiana is the only school with a bed quota that requires so many women to be released due to lack of space.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:08 AM
GreekChat Member

And the question I continue to ask regarding bed rush at Indiana is "how do the participating NPC chapters' headquarters/leadership justify this practice for one campus only?" Because it appears to me that all are condoning the practice, since it continues.

No one here can answer that question.