GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 853
0 members and 853 guests
No Members online

Old 08-22-2013, 07:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low C Sharp View Post
What was Bush is now Barack.
That works much better. We always just said Obama without the O so Bama not alike Alabama, but O-bama.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 08-22-2013, 07:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCsweet<3 View Post
That works much better. We always just said Obama without the O so Bama not alike Alabama, but O-bama.
'Ballot' is a simpler politics 'B' - you don't have to change it every four years!
Old 08-23-2013, 12:45 AM
GreekChat Member

First Half of Round One!!

Y'all are too nice to me with all this encouragement! I'm grinning from ear to ear as I type this out Anyways, after a brief and scary thunderstorm today I walked over to the basketball coliseum where Round 1 is held. There were a lot of conflicts with classes because while the actual recruitment started at 5:30 we were supposed to meet our Pi Chis at 3:30, which cut into a lot of class time. Some actives of Cancer that were in my Pilates class today were discussing with each other how they were going to be late for roll call because they had class too.

We met in the seats in front of the sorority we were going to first and waited to be lined up, then got lined up, and then got counted several times to make sure we were all there. It was more of the herding thing except it was herding under the pressure of time constraints. I half wanted to clip my nametag to my ear and get it over with already Then we got cheered and chanted and shouted and clapped at until we finally went to each sorority!

NOTE: Unless otherwise noted our conversation topics were my state, my major, and the activities I was involved in this year and last year because LORD JEEBUS that was a lot of what I talked about. Not that I minded it in the slightest but I just won't write it down every time

First up was Taurus. My rec for this group was from the local alumni association. I knew a few Taurus (Tauruses? Taurii? Excuse my totally making up plural nouns as I go along here) girls from last year, but I was met by a super-adorable girl who was also a sophomore. We were both equally nervous about recruitment which made us feel a little more relaxed since we could admit it to each other. The girls who bumped her were sweet and friendly, and I felt like I could joke around and be myself around them. I wrote in my recruitment notes that I would LOVE to go back and I truly would!

We had a short break where we could gather ourselves before going off to our next group, Cancer! My rec here was from one of the guidance counselors at my high school that I found through the local alumni association. I was joking around and having a good time talking to these girls, and I felt like I really fit in here. We didn't spend all the time talking about the aforementioned topics but instead got to know each other a little better. I wrote in my notes here that I wish I could have stayed longer. I liked them just as much as I liked Taurus.

Next up was Scorpio! My rec here was also from a local alumni association (it is a blessing and a curse that New England states are so small you sometimes can and have to go to different states to find alumni). I didn't know the girl I was paired with but I was super excited when a girl I knew from my Spanish class but had never talked to came over and said hi to me! We momentarily bonded over how much we had hated the professor and I was touched that she had remembered who I was because I was genuinely not expecting it I wrote that they seemed like they really wanted to get to know me which made me feel good about them. At this point I was starting to worry that it would be impossible for me to rank the sororities tomorrow because I loved them all so much, which is the best problem to have!

After another break we went to see Sagittarius! Sagittarius is my legacy chapter through my mother and my best friend is also one, so the national organization is very near and dear to my heart. I could tell that they knew I was a legacy because the president, vice president of recruitment and someone else with a fancy title stopped by to introduce themselves to me, which made me feel important I didn't make quite as much of a connection with these girls as I did with the first three groups, but I still really liked them and would like to return to them next round.

Directly after Sagittarius was Aries. My rec was from a family friend who is a Clemson Aries. I knew the Aries I was paired with, but I didn't realize it at first. She was from the same Spanish class that the Scorpio was although I didn't talk to either of them during that class. By the time I had figured out that I knew the Aries it was too late to mention it, and she didn't seem to recognize me when we talked:/ Even still, I enjoyed myself here and would love to return if given the opportunity.

After our final break of the night during which my friend and I convinced a guy friend of ours to deliver us Moe's we got to our last party: Capricorn! My rec here was from a friend of a friend. I had the best conversations of the night here Two of my rushers were Red Sox fans, which I was wicked excited about! They had clearly done their homework about what my interests were. They were also really funny in general and made me feel super comfortable to be there. The president stopped by and said hello which made me feel like the coolest of the cool kids. I saw myself in these girls as well and really hope to see them in Round 2.

Tomorrow I have the next six groups and then I officially rank them! So never fear if your sign is not here, because I will let y'all know how it goes tomorrow. Apologies if I over-used the emoticons but I am seriously this excited about recruitment! I have loved every minute of it so far and cannot wait to go back.

IF I had to rank them tonight (but I don't! Ha! And I liked all of them! Double ha!):
Capricorn
Taurus
Cancer
Scorpio
Sagittarius
Aries

ETA: I don't remember exactly what the fifth B was but I definitely knew to avoid all of them!
Old 08-23-2013, 06:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
yay! glad to hear its going so well. Keep up the positive attitude and I'm sure you'll find a fabulous home!

ps - go Red Sox!

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06
Old 08-23-2013, 09:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Excited for you clemsongirl! Keep it up!
Old 08-24-2013, 12:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Round One Part Two

Hey all! I have to be up at 6 AM to get my schedule tomorrow so I'm going to try to get this done quickly but I had the most lovely time tonight!

First was Aquarius! I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about this sorority because I had gone to a COB event for them last semester and felt somewhat awkward and uncomfortable then, but I actually really enjoyed myself this time. I had a really funny conversation with one of the actives about building a wave pool so that we could have the ocean near campus. I didn't love them, but I certainly liked them.

The Virgos seemed like really nice girls. We weren't allowed to take our recruitment notes with us and I forgot to take a picture of my notes from this group, so I don't remember a whole ton, but I definitely had a good time. I think I met another girl who played the same high school sport as me, which was really cool. Overall, I wanted to get to know the Virgos a little better before I passed judgement on them.

Next was Gemini! I really enjoyed myself here; we totally got past the basic conversation questions and I liked the girls I talked with. The president came over and introduced herself to me at one point, and while I don't know if that means anything I thought it was pretty cool. I wrote in my notes that I would LOVE to go back!

After Gemini we went to Libra. I enjoyed talking about sisterhood and why I was interested in a sorority with some of the Libras, and I felt like each rusher made a different personal connection with me. I could really see myself there.

I had several friends in the Leos that I visited next-one girl was from my state and remembered me from when we met at the out-of-state connections group last year, which was super cool. I also got to talk with girls from Seattle and a different state in New England. One girl (I feel bad that I don't remember which one!) told me about an academic program the Leos have to support girls who have the same major, which really impressed me. I didn't feel the same spark that I did with some of the other groups, but I would still be really happy to go back here.

The last group of the night was Pisces. I was thrilled with how much I liked them! A girl with family from MY HOMETOWN came up to me because she saw my nametag and told me that she hadn't seen anyone from where I came from before, so I was super excited! She said that her entire family had gone to the local state school except for her, which I could relate with since most of my friends go to the same school. I had some great conversations with this group and really wanted to go back here.

After all the parties our Pi Chi tried to get on the internet to submit our rankings, but the wifi was so bad we had to sit outside on the steps of the stadium while she put them in because it was the only place she could get a signal. I listed:

Capricorn
Pisces
Libra
Scorpio
Cancer
Taurus
Gemini
Sagittarius
Virgo

1. Leo
2. Aquarius
3. Aries

I had a tough time deciding whether to put Virgo or Leo in my first backup spot, and I ended up switching Aquarius and Aries at the last second, but overall I felt really good about the past two nights. I'll let y'all know tomorrow morning where I'm going back to! Wish me luck!
Old 08-24-2013, 07:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Round Two Schedule

My Pi Chi didn't end up getting us our schedules until 7 AM so here's mine (out of a maximum nine parties)!

Gemini
Aquarius
Leo
Sagittarius
Capricorn
Cancer
Taurus

My good friend in my Pi Chi group got asked back to similar ones as me:

Aquarius
Leo
Sagittarius
Capricorn
Cancer
Pisces

I'm super happy with my schedule and so is my friend. Parties start at 10 AM so I have to get ready!
Old 08-24-2013, 07:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Really enjoying your story!!! You have a great outlook - keep that open mind and enjoy today!!
Old 08-24-2013, 07:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Go Capricorn!
Old 08-24-2013, 09:25 AM
GreekChat Member

I hope you have a great day!
Old 08-24-2013, 02:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Hope you're having a great day!
Old 08-24-2013, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Keeping my fingers crossed for you!
Old 08-24-2013, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator

Hope everything is going well today!
Old 08-24-2013, 09:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Philanthropy Day

Hi y'all! I'm typing this out since my last party ended before we can rank the chapters and I figured I'd do it now. Today was Philanthropy Day, so lots of videos and slideshows. Without further ado:

First was Gemini! The Gemini philanthropy was something that didn't really affect me directly but that I had volunteered for in the past, so I was excited to see them again and learn more about what they did to support it. I enjoyed their video and activities, and it seemed like all the actives truly enjoyed volunteering their time. The girls were funny and sweet and overall I had a good time here.

Next up was Aquarius. I already knew about the Aquarius philanthropy from when I went to their COB event last semester (one of the actives said to me that it was the first time she'd seen it and that it was top secret and I wanted to say, "Uhh no it's not, I've seen this before!"). Due to the nature of it they weren't able to get as hands-on as some other groups, but I didn't hold that against them. Two of the actives I talked to were actually in the same class that I'm taking this semester, which was either a freaky coincidence or they recognized me and purposely bumped to me, but either way I enjoyed myself. I was double rushed here but they handled it very well.

The last party of the morning was Leo. Although I knew a few Leos I had no idea what their philanthropy was about so I was excited to learn more about it. I was actually really disappointed by the presentation because besides the standard national video they didn't make it seem like they cared all that much or did all that much for their philanthropy. They did have an active who was affected by the philanthropy's cause speak for a bit about how important it was to her, but I didn't get that sense from the rest of the chapter. None of the actives I was with really spoke about it much, and the girl walking me out actually said "Oh shoot, I didn't really talk about our philanthropy with you guys!" , leading to a super-rushed last minute discussion. The girl from my state who said hi to me before came over again to greet me, which touched me. I think that the girls seem really sweet, but overall I'm not feeling it here.

After my lunch break I headed over to Sagittarius. My mom had always done something small to support the Sagittarius philanthropy, but I hadn't realized it until I started looking up sorority information online and realized that the little thing my mom had always done was actually for her sorority philanthropy, so even though I've never been directly affected by their cause it still meant a lot to me. I was not disappointed at all here! The girls were funny and sweet-we talked about random things like siblings doing laundry and shrinking our clothes-and the philanthropy video focused specifically on their chapter and the work they had done which really impressed me. I also spoke with several girls who had gone through recruitment and joined as sophomores, so I could tell this group had clearly done their homework with me! The president and recruitment chair also came by and said hello, and I overall felt wanted and super hopeful to go back tomorrow.

My second of four consecutive evening parties was at Capricorn. I didn't know what their philanthropy was at first, but they did a really good job of explaining it while showing how funny and tight they all were. I could tell that they cared about each other and had a close sisterhood. The actives I talked with raved about how much they loved volunteering for the local philanthropy, and it was clear that they were all very passionate about helping out. I left feeling awesome about them and hoping to see them again tomorrow.

Fiesta numero tres was at Cancer. Their topic was more serious and hit a little closer to home than some of the other topics (no pun intended with the name I swear), but the actives and the video conveyed that they were serious yet still wanted to enjoy themselves while volunteering. The girls seemed to genuinely like each other and were the most passionate for their philanthropy of all the groups I saw today. I had a wonderful time and would love to go back tomorrow.

The last party I had today was at Taurus. I had no idea what their philanthropy was coming in, so I was ready to learn more about it. Unfortunately, I didn't really see the point to it, and I just didn't feel like it addressed an immediate issue or made a lasting and visible difference. I felt bad for being so indifferent to something they were so passionate about but it just didn't move me to want to get involved. I was also double-rushed here but none of the actives seemed to be able to balance the conversation between me and the other girl I was with, so it was a lot of the other two girls talking about people they knew and me feeling completely left out. This happened a couple of times and I was a little miffed when I left because I felt ignored. The other PNM was also a little rude and acted like she was too good for the party, so I didn't really enjoy myself. I didn't talk to any of the nice girls I had talked to the day before, which disappointed me as well.

I haven't officially put my rankings in the computer yet but when I do this is what they will look like (we can go back to up to six tomorrow so I'm only ranking one):

Sagittarius
Capricorn
Cancer
Gemini
Aquarius
Leo

1. Taurus

I'm sad that I didn't have a good experience at Taurus like I did the first time, and I will be happy to go back again, but I will be really said if I lose Sagittarius, Capricorn, or Cancer. I get my schedule early again tomorrow so I'll just have to hope for the best!

ETA: My other friend in a different Pi Chi group got invited to the maximum nine parties today! She had:

Sagittarius
Capricorn
Cancer
Pisces
Aquarius
Aries
Gemini
Libra
and either Virgo or Taurus (the first friend reporting to me didn't remember)
This girl isn't even sure if she wants to continue past tonight, and here she is with a full schedule! I hope I see her tonight so I can ask her how she's feeling. She's a legacy to at least Aries and Aquarius, possibly more, so I hope they're treating her extra well.

Also, funny rushing story time! Friend Number One went to Pisces today, and at one point she asked the active rushing her what she was involved in. The active replied with something along the lines of well my major is super difficult so all I really do is Pisces stuff. When FNO asked what her major was, she said communications! No offense intended to any comm majors but saying that to a girl double-majoring in German and industrial engineering in the honors college was probably not the best way to go! Needless to say my friend was not very impressed with the group on the whole.

Last edited by clemsongirl; 08-24-2013 at 09:46 PM.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Changed my answer: I'm rooting for Sagittarius. I love continued legacies.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot