GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,406
1 members and 2,405 guests
Cookiez17

Old 08-03-2010, 05:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Did you guys wait eagerly for the August issue of Seventeen, which was double-thick and had the latest styles in it?
For me it was the August issue of Glamour magazine. Back in the day they had the "top ten best dressed college women" and I was So Impressed that for a couple of years in a row, there were women from UCSB Kappa Alpha Theta who made the top ten list. This was when I was in high school... I did NOT make that list BTW.

I'm digging through a scrapbook to find photos; this is a fun thread!
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-03-2010, 05:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieXi View Post
I want to play! (even though my rush was in 1997).
Mine was in 1997, too. August in the Midwest = hot and humid.

First round: sleeveless short jumper thing from Express in greens and blues. It looked better than it sounds, I promise. Whiteish sandals.

Second round: it was colder/rainy this day and I way overdressed. brown pants with white button-up shirt and long scarf. Beige mules. I looked about 10 years older than everyone else going through, blech.

Third round: I went way too casual as a reaction for overdressing the day before. Sleeveless black satin dress with floral print. It was waaaay too short for how tall I am. Black sandals.

Pref night: Black sleeveless calf-length dress with white trim around the arms, neck and right below the bust. Black sandals.

I had horrid fashion sense when I went through Rush. I also had the short Meg Ryan shag at the time, which was not the best cut for my hair type.
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Back in the 60's the fall clothes were called "transitional cottons." Ooh, September at Alabama in long sleeved dark plaid cotton dress! Why did I do that????
Old 08-03-2010, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

seventeen magazine-waited by the mailbox for mine!
Old 08-03-2010, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator

^^ to beat my younger sister to it.

AzTheta, I discovered that college/August Glamour issue once I hit college. I can remember reading about a Butler Pi Phi before I pledged. How wonderful it would have been to be named one of the Top 10!
Old 08-03-2010, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator

I had to get out my rush book when I wrote my Rush Thread. Quiana was high quality stuff! Other brands were PantHer, College Town, and of course, Gunne Sax!
Old 08-03-2010, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
For me it was the August issue of Glamour magazine. Back in the day they had the "top ten best dressed college women" and I was So Impressed that for a couple of years in a row, there were women from UCSB Kappa Alpha Theta who made the top ten list. This was when I was in high school... I did NOT make that list BTW.

I'm digging through a scrapbook to find photos; this is a fun thread!
What about Teen Magazine? There was a Teen Miss America every year, and was I excited as a pledge to see Jana Kerr is an ADPi!!
Old 08-03-2010, 07:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
One word: quiana.
Man, I hated that stuff!
Old 08-03-2010, 07:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
I had to get out my rush book when I wrote my Rush Thread. Quiana was high quality stuff! Other brands were PantHer, College Town, and of course, Gunne Sax!
My pref dress was a Gunne Sax. It was a street-length cotton and velvet sundress with a matching jacket I originally bought for the Christmas dance senior year. It was perfect for pref, even if it was September. I don't remember buying anything new for rush, and I don't think anyone else did either. Our school just wasn't that competitive.

Fun fact: Miss West Virginia 1980, Pam Paugh, was an Alpha Xi and was away at the Miss America pageant during rush that year. Her sister was Miss West Virginia 1977 Patsy Paugh, an AXD at another school ... now better known as the late Patsy Ramsey, mother of JonBenet.

Last edited by MUSK81; 08-03-2010 at 08:01 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:20 PM
GreekChat Member

You all have great memories! 1983 was a long time ago and I don't remember most of what I wore for rush, but I do remember what I wore when I signed up for rush during orientation: a Calvin Klein denim skirt and a green Polo shirt, tucked in with a skinny belt and of course the collar was turned up. On my feet were a pair of Bass sandals. I was so completely unprepared for rush that I had to go out the day of Pref and buy a dress. I was so desperate that I spent more than sixty dollars on it, which was a fortune for me then.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:30 PM

you made me go look in my scrapbook...

LOL PantHer!!!! I remember that well...Vicky Vaughn was another one around that time. I should just go look at the labels on Mom's clothing that I saved.

We had a structured informal rush that lasted 2 weeks, and 7 sororities. Meet the Greeks I have no clue what I wore. Same for much of the theme week, but I do remember I wore pleated capri jeans (lol) and an orange polo neck sweater to ASA's theme party.

First night of prefs I wore my HS graduation dress...blue and lavender plaid with this sort of corsety belt thing in the middle. Not really in season but it was one of the better things I had. Obvi I didn't "preplan" my rush outfits before I went back to college.

Second night of prefs I wore a pale pink tank-top dress (see the Steve Perry Oh Sherry video) with a (borrowed) dusty pink Shaker knit sweater over it. The first party of the night there were 50 sisters plus probably at least 60 rushees crammed into a dorm suite. With candles. I thought I was going to die of heat stroke. And THEN I had to go to another party. Bleeeaaahhh

Third night of prefs (this was ASA) I wore a black sweater with pink cabbage roses on it and my friend Tina's black knit skirt. (This was my fave outfit which is why I saved it for ASA. I kind of knew. )

As you can see I would have been royally screwed if I hadn't had a dorm floor of girls to borrow from - I don't think any of us made it the whole way through rush in completely our own clothes. This is just another reason I <3 deferred rush.

Pledge pickup night I wore jeans and the ubiquitous sleeveless/cap sleeve Shaker knit top.

On another note, I also remember what I wore the first day I got to campus. The aforementioned capri jeans, a rainbow striped cutout-back shirt I got in Florida, jelly shoes and every rubber Madonna bracelet I owned.

Last edited by 33girl; 08-03-2010 at 08:36 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:53 AM
GreekChat Member

1970s......USC......First round: a pink sleevless (a la tricia nixon) knit dress from Saks. Cinched in waist...white slingback shoes with pantyhose. Hair long, straight. I do not remember anything else except for what I wore for pledging. And that, despite the fact it was probably very fashionable, would sound atrocious.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Did you guys wait eagerly for the August issue of Seventeen, which was double-thick and had the latest styles in it?
OMIGOSH yes! I think I still have the 1969 edition. I used to try to save 1 magazine a year, just to go back and laugh at the fashions.
But I hated Seventeen for showing wool skirts and sweaters in August. In Alabama, we have about 2 weeks to wear that stuff...in February.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:14 AM
GreekChat Member

I used to wait for Seventeen, and Glamour and Mademoiselle!!!! YOU HAVE THE 1969 August edition?! I envy you.

Oh, and from the "olden" days: You know how you could tell if someone was cool or not? If they showed up at school in a sundress (on the first days of school when it was sweltering) or their back to school wool outfit.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:12 AM
GreekChat Member

1992-Since during the late eighties/early nineties we dressed for high school, I didn't have to buy anything new. I don't really remember too many of my outfits, but I know one day I wore a suit that had no collar and buttoned up the front with a skirt that was a black and white sort of tic pattern WITH hose of course. I'm sure I wore one of my many broaches with that...probably the one I had from Benneton. For Pledge to Panhellenic, I wore a blue, pink and black floral knit cotton dress with puffy sleeves. I have the picture for that one.