GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 2,343
1 members and 2,342 guests
amileqtivanova1
Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 11:48 AM

Investigation into Hazing at Texas SAE

http://www.statesman.com/news/conten...8/8hazing.html

Prosecutors investigating whether hazing preceded UT fraternity pledge's fatal fall
Sigma Alpha Epsilon is focus of probe after death of 18-year-old Tyler Cross.

This is the case where the pledge accidently fell from a 5th floor balcony of a dorm.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-17-2007, 04:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Update August 17 '07: Investigation Continuing

Station KVUE has an article about the investigation on its site:

http://www.kvue.com/news/top/stories....3e7f6663.html

Other Texas news sources, like the Austin American - Statesman and other stations, have stories too.

Last edited by exlurker; 08-17-2007 at 06:10 PM.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

"IF" they did and it is proven, how do they spell STOOPID in Texas?

Way to go guys!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 08-18-2007, 01:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post
"IF" they did and it is proven, how do they spell STOOPID in Texas?

Way to go guys!
Probably better than you.
Old 08-18-2007, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I think this is a good time to remember these are two separate issues.

Tyler's death was an unforunate tragedy with known circumstances that happen periodically to Greeks and non-Greeks alike. This does not excuse potential liability of any of a number of persons for any role in this specific situation, but this particular event was not the direct result of something unique to Greek Life.

The hazing is another matter entirely- and that is the business of the chapter, SAE and the appropriate city authorities to deal with.

What bothers me is local media making use of Tyler's death to attack the hazing issue. It adds a sensationalistic edge to a legitimate issue facing all Greeks and it plays on the stereotype of the evil frat guy.
Old 08-18-2007, 02:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EE-BO View Post
I think this is a good time to remember these are two separate issues.

Tyler's death was an unforunate tragedy with known circumstances that happen periodically to Greeks and non-Greeks alike. This does not excuse potential liability of any of a number of persons for any role in this specific situation, but this particular event was not the direct result of something unique to Greek Life.

The hazing is another matter entirely- and that is the business of the chapter, SAE and the appropriate city authorities to deal with.

What bothers me is local media making use of Tyler's death to attack the hazing issue. It adds a sensationalistic edge to a legitimate issue facing all Greeks and it plays on the stereotype of the evil frat guy.
You know as well as I do how the media (The Statesman, etc.) in Austin treats Greeks. They present articles and information with an extreme amount of bias and a general disdain for everything associated with us, especially the fraternities.

It's been an extremely long and difficult ordeal, we hope to get it resolved soon.
Old 08-18-2007, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macallan25 View Post
You know as well as I do how the media (The Statesman, etc.) in Austin treats Greeks. They present articles and information with an extreme amount of bias and a general disdain for everything associated with us, especially the fraternities.

It's been an extremely long and difficult ordeal, we hope to get it resolved soon.
Brother,
You are all in our thoughts.
Old 08-18-2007, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Probably better than you.
I do not doubt that a bit.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 08-18-2007, 08:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I certainly wish you all well in that- and yes, I well remember how the papers treated us. Mostly the Daily Texan back in my day though- the involvement of city newspapers was less common.

When that young man died last fall who was in that newer GLO located over by 19th and Rio Grande, it not only got Statesman coverage but there were several articles in the Houston Chronicle as well.

Not sure why the trend, but my first theory is that city newspapers in general are moving in a direction where they pick up and sensationalize stories like this in an effort to emulate the more successful cable network format and try to hang on to their readership as the newspaper format becomes less relevant and relied on in general.

Back in my time, the Daily Texan ran articles for MONTHS because someone had been photographed indoors at a private fraternity party (not a Beta party, but one of the other big houses at the time) wearing blackface- and he was photographed by someone who illegally entered the party for the paper, thus violating one of those key risk management concepts (no open parties) that our critics like to think we ignore.

Granted, if I ever dropped by my chapter and saw someone in blackface I would be pretty pissed, but there is no grounds for such a thing done indoors on private property to be broadcast in the media.

Come to think of it, maybe I should not be so surprised about the ethics of many journalists considering what a lot of the student journalists at Texas were practicing in their formative years. (To be fair, the Daily Texan appears far more responsibly run now than it was back then.)
Old 08-19-2007, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Haha, yeah, The Daily Texas is nothing short of a terrible publication.

.....they hate us.

Last edited by macallan25; 08-19-2007 at 03:34 PM.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Haha, yeah, The Daily Texas is nothing short of a terrible publication.

.....they hate us.

All GLos or just SAE?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 08-22-2007, 03:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Everyone
Old 08-22-2007, 09:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post
All GLos or just SAE?
My Brother answered before I could Tom.
Given the tone of several of the posters in this thread, a very fair
guess would have been ALL GLO's.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Update on Investigation (November 17, 2007)

Station KVUE has an update (November 16, 2007) about the investigation:

http://www.kvue.com/news/local/stori....defda43.html#

Brief excerpts:
. . . the University of Texas has completed an investigation into the death of Tyler Cross.
The 18-year old freshman died November 17th, 2006 when he fell from his 5th story balcony . . . ..
. . . the U.T. Dean of Students told KVUE that the university has taken action against several members of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity, but . . . would not give specifics.

She did say the question now is what action if any the university will take against the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity itself.

This summer, an investigation by the Travis County Attorney's office discovered that fraternity members may have used a cattle prod on Tyler Cross before his death.

There's also a question of who provided alcohol for the teenager. His blood alcohol content was . . . more than twice the legal limit in Texas.

The Travis County Attorney says he's waiting on the U.T. Dean of Students to make a decision regarding Sigma Alpha Epsilon before his office takes any further action.

Last edited by exlurker; 11-17-2007 at 06:18 PM.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Update April 15, 2008
The local newspaper in Austin has a fairly long article that describes the terms and conditions recently agreed upon by the university and Sigma Alpha Epsilon. A few quotes from various officials and representatives are included:

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/conte...agreement.html

Edited to add: The university's press release, which includes a link to the complete agreement (which I believe is also available from a source given in the next post in this thread), is at:

http://www.utexas.edu/news/2008/04/15/sae-agreement/

Last edited by exlurker; 04-15-2008 at 06:23 PM. Reason: to add URL for UT news item / press release
Closed Thread